House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
libitina

It's Cold, And It's About To Get Colder!

And fully lined curtains, 15 tog duvets, draught excluders, dried pulses/lentils etc, slowcookers and for the UK pensioners; moon boots.

Seriously though, the central heating in our house is knackered and we're relying on convector heaters at the moment. Last week they all decided to break one by one over a period of 2 days. I endured one bitterly cold night before popping down the Asda at 3am to buy 3 more!

I am seriously thinking about getting some curtains to hang at the windows. We currently have roman blinds and they're not very effective at stopping the draughts.

How come the weather always plays up when the economy is buggered? We never hear of the winter of content do we?

:D

Thermals? Are Damart still going? ;)

Thermals too... and businesses that make nice, thick warming soup. And roast chestnuts and suchlike.

Ah, Christmas

:rolleyes:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13468024,00.html

Met office to meet with NHS, energy and transport companies tomorrow.

:ph34r:

time to put the fire on methinks.

I wonder what Jonathan Swift's parodic proposal would be if he was pretending to be a neo-con.

I imagine he'd say we can take all the dead Iraqis and turn them into logs for the fire.

the central heating in our house is knackered and we're relying on convector heaters at the moment. Last week they all decided to break one by one over a period of 2 days. I endured one bitterly cold night before popping down the Asda at 3am to buy 3 more!

I am seriously thinking about getting some curtains to hang at the windows. We currently have roman blinds and they're not very effective at stopping the draughts.

How come the weather always plays up when the economy is buggered? We never hear of the winter of content do we?

If you own the place, could be worth getting a plumber round.

Alternatively if it's rented, I'd pile up your landlord's furniture in the living room and get a nice warming fire going ;)

Central heating combi-boiler broke terminally the other week - I didn't panic though - just made a call to the agent who called my landlord who had a team of experts fit a nice new one for me the next day! Cost me two cups of tea and 7 sugars. £1800 saved! Kerchinggg!

And fully lined curtains, 15 tog duvets, draught excluders, dried pulses/lentils etc, slowcookers and for the UK pensioners; moon boots.

Seriously though, the central heating in our house is knackered and we're relying on convector heaters at the moment. Last week they all decided to break one by one over a period of 2 days. I endured one bitterly cold night before popping down the Asda at 3am to buy 3 more!

Not joking here. Make sure your electrical system can handle the demands of electric heaters throughout your place.

No more than 2 or 3 heaters per circuit breaker should be safe. More than that and there is a risk of the wiring overheating & faults occuring.

Time to invest in coal, uranium, gas........?

Many might not give a damn about speculators inflating property prices, but how about inflated electricity and gas prices? :lol:

Edited by gruffydd

If you own the place, could be worth getting a plumber round.

Alternatively if it's rented, I'd pile up your landlord's furniture in the living room and get a nice warming fire going ;)

It's neither rented nor owned at the moment! I know, weird!! It's my partners house but he's in a dispute with his sister-in-law over who owns it. He and his brother loaned £100K back in 1989 to buy a mansion and make it into 3 apartments. With the spare cash left over they paid off the entire mortgage on his brothers old semi (bought on an interest only mortgage 5 years previously).

His brother and wife moved out of their house into the mansion and got "used" to living in a mansion so the conversion didn't happen. In 1994 both brothers had shares in both properties. My partner traded his shares in the mansion for the remainder of the shares in his brother's old semi with the intention of selling it. Obviously in 1994 property wasn't exactly flying off the shelf so he moved in instead and has been here ever since. Never did get around to sorting out the paperwork or signing contracts, they just paid off the loan at the bank and carried on with their lives.

Last year his brother got made bankrupt, wife threw him out and wife decides that seeing as her name is still on the deeds of my partner's property that she'll have that thrown into the divorce settlement too! Her argument? Her husband didn't tell her she was giving up the house to live in the mansion! She reckons she will sell the semi and keep the mansion, give the brothers back the £100K they invested ("loaned" in her words) and that will be that.

I've certainly learned a valuable lesson from it which at 28 I'm pleased to have learned...don't trust anybody when it comes to money...not even your family! Get everything written down and signed becuase you never know what could happen in the future!

Want to know the icing on the cake? Partner bought 2 rundown properties (adjoining semis) in 1997 for £29K each. Put one property into the name of his parents and the other into the names of his brothers in-laws. Yep, you guessed it. The in-laws are now claiming that they bought the property in their name with their own money and it doesn't belong to my partner at all! It's all gone a bit Pete Tong as they say!

The central heating problem is more easily fixed. We just need to cap off the open gas pipe from the old gas fire (there is no gas on at the property before you all panic!). It's one of those things you always mean to get around to!

Imagine how frustrated we are sitting on 2 properties, neither of which can be STR!!

Gosh, that was good to get off my chest!

Not joking here. Make sure your electrical system can handle the demands of electric heaters throughout your place.

No more than 2 or 3 heaters per circuit breaker should be safe. More than that and there is a risk of the wiring overheating & faults occuring.

Thanks TTRTR! I just asked my partner (qualified spark) and he says we have one convector per circuit breaker.

You had me worried there.

Lights 'won't go out' this winter

Gas problems also affect electrical supplies

The lights across Britain will not go out this winter "under any scenario whatsoever", Trade and Industry Secretary Alan Johnson has insisted.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4462966.stm

Government thinks everything will be OK.

I'll be able to sleep now, safe in the knowledge the the government is looking after us. :lol:

Surely electirc heaters will be no good in a powercut anyway. Or do you have a generator?

