House Price Crash Forum

Don't Close Those Foodbanks Just Yet

HOLA441
More than 32,000 people have not received benefit payments in time for Christmas due to a Department for Work and Pensions "administrative error".

The cash was due to go into bank accounts on Christmas Eve but will not now be paid until Friday 27 December.

Most of those affected are first-time claimants or people expecting loans to cover rent and other "essential" items.

The DWP said they would get their money within three hours if they called the department or a Jobcentre by 5pm.

A spokesman said the problem had affected only a "limited number" of claimants, totalling 32,200, and Jobcentre staff were trying to get money to those who got in touch.

"The vast majority of regular benefit payments have been made on time this Christmas," the spokesman added.

"However, due to an administrative issue, a number of one-off or more irregular payments will now be paid on 27 December, rather than the 24th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25504977

Good that they are pulling out the stops to provide a fallback but ffs the admin / IT system is dire.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25504977

Good that they are pulling out the stops to provide a fallback but ffs the admin / IT system is dire.

BAcS do publish a processing calendar. Clearing dates would be 24th or 27th so I guess it missed the friday run for whatever reason and went on to the Monday for 27th clearing. Would be expensive to send them by same day chaps I think but they could have done this Today but chose not to? I suppose that might of meant a double payment chaps today and a bacs on 27th.

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA445

BAcS do publish a processing calendar. Clearing dates would be 24th or 27th so I guess it missed the friday run for whatever reason and went on to the Monday for 27th clearing. Would be expensive to send them by same day chaps I think but they could have done this Today but chose not to? I suppose that might of meant a double payment chaps today and a bacs on 27th.

They don't need to CHAPS them, they should all be faster payment by now. I bet the 32k is a massive understatement.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

How can people be so desperate? if I don't receive my salary this month I can live for about 3 years before I have a problem.

Well, quite. Unfortunately through choice or circumstances not everyone is in the same place. I'll also wager you haven't spent significant amounts of your life on minimum wage or less - which has enabled you to build up a buffer.

HOLA4411

So the people who aspire to introduce Universal Credit cannot even operate the existing system? :lol:

All they had to do was reduce the 'Mariginal Deduction Rate'/'Effective Marginal Tax Rate' on earned income relative to JSA/ESA from 100% to 65%, and raise the income disregard from £5 a week to £30.

The MDR/EMTR will still exceed 65% for most claimants of UC on their initial earnings. What a mess.

HOLA4412

How can people be so desperate? if I don't receive my salary this month I can live for about 3 years before I have a problem.

+1 me too

It's a nice position to be in really lowers stress levels.

I don't think I even want to buy into the ponzi and give up my buffer. It's a hell of a gamble.

Also as people on here often state it's giving up the opportunity cost of being free to make investments as well

Edited by workingpoor

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Thread title suggests there won't be a need for food welfare in the future. Gulp!

Nah, I meant for Christmas!

Whilst I know people on a decent wage who piss it all away and live on debt so would be stuffed if they lost their jobs I also know people on low wages and tax credits who have very little money left over that they can save.

I suppose I'm saying that whilst Sky Tv, take-aways, and "because I'm worth it" purchases = skint; the corollary isn't the case in most instances.

HOLA4415

The benefits system penalises that, so someone on minimum wage had to have any capital either in a house ownership or a pension

Edit: just read back through your posts, you're a late stage boomer, born 1962, never had to pay back student loans, had cheap housing to purchase, govt supported that anyway, generous benefits system when you needed it, excellent employment statistics throughout the most productive years of your life, and now you're coming along moralizing to those who didn't

Please stfu

Edited by Si1

HOLA4416

The benefits system penalises that, so someone on minimum wage had to have any capital either in a house ownership or a pension

Edit: just read back through your posts, you're a late stage boomer, born 1962, never had to pay back student loans, had cheap housing to purchase, govt supported that anyway, generous benefits system when you needed it, excellent employment statistics throughout the most productive years of your life, and now you're coming along moralizing to those who didn't

Please stfu

Harsh, but so very very true.

I just looked through his prior posts, blew £35 a month on his daughters mobile phone contract and yet criticizes others for being financially profligate. Doesn't realize how lucky he is financially. Born to a generation that had everything handed to it on a plate.

No doubt he'll be voting for more NHS spending, keeping the triple lock on pensions and the winter fuel allowance, while cutting "welfare" spending because we are spending too much on "scroungers"......

Edited by alexw

HOLA4417

Harsh, but so very very true.

I just looked through his prior posts, blew £35 a month on his daughters mobile phone contract and yet criticizes others for being financially profligate. Doesn't realize how lucky he is financially. Born to a generation that had everything handed to it on a plate.

No doubt he'll be voting for more NHS spending, keeping the triple lock on pensions and the winter fuel allowance, while cutting "welfare" spending because we are spending too much on "scroungers"......

Glad I am not the only one who thinks blowing £35 a month on you daughters phone contract is crazy. Teaches the kid nothing. One can only hope that she will be able to afford the best things in life when she starts earning other wise the rest of her life will seem a disappointment.