House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Why Do People Search For 'spooning'?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-25447320

Google's annual list of the most popular search words and terms in the UK usually holds few surprises but this year a rather old-fashioned term made an unexpected appearance - spooning.

Twerking made it, so did YOLO, the Harlem Shake, Cheryl Cole's tattoo and dip-dye hair. It's all a bit predictable, but Google's annual list of the most popular search words and terms usually is.

But one search did stand out - "what is spooning?" It traditionally means a cuddle where you lie on your side and one party snuggles up against the others back, fitting together like spoons. Relationship experts say it's about closeness and intimacy, not sex. A rather sweet addition to Google's list, there's always a chance it could have been hijacked to mean something else in 2013, something possible less innocent. But a quick online search suggests cuddling is still the most popular meaning.

What is spooning....

What they said. It's so nice to fall asleep and wake up like that, it's not sex AFAIK unless it means something else as well.

Find it impossible to fall asleep with a dead arm..

Find it impossible to fall asleep with a dead arm..

My wife used to insist we fall asleep like this until I complained of the dead arm. Even got me thinking of patenting a pillow with a tunnel underneath for my arm! Maybe there's a market for it after all.

What they said. It's so nice to fall asleep and wake up like that, it's not sex AFAIK unless it means something else as well.

Actually, I assumed could be used in either context. My guess is that reason for the searches is either a celeb mention or the word has jumped the language barrier eg suddenly become popular in Chingrish.

As for sleeping that way. Nice in theory, but yes, one of the spooners needs to lose an arm or be happy with it stretching awkwardly above their head or going dead to make it viable. Another nice in pictures and movies meets reality disconnect.

My wife used to insist we fall asleep like this until I complained of the dead arm. Even got me thinking of patenting a pillow with a tunnel underneath for my arm! Maybe there's a market for it after all.

Have you not seen the friends episode?

Actually, I assumed could be used in either context. My guess is that reason for the searches is either a celeb mention or the word has jumped the language barrier eg suddenly become popular in Chingrish.

As for sleeping that way. Nice in theory, but yes, one of the spooners needs to lose an arm or be happy with it stretching awkwardly above their head or going dead to make it viable. Another nice in pictures and movies meets reality disconnect.

The lower arm stays between you.

You see 'spooning' and 'spoony' in novels of a certain era, meaning kissing and cuddling or being very keen on someone. Bertie Wooster and the William books come to mind. There was always someone 'spoony' on William's sister Ethel and Wiiliam would gleefully extort bribes of half a crown for a water pistol or whatever, in return for some service that invariably ended with the poor sap in the duck pond.

Well round these parts, spooning is something old men do in workingmen's clubs when they aren't playing bingo or celebrating Thatcher's death...

XYY

Well round these parts, spooning is something old men do in workingmen's clubs when they aren't playing bingo or celebrating Thatcher's death...

XYY

Some nice stagecraft and 'working the room' there. Reminded me a bit of Springsteen...

http://dornob.com/modular-love-mattress-made-flexible-for-cuddly-couples/#axzz2o8a2SS3i