House Price Crash Forum

Ar%ses On Twitter.

SarahBell

HOLA441

John Hartevelt ‏@jhartevelt

Two and a half hours late, in a queue of 35+ planes waiting to take off at Heathrow. The annual UK transport meltdown is on. #ukstorm

10:32 PM - 23 Dec 13

I think they need to ban people from flying. Just because they get so upset when it's delayed because of the weather.

HOLA442

I loathe twitter.

The average twitter enthusiast actually has nothing of any real importance to say, but it fits in nicely with the narcissism of our times. It helps people feel more important than they are; everyone is a mini-celebrity.

HOLA443

I loathe twitter.

The average twitter enthusiast actually has nothing of any real importance to say, but it fits in nicely with the narcissism of our times. It helps people feel more important than they are; everyone is a mini-celebrity.

Well there is that - I almost replied at him and started a twar. But cba and it'd only make him feel important.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I loathe twitter.

#this

HOLA446

I loathe twitter.

+1, i used to use it as a modern RSS feex, with sports teams, technology companies etc on my feed as they posted some decent updates

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I loathe twitter.

I was an early adopter of twitter - but I haven't used it for a couple of years now. Perhaps I'm getting jaded, but I grew utterly bored by the pointless of it - never mind the time/mindspace commitment required. It has some value for breaking news for those into that kind of thing.

You are right about the narcissism. It's become an epidemic. I have young relatives who post gauche near identical self portraits several times a day - never mind the colleagues who expect me to coo over yet another picture of their puking offspring or snapshot of another tediously familiar attempt to find themselves in a foreign land.

HOLA4410

I have never been to Twitter! Please feel welcome to join the twits here!

Has Santa brought you anything totally useless this year? I mean something you wouldn't buy for yourself, as you neither needed or wanted it! :lol:

HOLA4411

Cast your collective minds back to the early days of the internet.

People didn't really know what it was for. There was the Cambridge coffee pot, a camera on a coffee pot in the computer department so that people in the Mond room could see if there was any coffee before they made the trek downstairs, and most other websites were people setting up a page about themselves, sort of an extended profile. "Here's me, I live here, this is my family, I work at etc.". I haven't seen one of those for years.

In the years that followed the internet developed to provide active news, hotel bookings, shopping, online games.

Now those profile pages have come back, via Facebook and twitter, to tell you everything you weren't remotely interested in about somebody you have never met. With the added plus that you can get a real time update on things that you hold no interest for you such as what they might have for lunch and baby's new hat.

The benefit of twitter, as noted, is first hand updates of news events such as hurricanes, and trend analysis. Although both of those I like to receive at one remove.

HOLA4412

Cast your collective minds back to the early days of the internet.

People didn't really know what it was for. There was the Cambridge coffee pot, a camera on a coffee pot in the computer department so that people in the Mond room could see if there was any coffee before they made the trek downstairs, and most other websites were people setting up a page about themselves, sort of an extended profile. "Here's me, I live here, this is my family, I work at etc.". I haven't seen one of those for years.

In the years that followed the internet developed to provide active news, hotel bookings, shopping, online games.

Now those profile pages have come back, via Facebook and twitter, to tell you everything you weren't remotely interested in about somebody you have never met. With the added plus that you can get a real time update on things that you hold no interest for you such as what they might have for lunch and baby's new hat.

The benefit of twitter, as noted, is first hand updates of news events such as hurricanes, and trend analysis. Although both of those I like to receive at one remove.

Great analysis. When that's ALL there was to the web it was still fun and intriguing; something new.

HOLA4413

I loathe twitter.

Well, I'm going to claim I'm not an average twitter enthusiast. I just hope that by re-tweeting some stuff and supporting a cause it can help in some way.

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

I was raised up believing I was somehow unique

Like a snowflake distinct among snowflakes, unique in each way you can see

And now after some thinking, I'd say I'd rather be

A functioning cog in some great machinery serving something beyond me

HOLA4414

Let's for one moment consider Celebrities spottedmet whilst travelling .

By definition, unless they knock on your front door, you've 'travelled' to get wherever you've met them. But no, this is an opportunity to regale us with tales of your own 'travelling'. Afaic travelling is a foul (or whatever) in basketball and I don't even like the sport. No one needs twitter to be an arze. I should know.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Check his twitter account. I'm a follower.

Oh the irony - even he thinks there may be a point to Twitter as he can't help using it for advertising @offthekerb - just in case

That said - I started using twitter this year for work purposes as 'it's there and others use it' - not sure if it brings any benefits, but it may help raise awareness and is part of an overall PR strategy.

HOLA4417

I'm not giving it its own thread but here is a pointless twitter thread made out to be a newspaper story. I'm ashamed to say that I read through it, thinking that there must be some point to it that I wasn't grasping, but there isn't.

