House Price Crash Forum
corevalue

Britains Youth Unemployment Crisis

UK youth unemployment in the UK now stands at 21 percent, or nearly 1 million people.

More than 650,000 young people are classified as NEETs (not in education, employment, or training), or 9 percent of the total. The number of under-25s in work has fallen rapidly since 2008, reaching 49.9 percent in recent months, the lowest figure since records began in 1992.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/britains-youth-unemployment-crisis/5362442

I'm not in favour of anarchy, but there must be a tipping point where a minor incident will quickly escalate into major riots, if something is not done about this. Of course, our overlords have known full well what the possibilities are, and have installed CCTV everywhere, and militarised the police, selling it to us as protection from external agents, rather than their own protection when TSHTF.

http://www.globalres...-crisis/5362442

I'm not in favour of anarchy, but there must be a tipping point where a minor incident will quickly escalate into major riots, if something is not done about this. Of course, our overlords have known full well what the possibilities are, and have installed CCTV everywhere, and militarised the police, selling it to us as protection from external agents, rather than their own protection when TSHTF.

Although I was surprised at how quickly the London riots escalated, one million is not enough for an uprising, many of them will be too comfortable and subsidised at home to want to risk jail IMO. The one silver lining is that a lot of homeowners will most definitely NOT be getting their asking price in the future :lol:

It would be wrong to advise a bright and enthusiastic 18 year old to stay in the UK imo

I might be able to recommend to them to keep an eye on what happens here, as there might be a moment in the future when the time is right to come back but, for education or employment and to build the foundations for a brighter future, I think there are better options

For the less bright and less enthusiastic, the same applies really doesn't it? The detail of the recommendation may vary, but it would be hard to say stay here and get a £50k debt for a mediocre degree from a crap institute, or take a Work Experience placement / apprenticeship here.

It would be wrong to advise a bright and enthusiastic 18 year old to stay in the UK imo

I might be able to recommend to them to keep an eye on what happens here, as there might be a moment in the future when the time is right to come back but, for education or employment and to build the foundations for a brighter future, I think there are better options

For the less bright and less enthusiastic, the same applies really doesn't it? The detail of the recommendation may vary, but it would be hard to say stay here and get a £50k debt for a mediocre degree from a crap institute, or take a Work Experience placement / apprenticeship here.

NEETs also hide a load is sins. Of the dozen or so 18-21 year olds I know at Uni/college, I would say half are just doing it for something so to - and no skill being gained to get a job either

NEETs also hide a load is sins. Of the dozen or so 18-21 year olds I know at Uni/college, I would say half are just doing it for something so to - and no skill being gained to get a job either

But they aren't on the unemployment stats and they are taking on debt rather than claiming unemployment benefit. Jobs a good'un for the short term.

I chatted to a young NEET yesterday. My young relative has been on those statistics since he graduated in the summer, and will remain there 'til he starts his new job on Jan 2nd.

I expect he's typical of those NEETs who choose to get on with life rather than whinge about it.

There is also this odd thing where they pay an extra £10/week but you are classed as self employed, and presumably drop off the stats. Works for the creative types who earn something once in a blue moon l gather.

I would theorise that after a few years of unemployment, many youths would become unemployable.

When a critical mass of them realise they truly have nothing to lose except a future on decreasing benefits or enforced labour schemes vs prison / community hours (if caught), perhaps the riots will really start.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Although I was surprised at how quickly the London riots escalated, one million is not enough for an uprising, many of them will be too comfortable and subsidised at home to want to risk jail IMO. The one silver lining is that a lot of homeowners will most definitely NOT be getting their asking price in the future :lol:

The 20% youth unemployment stat is of course an average.

Amongst young black men in London the unemployment rate is over 50% - despite many of them living within 15-20 minutes commute of the wealth of the City and West End.

Tens if not hundreds of thousands of young men in our capital city surrounded by untold wealth but not benefitting in any sense from it and with little hope or stake in society.

As you say - it could blow again!

