House Price Crash Forum

Britain Isn't Eating: Duncan Smith's Fury As Church's Advert Campaign Says That Benefit Cuts Are Forcing Poor To Use Food Banks

There is no such thing as poor in this country, thats why we're flipping broke. People are provided with free housing, education, health care, money for being out of work etc. I'd like to see these starving skin and bone people that have to resort to foodbanks because at the moment all I can see is people living beyond their means.

A few observations I've seen since working with the homeless and food banks.

Single people don't get housing. I met a guy who'd been made redundant, his wife left him and he had a mental breakdown. He received no support from the state. He ended up living in a one man tent under a flyover in the winter. Within a couple of months his health deteriorated and he had pneumonia. The Salvation Army feeding program kept him alive. Eventually they managed to find him a place to live. He was not provided for by the state at all. There are plenty of ex servicemen living on the streets. One minute heroes, the next homeless. I don't know where you get the idea that the state keeps everyone away from poverty but you are wrong. If you are single good luck, you'll need it.

I have had reports of people not eating for weeks on end. I suppose this doesn't happen either does it ? How about those driven into debt by low wages who are trying to keep up the rent ? I guess its all their fault that the cost of living is rising, but not their benefits. Now how does this happen, because they are all spending too much, or because we have as a nation perused a policy of making saving less attractive, causing massive rises in the cost of housing and renting, and forcing down wages. Who's fault is that ? Not I would suggest the people turning up at food banks...

It would be nice to believe that they're all feckless morons, and granted a few are, but it simply isn't what is happening out there. I know, I've seen it.

BTW food banks don't feed people on crap food to make them fat. Although it can't be fresh food, because its not possible to store it, what the public are asked to donate is a range of goods selected by a nutritionist (true of the largest group of food banks). This is regularly reviewed to ensure it gives a good nutritional range. It contains many items that people are expected to cook with.

Lastly there are plenty of people volunteering from middle class backgrounds. Banks are sending people off on volunteer days. Local businesses are getting involved. If Iain Duncan Smith thinks he can keep the truth away from the public for long he is very much mistaken. When people volunteer they can see the poverty, its real.

Are you not mixing up mental health issues, homelessness, and working poor food banks? The last one is the new development surely, and what we should be discussing? In all my years of working with learning disabilities, mental health, addiction, and (briefly) young homeless, pretty comfy digs were readily available to those who accepted help from the system. This was Scotland of course, lower population to help maybe.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish he could be one!

That will never happen as long as his wife can continue to keep a roof over his head- with a little help from taxpayers

The minister responsible for cutting income support for the poor, Iain Duncan Smith, lives on an estate owned by his wife's family. During the last 10 years it has received €1.5m in income support from taxpayers. How much more obvious do these double standards have to be before we begin to notice?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/01/farm-subsidies-blatant-transfer-of-cash-to-rich

How can we take this man seriously when he talks about the 'dependency culture' when his own lifestyle has been subsidised to the tune of over a million quid?

:lol:

That will never happen as long as his wife can continue to keep a roof over his head- with a little help from taxpayers

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/01/farm-subsidies-blatant-transfer-of-cash-to-rich

How can we take this man seriously when he talks about the 'dependency culture' when his own lifestyle has been subsidised to the tune of over a million quid?

Stinking hypocrisy, but it doesn't seem ever be covered so much in most of the UK's newspapers- whether this is deliberate or not, i don't know...

Britain's national midriff says otherwise.

So do all the Chinese/Indians/Fish&Chippers and purveyors of sugar/caffeine in the nations council estates.

No skinny starving kids in Britain that I've seen.

Quite sad, high fructose corn syrup, corn starch and cheap trans-fat cooking oils make up a great part of the cheapest foods. Foods that cause obesity, heart disease, diabetes, tooth decay and poor immune systems. Empty calories.

What is sad is we had 13 years of a so called left wing party and they did nothing. What chance do ordinary people have?