In summary: 37 year old woman that you've never heard of wears a bikini and has a jet-skiing lesson.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2528763/Lady-Victoria-Hervey-displays-lean-bikini-body-itsy-bitsy-yellow-bandeau-enjoys-jet-ski-lesson-Barbados.html

This is desperate space-filling stuff :( like being forced to sit through somebody's tedious holiday snaps.

It makes Susannah Reid flashing her knickers look like headline news.

HOLA4418

I'm not giving it its own thread but here is a pointless twitter thread made out to be a newspaper story. I'm ashamed to say that I read through it, thinking that there must be some point to it that I wasn't grasping, but there isn't.

In summary: 37 year old woman that you've never heard of wears a bikini and has a jet-skiing lesson.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2528763/Lady-Victoria-Hervey-displays-lean-bikini-body-itsy-bitsy-yellow-bandeau-enjoys-jet-ski-lesson-Barbados.html

This is desperate space-filling stuff :( like being forced to sit through somebody's tedious holiday snaps.

It makes Susannah Reid flashing her knickers look like headline news.

In that case I won't post this one either then.

I have no idea who those people are.

I like this bit though. "Sofia wore a royal blue bikini top and black G-string style bottoms with little else." What else would she be wearing, under the circumstances?

HOLA4419

I like this bit though. "Sofia wore a royal blue bikini top and black G-string style bottoms with little else." What else would she be wearing, under the circumstances?

Now that's news, and with the killer pay-off: Sofia was also in Miami in March 2009 and wore a large hat to shield her skin from the sun

This stuff is dynamite! Large hat eh? <takes out notepad>

HOLA4420

I think people sitting on phones all day messing about with the internet is becoming a real addiction problem. Everyone needs to be mentally stimulated constantly even with drivel.

Its starting to cause arguments between me and those around me as i find it really annoying being with someone who seems more immersed in Facebook or some other crap.

Personally i have started to limit my time on here, much for the same reason. You can spend an entire evening concentrating and achieving sod all. If people spent the same effort reading or applying themselves to something they would be doing a lot better.

HOLA4421

I think people sitting on phones all day messing about with the internet is becoming a real addiction problem. Everyone needs to be mentally stimulated constantly even with drivel.

Its starting to cause arguments between me and those around me as i find it really annoying being with someone who seems more immersed in Facebook or some other crap.

Personally i have started to limit my time on here, much for the same reason. You can spend an entire evening concentrating and achieving sod all. If people spent the same effort reading or applying themselves to something they would be doing a lot better.

It is an addiction, i.e. it changes your brain wiring. More and more studies are showing this.

I've been hooked for years, and it's getting worse; I can't spend too long away from my phone or the internet without the need to check it again.

As you say, it trains you to require constant stimulation. The amount of time I spend here, or checking here, every day is absurd, and it's basically a poor substitute for real relationships in my life.

I've just turned 30, so this is gonna have to stop. Gonna try an experiment for the next 3 months; only check/post on HPC on a Sunday, and limit the time spent on it to half an hour (I did a similar thing for the dating sites I was on because I was spending too long mindlessly browsing them),

If anyone catches me putting any more posts up after this one which aren't on a Sunday, give me a virtual slap ;)

HOLA4422

It is an addiction, i.e. it changes your brain wiring. More and more studies are showing this.

I've been hooked for years, and it's getting worse; I can't spend too long away from my phone or the internet without the need to check it again.

As you say, it trains you to require constant stimulation. The amount of time I spend here, or checking here, every day is absurd, and it's basically a poor substitute for real relationships in my life.

I've just turned 30, so this is gonna have to stop. Gonna try an experiment for the next 3 months; only check/post on HPC on a Sunday, and limit the time spent on it to half an hour (I did a similar thing for the dating sites I was on because I was spending too long mindlessly browsing them),

If anyone catches me putting any more posts up after this one which aren't on a Sunday, give me a virtual slap ;)

You naughty man! Lucky ******* I would say! I turned 30 about 300 years ago! :(

HOLA4423

Who the effin hell are these people?!?!?

It's got me thinking, if these nobodies can get into the DM, maybe there are full page spreads of me and Mr Pin in the Daily Mail too!

HOLA4424

Who the effin hell are these people?!?!?

It's got me thinking, if these nobodies can get into the DM, maybe there are full page spreads of me and Mr Pin in the Daily Mail too!

I have seen a full page spread of you and Pin but it wasn't in the Daily Mail.

HOLA4425

I have seen a full page spread of you and Pin but it wasn't in the Daily Mail. :blink:

Stop reading that filth! It is the Birthday of Jesus!! Surely you have the DVD?

Archived