You need a gas bombola (not sure what they're called over here)

http://www.mobilegas.co.uk/mobileheater/ one of these things. Too bad they stink though.....

That's a great idea Libitina! I suppose we should think about getting one of those incase we do have powercuts (it's already getting chilly just sitting here).

I'm sure I have one in the shop somewhere come to think of it. Probably covered in cobwebs but I'll make it a priority to have a look this week!

Thanks again. :)

classixuk, my god, what a bitch!! Can't the brothers get someone to 'sort' her out?

I know, terrible! Problem is her husband still thinks he can win her back. He's of the mind "Let her have the semi to make her feel secure, and you go live in the house that's in our parent's name and she might take me back!"

You can obviously imagine how my partner feels about this, especially as his elderly mother is convinced he should do all he can to help save his brother's marriage (they're a little Italian family and she's worried she won't see the 'bambinis' if her elder son gets divorced)!

In all honesty I believe there is a chance that her husband didn't fully explain that she'd be giving away her half of the equity in the semi in order to gain 100% of the mansion. He liked her to think he was loaded; Jaguars, antiques, foreign holidays, expensive jewellery etc. It's no coincidence that he get's made bankrupt and she throws him out (he's not exactly a looker!). She's probably thinking, "I'm in my late forties. If I divorce him now I am still young enough to find a better model, and it won't matter if they have money as I'll be rich anyway".

She can't go as far as to make out that she reckoned my partner and his brother "loaned" her a total of £100K to purchase the houses though, especially considering they loaned the money from a bank anyway! Surely she's not that dumb!

Hopefully it will all be over soon, but in the meantime I'm just glad to have learned this valuable life lesson so early on. Some people might wait until they're in their 50's to learn this type of lesson and by then it's too late as you have to sit and watch your wealth taken from you as you learn.

At 28 I have a long way to go until I reach my "prime", and when i get there you can be sure as hell I won't be repeating history!

P.S. Fancy coming over and kicking her head in for me? I'll pay you a fiver LOL. :ph34r:

The lights across Britain will not go out this winter "under any scenario whatsoever", Trade and Industry Secretary Alan Johnson has insisted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4462966.stm

Energy Minister Malcolm Wicks later told MPs the National Grid was "awash with gas". He accused the Conservatives of trying to "talk up a crisis".

Talk up a crisis? Along with the met office eh?

I hope Alan Johnson doesn't regret being quotes as such in a few months!

Energy Minister Malcolm Wicks later told MPs the National Grid was "awash with gas". He accused the Conservatives of trying to "talk up a crisis".

Talk up a crisis? Along with the met office eh?

I hope Alan Johnson doesn't regret being quotes as such in a few months!

I'm sure that line will go down well when large manufacturers start laying off thousands of staff.

Claiming that it's all down to the market and nothing to do with the government will not get a good response from the people on a three day week.

There was a chap on the channel 4 news who said that at two very large manufacturers (he wouldn't say who) were likely to shut down next week due to the gas prices. :ph34r:

And fully lined curtains, 15 tog duvets, draught excluders, dried pulses/lentils etc, slowcookers and for the UK pensioners; .moon boots

pensioners

the only person i can remember wearing moon boots was the PE Teacher at school when it had been snowing - he was also driving his gold mg midget at the time.

this isnt cold. my ex wife when she was in a mood. that was cold. she would only serve salads and cold boiled ham if she was that way out.

the cause of her moods was often due to me staying late at work developing important things of science and engineering and so on. her feeble mind didnt understand these things, and so she would inevitably reach for the gordons.

by the time i got home after researching very serious issues she'd be on the rant.

id try to cheer her up with her favourite hot water bottle, or id spray costly aftershave about the bathroom, attempting to woo her into an inviting radox bath.

often she wouldnt see the funny side and would chase me about the multiple revolving scenery with a broom or hit me with a rolling pin, which would sometimes bend into the shape of my head. on occassions she would drop a large grate on me from an electromagnetic crane. which would slice me up. like chips.

i remember one time she was chasing me and i drew a tunnel on the wall and hid. i was hoping running into a flat wall would kknock her out so i could reach that purse, but she ran into it and went into the tunnel. when i went to chase her a large train was coming out. i was run over and ended up like a consetina, but i managed to walk away while playing a tune at the same time.

this isnt cold. my ex wife when she was in a mood. that was cold. she would only serve salads and cold boiled ham if she was that way out.

the cause of her moods was often due to me staying late at work developing important things of science and engineering and so on. her feeble mind didnt understand these things, and so she would inevitably reach for the gordons.

by the time i got home after researching very serious issues she'd be on the rant.

id try to cheer her up with her favourite hot water bottle, or id spray costly aftershave about the bathroom, attempting to woo her into an inviting radox bath.

often she wouldnt see the funny side and would chase me about the multiple revolving scenery with a broom or hit me with a rolling pin, which would sometimes bend into the shape of my head. on occassions she would drop a large grate on me from an electromagnetic crane. which would slice me up. like chips.

i remember one time she was chasing me and i drew a tunnel on the wall and hid. i was hoping running into a flat wall would kknock her out so i could reach that purse, but she ran into it and went into the tunnel. when i went to chase her a large train was coming out. i was run over and ended up like a consetina, but i managed to walk away while playing a tune at the same time.

What a carry-on. No wonder you guys seperated. You just cant make stuff like this up. :lol::lol::lol::P