House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

corevalue

Midata, Is There A Way To Opt-Out?

I was surprised to learn of a new government "consumer initiative", which has the aim to make a consumer's data available to them in machine readable format. I can't yet see any benefit of it to me, as I already know what I spend my money on (surprise!). There is a rationale that your detailed past information on say, electricity usage, can be used to find a better tariff, but I still can't see how that works because it is PAST information, as far as I know we haven't developed magical means of seeing into the future, such as which appliances I might decide to buy, or when I go on holiday.

Looks like an invitation to the fraudsters to gain a lot of detailed info to me; and make it easy for the government and big business to build ever more detailed information about my private life.

All the utilities and banks etc seem to be pushed into the scheme, but quite frankly, I'd rather not have them sending out my detailed usage of their services. In fact, I'd rather have the reverse, my data is NOT to be shared with any third-party and should be kept anonymous.

What thinks the off-topicers, is there any benefit to the "consumer"?

from a quick google, this doesnt seem particularly new (2011) and it only affects a handful of companies mostly around price comparison for energy and mobile phone deals.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-midata-vision-of-consumer-empowerment

you can probably opt out of downloading the data, but I doubt you can opt out of the data being collected in the first place.

from a quick google, this doesnt seem particularly new (2011) and it only affects a handful of companies mostly around price comparison for energy and mobile phone deals.

https://www.gov.uk/g...mer-empowerment

you can probably opt out of downloading the data, but I doubt you can opt out of the data being collected in the first place.

I think you find the intent is to go much further.

I hope by now I’m starting to get through to people about online identity management, because here in the UK a whole lotta folk are about to be forced to sign their life over to an Identity Provider. The UK government has decided to host all of its public services online, to fulfill the ‘Digital by Default’strategy. The Government Digital Strategy is now expected to be up and running by April 2014. Five companies have been chosen to provide identity management for UK citizens, one of which, the Post Office, will serve as registration centers for biometric smart ID enrollment.

When I try to tell people about this, and how it’s a global scheme, they just don’t seem to hear me. I can only think that the power of the media is responsible – they simply aren’t informing the public properly about this matter, so because you’re only hearing it from me, it perhaps doesn’t seem as real?

Well, it is.

Horribly so.

http://aworldchaos.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/global-smart-id-for-all-uk-citizens/

This is what we will be expected to hand over to third party "personal data centers"

Now consider another BIS initiative. midata. And in particular, the midata Innovation Lab (mIL).

mIL is the

centre of midata whose task it is to fan the flames of innovation with a view to "empowering" you and to "boosting" the UK economy.

How does that work?

Let mIL tell you themselves. The four pages of terms and conditions for taking part in their laboratory experiments include this:

We ask that you bring along all your personal identity documentation, login user names and passwords for all your accounts, including banking and finances, utilities, telecommunications, loyalty cards, automotive and property rental or mortgage information. Time will be allocated during the event to capture your personal data in a secure way, this will not include your passwords and usernames which will remain confidential to you. Where you are giving access to data from jointly held accounts, please make sure that the other party is happy for you to do so. Agreeing to participate as a consumer volunteertly [sic] held accounts, please make sure that the other party is happy for you to do so.

Embrace the Luddism! There are no computers here! :huh: c

There is no more "data" I need! ;)