I would theorise that after a few years of unemployment, many youths would become unemployable.

When a critical mass of them realise they truly have nothing to lose except a future on decreasing benefits or enforced labour schemes vs prison / community hours (if caught), perhaps the riots will really start.

....so high house prices along with the banks of mums and dads helping support Britain's youth unemployment... ;)

....so high house prices along with the banks of mums and dads helping support Britain's youth unemployment... ;)

:)

Sorry, I forgot that by remaining infantilised & staying home with mum & dad until 45, many are already in a prison made of Daily Mail reading parents

The harsh reality is theres too many people in the country, there cant be jobs and a bright future for all of them. Add immigration by workers from other eu states to that and employment prospects are bleak for the untrained or unskilled poorly educated.

Even if they found employment its likely to be low wage & temporary so no chance of meeting lending criteria for a loan let alone a mortgage.

It's devastating - we'll regret not doing more now in a couple of decades.

The income these kids should later generate is needed for pensions, NHS etc., for buying houses when older people want to downsize and to demonstrate to their kids the basics of work and reward.

We have created a generation or two of skill-less dependants.

It used to be a no-brainer to keep temps and office clerks washing through the business. Photocopying, brewing up, entering data and helping here or there (I started like that).

Now hiring a new head is a major decision. Headcount is a key statistic at exec meetings. The HR overhead alone is massive, then there is insurance, dismissal risks etc. and it's not longer socially acceptable (outside of fashion and media) to ask someone to make a coffee when you're busy.

It's devastating - we'll regret not doing more now in a couple of decades.

The income these kids should later generate is needed for pensions, NHS etc., for buying houses when older people want to downsize and to demonstrate to their kids the basics of work and reward.

We have created a generation or two of skill-less dependants.

It used to be a no-brainer to keep temps and office clerks washing through the business. Photocopying, brewing up, entering data and helping here or there (I started like that).

Now hiring a new head is a major decision. Headcount is a key statistic at exec meetings. The HR overhead alone is massive, then there is insurance, dismissal risks etc. and it's not longer socially acceptable (outside of fashion and media) to ask someone to make a coffee when you're busy.

Perhaps the greed, self interest and short termism of the corporations, gov & media, along with the apathy of the populace, have combined to form an Auto-toxic Meme.

Blind faith in financial fraud systems, distractive media / technology & slave labour have prevailed.

One which has assured the destruction of the youths future economic & mental health ?

Auto-toxic Meme

Dangerous to itself. Highly auto-toxic memes are usually self-limiting because they promote the destruction of their hosts (such as the Jim Jones meme; any military indoctrination meme-complex; any "martyrdom" meme). (GMG) (See exo-toxic.)

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/MEMLEX.html

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

So are the jobs many immigrants doing those that our young people could be doing instead?

Without a doubt. Working class wages for the youth have also been depressed by the reserve army of European labour imported by business interests and corrupt politicians.

It was only a few years ago that British companies offered a small cash bonus to employees if they could recruit an acquaintance taken on trained and passing the probationary period.

That stopped in 2005 onwards when coincidentally the mass migration from Eastern Europe arrived.

Ever since then it has been a story of employment agencies sending poles to work in the factories and farms at depressed temp rates and now 0 hour contracts replacing the temp contracts.

There is no doubt that they have displaced young Brits, they have the advantage of having allegedly the experience younger Brits lack, so cost effectiveness is higher than a native and thats without factoring in the savings to shareholders that working at a cheaper rate and depressing the expectations of wage inflation in the future brings.

Those closest to the ground, those in direct competition to new migrants will be the ones ultimately to be affected adversely..... The winners will be big business, corporates, landlords etc.......bigger profits for them, greater demand for housing, schooling and health services for everyone else......if we incourage it thus keeping wages depressed, we have to cater for it, surely we already have a mini baby boom going on at the moment, how many extra bodies with needs do we need at this precise moment in time......this will not bode well in the forthcoming election......responsibility means taking care of what you already have before taking on more people with living needs that require looking after. ;)