House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debtlessmanc

Creator Of Ak47 Dead

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-25497013

So Kalashnikov is dead, would you be proud of his legacy, also he died poorer than any western arms maker- right ot wrong?

I think those apes in Space Oddyssey were the ones who didnt sleep well, for it was they that used a weapon to gain advantage of fellow apes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25497013

So Kalashnikov is dead, would you be proud of his legacy, also he died poorer than any western arms maker- right ot wrong?

Yeah, I'd be proud of his legacy. We can't all work for NGOs that feed the starving children.

Besides its just a gun.

Is it right or wrong that he dies poorer than Western arms designers? I think its neither right nor wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25497013

It's a very good basic weapon that is easy to maintain. Not greatly accurate at distance but then if you have but if you have enough soldiers firing them it doesn't really matter.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130493013

It was copied from the german stg44 captured during ww2.

the calibre was changed to 7.62 from the german 7.92 used in ww2.

many other weapons have taken design ques from german ww2 designs

the US m60 belt fed machine gun borrowed heavily from the MG44 spandau

It's a very good basic weapon that is easy to maintain. Not greatly accurate at distance but then if you have but if you have enough soldiers firing them it doesn't really matter.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130493013

From one of the comments in your link:

historically there are typically 10-12-thousand rounds fired for each battlefield kill

I've not doubt it's a typo but... can't resist... the inner schoolboy weapon nerd is too strong...

many other weapons have taken design ques from german ww2 designs

the US m60 belt fed machine gun borrowed heavily from the MG42 spandau

, something in the region of 250,000 people are killed every year by AKs. I'm guessing most of those killings are quite deliberate and if AK-47s weren't available something else would presumably be pressed into service.

And in fairness to Kalashnikov, he'd just been in a war where tens of millions of his country folk had been killed by invaders often sporting superior weapons.

Bearing in mind it takes 10,000 rounds for every battlefield kill, that would be 10k x 250k = 250 Million rounds.

Manufacturing bullets is the biz to be in!

edit: Quite, especially now that modern weapons systems and tactics are so, er, surgically accurate...

BT: US forced to import bullets from Israel as troops use 250,000 for every rebel killed

US forces have fired so many bullets in Iraq and Afghanistan - an estimated 250,000 for every insurgent killed - that American ammunition-makers cannot keep up with demand. As a result the US is having to import supplies from Israel.

US forces have fired so many bullets in Iraq and Afghanistan - an estimated 250,000 for every insurgent killed - that American ammunition-makers cannot keep up with demand.

A government report says that US forces are now using 1.8 billion rounds of small-arms ammunition a year. The total has more than doubled in five years, largely as a result of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as changes in military doctrine... (cont)

We don't even produce our own rounds anymore. Not the smartest plan imo.

As for this bloke - i almost think taking someone else's basic idea - and improving it to became so successful - is perhaps even more impressive than having the original idea. Its out there for anyone to copy. You have to be pretty special to get it as right as this guy did.

I read somewhere that both the stg44 & ak47 are difficult to fire from the prone position due to the long curved magazine striking the ground first making firing from the prone position needing an almost 90 deg twist of the weapon compromising accuracy

I read somewhere that both the stg44 & ak47 are difficult to fire from the prone position due to the long curved magazine striking the ground first making firing from the prone position needing an almost 90 deg twist of the weapon compromising accuracy

Good point!

You could have the banana clip on the topside like a brengun.

What do you mean by striking the ground first ?

I read that if you lie on your belly in the prone position and attempt to shoulder the rifle the magazine contacts the ground, also if you dive onto the ground.

is this where i get told that its possible to fire ak's prone with the the upright magazine? Or make use of it as a kind of foregrip stabiliser?

Good point!

You could have the banana clip on the topside like a brengun.

wiki: Owen gun

In late June 1941 Owen was discharged from the AIF and began work at Lysaght who manufactured his gun. In September 1941 his gun was ready for testing against similar weapons; the American Thompson Machine Gun, the Sten and the German Bergmann. The Owen proved superior to the other weapons and having been variously immersed in water, mud and sand, it also proved itself almost impossible to jam while the other weapons faltered and eventually became unworkable. As a result of the success of the trials, the initial order of 100 firearms was increased to 2,000.[5] After further difficulties, the Owen gun entered mass production in Australia.

cf. wiki: F1 submachine gun

I think that there is nothing to be ashamed of in making good weapons, that they are used so much is the problem of politicians as Kalashnikov said. Such an iconic part of the 20th century tho, if he was my dad I could only feel pride. Is he worse than the guy who designedt the first Walkman for instance?

I read that if you lie on your belly in the prone position and attempt to shoulder the rifle the magazine contacts the ground, also if you dive onto the ground.

is this where i get told that its possible to fire ak's prone with the the upright magazine? Or make use of it as a kind of foregrip stabiliser?

Never fired one (well apart from on a holiday but that was standing up). I don't think it would be an issue unless the magazine was much longer than other magazine. Maybe it is.

I read this on http://rt.com/news/kalashnikov-dies-inventor-ak-47-887/

The self-taught peasant turned tank mechanic who never finished high school, but achieved a remarkable and lasting feat of engineering while still in his twenties.

"I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists," he said once.

"I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work – for example a lawnmower."

If he has been born in the 'Land of the Free' he would have made steel geetars & written songs for Tammy Wynette & Dolly Parton.

kalashnikov-4.jpg

If one can make the ultimate weapon that is unusable one stops all wars - discuss

The yanks aredoing some good stuff with non lethal technology i remember seeing something that sent out radiowaves that made people feel hot and uncomfortable so they retreated away from it

The yanks aredoing some good stuff with non lethal technology i remember seeing something that sent out radiowaves that made people feel hot and uncomfortable so they retreated away from it

A massive radiator ?