House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shindigger

Wireless Router Recommendations.

Have just replaced my old Orange Wanadoo Livebox with a Netgear DGN100.

The connection is WAY faster, but i'm getting annoying drop outs.

Having googled, it seems the Netgear is prone to this.

Have been recording radio shows off the net over xmas and am annoyed to find long periods of sod all on the recordings. :rolleyes:

Any good solid replacements i should be looking at?

TP Link for instance?

I'm with Orange Broadband.

Have you thought of throttling it back a bit? I turned down mine from 300Mb to 144, as I am using half the bandwidth now and there is less chance of interference! :blink:

I cancelled my Orange BB subscription because of dropouts. I understand from a BT insider that there was a problem with the interface between Orange and BT. That may still be the case.

Have you thought of throttling it back a bit? I turned down mine from 300Mb to 144, as I am using half the bandwidth now and there is less chance of interference! :blink:

Thanks, will look in to this.

Will also do a reset on the box as it was used on another line previously.

I had zero drop outs while using the Livebox for 9 years, so don't think there's any compatability issues on this line.

Though i have read same.

Have just replaced my old Orange Wanadoo Livebox with a Netgear DGN100.

The connection is WAY faster, but i'm getting annoying drop outs.

Having googled, it seems the Netgear is prone to this.

Have been recording radio shows off the net over xmas and am annoyed to find long periods of sod all on the recordings. :rolleyes:

Any good solid replacements i should be looking at?

TP Link for instance?

I'm with Orange Broadband.

I've one of these: http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U seems to be completely rock solid and nice VPN capability - but was a couple of hundred quid..

Also one of these on my work broadband: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=7181&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CJqUvq7L0LsCFWnjwgodVTgAOQ I paid about £108 for this, but they are now down to about £70 - so good value for such a good box.

Both are good reliable and seem to deliver good signal/speed across my house which is pretty large.

The only downside I've seen is that the Billion's HTTP server for the admin pages sometime seems to crash out following the most recent firmware update, but that is only if it has been on for a long time and doesn't impact normal usage - so happy to live with that on a configure and forget basis know that if I need to change a config, I just reboot before hand.

I've one of these: http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U seems to be completely rock solid and nice VPN capability - but was a couple of hundred quid..

Also one of these on my work broadband: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=7181&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CJqUvq7L0LsCFWnjwgodVTgAOQ I paid about £108 for this, but they are now down to about £70 - so good value for such a good box.

Both are good reliable and seem to deliver good signal/speed across my house which is pretty large.

The only downside I've seen is that the Billion's HTTP server for the admin pages sometime seems to crash out following the most recent firmware update, but that is only if it has been on for a long time and doesn't impact normal usage - so happy to live with that on a configure and forget basis know that if I need to change a config, I just reboot before hand.

Thanks for this. The Billion looks like a good candidate.

Though have been tinkering under the hood* of this Netgear thing and its behaving itself at the moment.

*Paperclip in the hole.

I'm interested in this.

We have BT Infinity and we get constant drop outs which are only solved by resetting the box. I want to buy a new rouer but I'd rather have a recommendation before shelling out.

Get a little tool called InSIDDer! It's free! Put it on a machine with wireless access! See your neighbours interfering with your wireless access! If your signal is twice as wide as some of the others, well cut it to a lower bitrate! The eleven channels are actually only three as they overlap! If you are using two channels you will get twice the interference! <_<

I haven't had DSL for years so I'm out of touch on these and can't speak from personal experience, only what I read others writing...

Billion devices have always been well rated, unless you can get "fibre to the cabinet" AND you're right next to it AND the cabling is good quality AND you sync at near the top rate (80Meg down) in which case they don't perform quite so well under that load.

They are however well rated for performing well on longer lines (average line is about 3600m) for ADSL so if your speed is crap they might help out, precisely as buckers says.

DSL is all about trying to make crappy old phone lines manage broadband signals and it's a toss-up between performance and reliability. Too fast and the "sync" will drop which does correspond with the OP's issue. It might be that the Orange box is "optimised" to work with BT ADSL2+ (Orange = BT, it is not a provider in its own right) and the Netgear is trying a little too hard to get better speeds - and succeeding - at the expense of signal drops.

Before you spend any money it might be worth:

1. Ten minutes on the ThinkBT, sorry, I mean ThinkBroadband website (.com) asking about this and posting up the stats from your router to get opinions from those far more knowledgeable than me;

2. A call to Orange about this as some providers have "profiles" (performance, reliability) and they might be able to put you on the latter trading speed for reliability making the drop outs go away

3. Reverting back to your Orange box. It may be that the phone line isn't good enough to supply the higher speeds the Netgear is trying for. Point (1) will get you an answer to that.

Finally, I have a TP-Link router here which I used to use for 3G when we had it (4G now) and it was problematic at best - software great, hardware a little on the shite side - their DSL routers might be better but it isn't the name which springs to mind when I think of recommendations.

Many thanks for all the tips.

I spent a bit of time in the router settings and have dropped it to "up to 65mbps" instead of 150.

I also changed to ADSL2+.

I discovered on Amazon that the Netgear DGN1000 is not a real N router in any case.

I'm getting 14Mbps down and just over 1Mbps up. So my line is fairly decent. Certainly getting a better down speed than i did with the old Livebox.

I will see how it plays out today regarding the connectivity.

I may opt for an Orange / EE Brightbox from Ebay, as they are going for about a fiver, so could be a good low risk / low cost fix/upgrade.

Failing that, will stump for a Billion.

Cheers.