House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Husband Fights Doctors In Bid To Let Comatose Pregnant Wife Die - Despite The Unborn Baby Still Alive Inside Her

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2528378/We-knew-wishes-Husband-wants-pregnant-wife-taken-life-support.html

Erick Munoz of Fort Wort, Texas found his wife Marlise unconscious on the kitchen floor on November 26

Marlise was 14 weeks pregnant at the time, too early in the pregnancy for the baby to survive outside the mother

She remains on life support because Texas law forbids any action that would harm an unborn child in such cases

'I don't agree with this law': Erick says he and his wife, who are both paramedics, long ago agreed they wouldn't want to remain on life support

But in Texas, doctors must take all life saving measures to preserve the life of an unborn baby, which in this case remains too immature to survive outside the womb.

‘We knew what her wishes were,’ Erick, who found his wife unconscious on their kitchen floor and fought in vain to resuscitate her, told WFAA.

Not sure I'd want to turn off the life support and I'm guessing if you asked the wife if she'd want the life support turning off with a living baby inside her I wonder if the answer would be different?

However who picks up the bill for this, as I'm guessing keeping her on life support isn't going to be cheap.

At what point is it a baby?

When it can survive outside the some on its own?

Brain activity? Isn't that what SPUCK use for their definition?

24 weeks is about minimum isn't it?

Not sure how many weeks foetus has to be to have no risk of prem birth defects, 32-34 weeks?

What is the chance that the baby could be brought to term with the mother comatose?

Quite high, judging by some of the women you see in England.

Don't tell me that as well as the MMGW crowd we've got a resident bloc of "pro-lifers' now :-(

Abortion isn't nice. Its not just hearing of the details of how the foetus is removed, but forevermore wondering what that child might have been like and knowing that a child did not come into the world because you were so much less of the human being you could have been. Yet people write of abortions as if they were like just having a mole or blemish removed, as if they were nothing. I suppose many people are not troubled by ghosts of people who never were. But they do not speak for everyone.

Abortion isn't nice.

Particularly late abortion when you've had to decide whether to carry a defective foetus to term, or abort it. Just happened to a friend of mine at five months' gestation. She's devastated.

Always look on the "bright side" ! An late abortion is an early birth! Don't kill babies! you can shoot them when they are older!

Particularly late abortion when you've had to decide whether to carry a defective foetus to term, or abort it. Just happened to a friend of mine at five months' gestation. She's devastated.

!

I can imagine! I'm nowhere near that ******* you think I am! :blink:

Don't tell me that as well as the MMGW crowd we've got a resident bloc of "pro-lifers' now :-(

Have we decided on a 'Godwins' equivalent in respect to references to MMGW on internet threads?

Have we decided on a 'Godwins' equivalent in respect to references to MMGW on internet threads?

We all need different opinions!! I had one once, but then I forgot it! :blink:

I think we have, that's the subject here with the most entrenched views with threads that endlessly spit out the same old responses.

It is, of course, fictional :P

When it can survive outside the some on its own?

Brain activity? Isn't that what SPUCK use for their definition?

24 weeks is about minimum isn't it?

Not sure how many weeks foetus has to be to have no risk of prem birth defects, 32-34 weeks?

According to a recent paper in the Journal of Medical Ethics, extrapolating the arguments used to support pre birth abortion, newborns would be fine too.

The JME subsequently pulled the paper but a piece explaining 'Why Did the Journal Publish an Article Defending Infanticide?' can be seen here

edit: correction, the original paper is still online here

Guest eight

Equivalent? A nazi is a nazi is a nazi.....

Er... no. :)

Nor me!

MMGW is the old tag meaning man made global warming. When it was spotted that this had lost credibility (and was sexist to boot) it was altered to "Climate Change". Which is what climate does.

CAGW - um, Californian?

Nor me!

MMGW is the old tag meaning man made global warming. When it was spotted that this had lost credibility (and was sexist to boot) it was altered to "Climate Change". Which is what climate does.

CAGW - um, Californian?

Frank, you are incorrect. I believe it was Republican pollster Frank Luntz, (who often appears on Newsnight) that came up with the idea to change 'global warming' to 'climate change' because the former was too scary and might prompt too many US voters into demanding some policy action.