House Price Crash Forum

Vince Cable: Interest Rates May Have To Rise To Combat Housing Boom

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/dec/22/vince-cable-interest-rates-housing-boom

It's almost as if London needs a separate interest rate to the rest of country....

Which we all know isn't possible, but what is entirely possible is to build a lot more homes in London and the South East. So why doesn't Vince Cable start recommending practical and possible solutions instead of clogging the airways with his rambling and impossible thought experiments?

Yes, the lib-dems should have brought down the government several years ago, but VC on his own?

Stopping the help to buy scheme would not have brought down the government- the Lib Dems support the policy because they think it will get them some votes via the 'feel good' factor of a mini housing boom before the next election.

The shrill music hall like "Old Tart" should have "gone nuclear" ages ago, instead he dines out for years, giving the intangible "holding Tories feet to the fire". Crying wolf again, and doing SFA. Three years ago, everyone thought Tory Boy was the answer, but in reality he was in the same league as that Scottish idiot.

Ive posted the same sort of thing many times.

As much use as a mug of hot piss.

He again called for the government to rethink its Help to Buy scheme,

So one part of the coalition is the government and the other part isn't. The isn't ones are basically just collecting the wages.

If it was a one party government and a Cabinet Minister openly expressed those views contrary to policy then he would be expected to resign his Cabinet position and argue his case outside of the Cabinet. Maybe make a well publicised speech about it in Parliament.

No this dodder of a "government" just shambles along causing ever more destruction to the UK economy but when election time comes along they'll all be pretending about what a great show they all put on.

Edited by billybong

So one part of the coalition is the government and the other part isn't. The isn't ones are basically just collecting the wages.

If it was a one party government and a Cabinet Minister openly expressed those views contrary to policy then he would be expected to resign his Cabinet position and argue his case outside of the Cabinet. Maybe make a well publicised speech about it in Parliament.

No this dodder of a "government" just shambles along causing ever more destruction to the UK economy but when election time comes along they'll all be pretending about what a great show they all put on.

I guess we have to have a rethink of cabinet government. It's secretive and therefore unrepresentative of parliament. Even the BoE publishes minutes. Toss in lobbying and the whip system and it gets ugly.

Heaping blame on one contrarian member of the cabinet is daft.

I guess we have to have a rethink of cabinet government. It's secretive and therefore unrepresentative of parliament. Even the BoE publishes minutes. Toss in lobbying and the whip system and it gets ugly.

Heaping blame on one contrarian member of the cabinet is daft.

Blame?

It's a matter of responsibility and effective government. The responsibility of each individual Cabinet Minister.

Ignoring the issue of Cabinet responsibility certainly is daft.

He says the right things (sometimes), but appears unable to make good on it. Maybe he's a good man in the wrong place/time or perhaps another parasite allowed out occasionally to keep the peace - but words are nothing without action and he's in a better position to influence things that we are and apparently has had zero impact. Hence, the frustration.

Oh no they didn't.

Stopping the help to buy scheme would not have brought down the government- the Lib Dems support the policy because they think it will get them some votes via the 'feel good' factor of a mini housing boom before the next election.

Was there even a vote? I can't remember.

Anyway, the lib-dems should have resigned over the student loan issue, then over the various help-tories-benefit (HTB) schemes. Might not have brought down thee government, but would have created a minority government, which may not have lasted very long.

However, VC cannot do this alone. Who else is doing anything - even just talking - about these issues?

From memory, theres a junior (Tory) housing minister who talks sense on planning, but doesn't get anything done either, and that's about it. 600+ others apparently living in a fantasy world.

What exactly should he do?

I would have a lot more respect for him if he didn't so carefully first craft his 'pronouncements' so that they mean everything to everyone (but nothing to anyone), in order to first and foremost protect his own neck and salary. Personally, I suspect he is a complete waste of space in cabinet - a wind bag.

Edited by LiveinHope

I would have a lot more respect for him if he didn't so carefully first craft his 'pronouncements' so that they mean everything to everyone (but nothing to anyone), in order to first and foremost protect his own neck and salary.

So he hedges his bets a bit? Who else in parliament is even talking about these things?

Really, there are at least 649 other MPs I'd want to criticise before I got around to Vince.

Edited by (Blizzard)

So he hedges his bets a bit? Who else in parliament is even talking about these things?

Really, there are at least 649 other MPs I'd want to criticise before I got around to Vince.

No conviction. Worse than someone who says nothing. Ask yourself - would you want him as your platoon sergeant ?

Personally, I suspect he is a complete waste of space in cabinet - a wind bag.

Edited by LiveinHope

Campaign to move the Capitol to Birmingham, that sure take the wind out of the housing boom. They have all got to anyway as westminster needs rebuilding and if the government says it is one nation why not. Other nations have it that way Germany and the Netherlands being two.

He should go all Hezza on Dave's a55.

Swing the mace around a bit, storm out of the bullingdon club cabinet, and force an election. He needs to oust Clegg whilst he's at it too.

It's currently a struggle to attract people to London at current salaries - if prices/rents rise further then London growth is going to be stunted the same as if you raise interest rates.

+1

I could earn 20% more in London, I have no ties, live 70 miles away and won't touch it with a bargepole as it means living in a shoebox, or wiping out both financial gain and quality of life with a shifty commute.

Plenty of fools still will though.

No conviction. Worse than someone who says nothing. Ask yourself - would you want him as your platoon sergeant ?

Personally, I suspect he is a complete waste of space in cabinet - a wind bag.

No I'd rather have George Osbrown or Ed Balls or Iain duncan smith.

Hopefully he'll have the courage to resign, which would immediately bring down the government.

Or it would have no effect, and we'd lose the only halfway sane man in government.

Edited by (Blizzard)

No I'd rather have George Osbrown or Ed Balls or Iain duncan smith.

Hopefully he'll have the courage to resign, which would immediately bring down the government.

Or it would have no effect, and we'd lose the only halfway sane man in government.

I doubt he'd resign. The position he holds suits the inflated opinion of he has of his own abilities and importance