House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Slower Immigration Could Lop 11 Percent Off Uk Economy - Study

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/12/23/uk-britain-immigration-economy-idUKBRE9BM0AG20131223

A pledge by Britain's government to slow immigration could make the economy 11 percent smaller by 2060 and taxpayers would have to fund higher public spending, a study by a leading research institute showed on Monday.

Immigration has become a hot issue ahead of elections in 2015 and the end of restrictions on workers from Romania and Bulgaria on January 1.

Prime Minister David Cameron promised in the run-up to the last election in 2010 to slash net migration to the "tens of thousands" by 2015, down from the 200,000 a year expected under current trends.

But a halving of net migration over the period to 2060 would have "strong negative effects" on the economy, said the new study, published by the independent National Institute of Economic and Social Research.

"The level of both GDP (gross domestic product) and GDP per person fall during the simulation period by 11.0 percent and 2.7 percent respectively," it said.

The easy way to boost GDP and have a growing economy, simply have more people.

The economy, the all devouring monster, never satisfied, never concerned by quality.

Whenever something is labelled as good for the economy means its terrible for everything else.

Pyramid scam to collapse if new bottom layer not found.

Indeed somebody has got to pay for an ever increasing state pension liability and housing equity protection for the middle aged/ retired. Destruction and reset is not an option as we now realise, canon fodder be it indigenous or imported youth is.

Edited by crashmonitor

I am always suspicious of figures that will make the rich richer at my expense.

The TV yesterday was trumpeting the fact that the tax paid by recent immigrants exceeded the benefits claimed by 35%

Typical mathematically challenged British comment.

35% OF WHAT?

No account taken of the indigenous British displaced by the tax paying immigrants and the benefits claimed by said displaced natives.

Indeed somebody has got to pay for an ever increasing state pension liability and housing equity protection for the middle aged/ retired. Destruction and reset is not an option as we now realise, canon fodder be it indigenous or imported youth is.

Like all pyramid scams....it will eventually collapse.

Anyone under 30 ( 40 or maybe 50 ) is not getting any kind of a livable pension.

More people will make us richer, unless you are competing with the bottom instead of gaining from the bottom their earning and spending potential........the last in will be hit the hardest.

More people will make us richer, unless you are competing with the bottom instead of gaining from the bottom their earning and spending potential........the last in will be hit the hardest.

Means a bigger market for tescos...anyway, isnt population growth supposed to be far in excess of 11% by 2060, isnt this saying we'll be far poorer in real terms?

Means a bigger market for tescos...anyway, isnt population growth supposed to be far in excess of 11% by 2060, isnt this saying we'll be far poorer in real terms?

More of us will end up being poorer in real terms......poorer in certain living needs and assets, ie housing, energy, food and living wage jobs.

The thing that is pi55ing me off is they say.

a study by a leading research institute showed on Monday.

Has this leading research institute got a name?

They haven't got the Balls to stand up and tell us their name. That because it's B*llocks and the don't wan't to put their name to it.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the CBI from other stuff I have read of theirs.

Edited by gf3

The Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, David Cameron and George Osborne economy.

Thanks guys. :( Just keep packing us into smaller and smaller boxes, productivity goes up,..... until total societal breakdown ensues. Nice work politicians!

battery-hens-in-a-chicken-007.jpg

The thing that is pi55ing me off is they say.

Has this leading research institute got a name?

They haven't got the Balls to stand up and tell us their name. That because it's B*llocks and the don't wan't to put their name to it.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the CBI from other stuff I have read of theirs.

Yes, it has a name -- it's called the European Union who paid for the study.

An incease in GDP has never and will never improve my life quality, and it probably won't for 90% of the population. An improvement in GDP might give me a higher wage, but in no time at all it will be taken back in living costs, and more to the point more expensive housing.

It's all relative, when the first mortgaged couples in the UK back in the 1970's thought if we both work and neglect the kids for a few years we can get a bigger and better house, now we all HAVE to do it.

Whatever the average mean does in the UK to get one up on the next man becomes the norm after a few years, working on a sunday, 12 plus working hours a day, interest only mortgages, borrowing more, etc etc the list is endless.

Life gets harder as we fight over the same old crap housing stock, this has to rate as one of the greatest confidence tricks in UK history, I am convinced just as books have been written about the Dutch tulip bibble and the south sea bubble, in decades to come we will read about the crazy UK property bubble.

Absolutely

Indeed somebody has got to pay for an ever increasing state pension liability and housing equity protection for the middle aged/ retired.

I'm sure all those Romanians and Poles will be eager to stay in Britain paying crazy taxes so the British old farts can afford another cruise next year.

I'm sure all those Romanians and Poles will be eager to stay in Britain paying crazy taxes so the British old farts can afford another cruise next year.

.....but it takes crazy people, paying crazy prices to generate crazy taxes...... ;)

On the contrary they want to become the next generation of British based old farts going on cruises, just need another layer to support the ponzi, job done.

Too right, the Poles once worked our fields until they had access to work as they liked. The Romanians will lift the Poles working aspirations and we'll need to find another countries workers to pick our fruit because the Romanians don't need to do it anymore.

We need more sense of creative destruction. My great grandparents were leather workers. No one mourns the passing of those jobs.

If some business, e.g. farming, cannot get the poorly paid pickers it needs it can invest in some clever kit that increases productivity, increase wages or get off the horse and let someone else use the land. Otherwise we're just subsidising the wretched farmer.

Just think of all those lovely congestion charges - yuk to the "independent" National Institute of Economic and Social Research.

From Wikipedia:

National Institute of Economic and Social Research

The National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) is an independent[1] research organisation located in the City of Westminster, London, England. It was established in 1938 with funding from the Rockefeller Foundation, the Pilgrim Trust, the Leverhulme Trust and the Halley Stewart Trust. It is Britain's longest established independent economic research institute. The most important output of NIESR has been a macroeconomic model of the UK economy which is used to produce forecasts of the UK economy, published quarterly in the National Institute Economic Review. Forecasts are also published for various other OECD countries.

Dr. Martin Weale, CBE, was the Institute Director from 1995. The current Director is Jonathan Portes. Lord Burns has been President since 2003.

In January 2012, the NIESR rejected Migration Watch UK's assertion that young Eastern European migrants were responsible for Britain's high unemployment rate, suggesting the real problem was the recession and lack of jobs

It doesn't sound that independent. Calling it independent doesn't make it so.

It can forecast till it's heart's content but it didn't prevent the economic collapse.

Edited by billybong

What rubbish. If all immigration were to stop tomorrow everything would keep going just as before. New immigrants have not started masses of new businesses or created piles of new wealth. They have only displaced British workers, lowering pay and living standards.

Poor people are left wing voters. So the agenda of the left is to make people poor.

More people means more "economy"! :blink:

I couldn't give a monkey's whether the GDP goes up or down. What matters to individuals is the per capita GDP and I fail to see how smuggling in another few 100,000 unskilled immigrants will do anything other than depress that.

The Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, David Cameron and George Osborne economy.

Thanks guys. :( Just keep packing us into smaller and smaller boxes, productivity goes up,..... until total societal breakdown ensues. Nice work politicians!

battery-hens-in-a-chicken-007.jpg

Battery humans, reminds me of Stornoway.