House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R K

Google Bigdog Robot

You'd definitely hear it coming though ;)

You could hear V rockets too - but that wasn't much help in avoiding them.

Thanks for the link, OP - I was trying to find the Wildcat video (without knowing what it was called) the other weekend to show the missus.

It does seem like we're on the point of making some massive leaps in robotics over the next ten to twenty years.

One of Boston Dynamics' latest robots funded by Darpa, Atlas is a humanoid robot designed to negotiate outdoor, rough terrain in a bipedal manner, while being able to climb using hands and feet as a human would.

Atlas is will be equipped with articulated hands with sensors enabling the robot to use tools designed for humans, as well as an articulated sensor head including stereo cameras and a laser range finder. The robot currently is powered by a tethered electric power supply, and controlled remotely.

Other robots in the Boston Dynamics stable include Petman, a robot that tests humanoid chemical protective clothing; the wheeled SandFlea robot that can leap small buildings; a small six-legged robot capable of traversing rough terrain called RHex; and the RiSE robot capable of climbing vertical walls, trees and fences using feet with micro-claws.

Astonishing how quickly these are developing and the capabilities they already have.

I guess an average wage human costs around £30-40k p.a. with add-on costs. So once these robots can be depreciated over their lifetime to around that figure they can replace humans or at least out-compete them for labour. Obviously they don't require food, but do require energy and some maintenance, but don't require housing. You could cram thousands of them into a small warehouse when not in use.

* With humans you'd need to add on the development and education costs to adulthood, plus the 'decommissioning' costs during retirement. All in all it's probably in the region of £1m per human. So once these can be manufactured for less than £1m each they're viable in our current economy (very back of envelope). When you consider quite sophisticated cars are knocked out for £20-£30k and have a 10-20yr lifespan.....................

I want Amazon to deliver my orders using Bigdog.

If eBay and Amazon both start using drones, we might even see the first syber war being fought in the skies over delivering cookery books.

Or it could do pizza deliveries. How many pizzas could the big dog carry ?

You could hear V rockets too - but that wasn't much help in avoiding them.

Thanks for the link, OP - I was trying to find the Wildcat video (without knowing what it was called) the other weekend to show the missus.

It does seem like we're on the point of making some massive leaps in robotics over the next ten to twenty years.

I'm just imagining The Terminator running on a diesel engine.

I'm just imagining The Terminator running on a diesel engine.

You'd hear Wildcat coming, but it'll still outrun you.

Genuine? Seems to be recoil. Not sure what happened at the end - I think it blew itself up.

"I've seen some crazy sheet"

Combine facial recognition targetting etc and drone wars will be pretty scary.