House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Festive ******** To You All

Thankfully, nobody has bought me a festive ash-tray and matching lighter, this year, for I do not smoke!

I obviously got no "presents" this year as God says I have enough shit already, and also I have no friends!

Is anyone else as happy a I am? :blink:

I'm lying on a tropical beach with a well made piece of ebony.

Thank God for pagan festivals :blink:

I'm putting on the "ancient robes" for the ritual stealing of the Church Bell, from Felching Barton Priory! I'm not looking forward to his, as I'm driving again! And I don't have the estate car any more! :blink:

I snagged a fair few bargains at the supermarket last night, so it ain't all bad. And most of my gifts are edible which is better than the tat I see others getting.

Xmas truly is the ignoble festival of a consumerist society. Santa is the embodiment of the credit card bringing you endless possessions on tick.

1zg8go3.jpg

I got an interesting present this time round, which surprised me. My sister bought me a water flossing "thing". I've never got the hang of normal flossing. This gizmo uses a water jet to clean between your teeth. It may sound like a non-starter, but let me tell you this thing is lethal. It's apparently 50% more effective than normal flossing.

Generally though I think this year is a turning point for me in what I buy. I'm so tired of Made In China trash. From my wife I picked out a beautiful ornamental slice of Agate rock from Brazil. I want things that will LAST.

Generally though I think this year is a turning point for me in what I buy. I'm so tired of Made In China trash. From my wife I picked out a beautiful ornamental slice of Agate rock from Brazil. I want things that will LAST.

How many USB ports has it got?

I got an interesting present this time round, which surprised me. My sister bought me a water flossing "thing". I've never got the hang of normal flossing. This gizmo uses a water jet to clean between your teeth. It may sound like a non-starter, but let me tell you this thing is lethal. It's apparently 50% more effective than normal flossing.

Keep an eye out or that Agate in your local charity shops over the next month or two.

Keep an eye out or that Agate in your local charity shops over the next month or two.

For some reason I am amused by that! :blink: See me after assembly in the staff room! ;)

Yes, I remember commenting to some friends a while back that I wish some would cut out the middle man and donate any present directly to the charity shop.

Anything advertised as a giftset is the worst. Thoughtless, worthless presents designed to tick the lowest common denominator boxes.

Yes, I remember commenting to some friends a while back that I wish some would cut out the middle man and donate any present directly to the charity shop.

Anything advertised as a giftset is the worst. Thoughtless, worthless presents designed to tick the lowest common denominator boxes.

Dave Gorman made the distinction between a present and a gift:

Its quite a simple concept "presents" are things that you would actually buy for your self: books, clothing, perfume etc. "Gifts" are those things that are created especially for giving and are not something you'd not buy for yourself

It's taken a while but I've managed to convince half my family that I don't want gifts, but money to something specific. I want a decent rucksack as some of the modern £150+ ones are just so good, the weight distribution is ace and they have a moulded back allowing air to circulate and cool your back. So notes in a card please and I am accumulating the money (we don't do big presents!) in a pot and when it hits the target I will buy it and show people what they've been buying me.

Obviously I could nip out and buy it tomorrow, but then I'd back to gift sets and "what do you want?" questions.

Dave Gorman made the distinction between a present and a gift:

Its quite a simple concept "presents" are things that you would actually buy for your self: books, clothing, perfume etc. "Gifts" are those things that are created especially for giving and are not something you'd not buy for yourself

Sarah! You are sounding like my ex-wife! :ph34r: Except we obviously had it the wrong way round! We always reckoned a "present" was a token gesture, but a "gift" really was for you! :(

You too! In my office after assembly! ;)

Sarah! You are sounding like my ex-wife! :ph34r: Except we obviously had it the wrong way round! We always reckoned a "present" was a token gesture, but a "gift" really was for you! :(

You too! In my office after assembly! ;)

There is a definite distinction whatever way round you call it.

Do they have assembly anymore?

There is a definite distinction whatever way round you call it.

Do they have assembly anymore?

I have no idea! I used to avoid "assembly" with all the Catholics and Jews, and Islamiics! And Hindus too!

God was too good for us! :blink: I always found that strange! :blink: