House Price Crash Forum

It is a private rental, why would you pay good money for such bad services. If it is as bad a indicated, I wouldn't have rented it in the first place or would be looking to move else where sharp-ish.

If it is as bad a indicated, I wouldn't have rented it in the first place

She's 19 years old. How much experience with inspecting property for possible defects did you have at that age?

She's 19 years old. How much experience with inspecting property for possible defects did you have at that age?

As with most things, if you don't know what you are getting yourself in to, you ask someone who does!

She seems to be pretty much aware now, but still hasn't moved.

Pregnant at 19 and bipolar - prime candidate for local authority emergency housing. Putting it in the local rag should help.

to be fair she posted at the bottom of the article and both her and her partner work, its not their fault they at the mercy of the private rental sector. I have rented for 10 years now and never came across a landlord that wanted to spend any money on a place, and its all well complaining but they can just kick u out when agreement is up, most of the power thanks to our politicians lies with the landlord!

in my area been looking at other rentals and most are crappy below the executive worker price range and in recent years there are loads of the inheritance properties which need loads of work doing coming straight onto rental because nobody wants to buy them

To rent a house it should meet a minimum standard and reasonable complaints should be enforceable by the LA. On top of that proper long term tenancies should be the rule like they are on the continent, read somewhere here think it was in Andorra tenancies are 5 years but the tenant can serve one months notice at anytime. I also think there should be rent controls call me a commie but the housing market in the UK is hardly a free market and why should all the help be given to home owners!

If people are savvy enough not to buy a property because it isn't up to scratch, why aren't people savvy enough to not to rent them. I agree there should be minimal standards but If no one was prepared to rent these places they would either be improved, be cheaper or they would be sold.

If people are savvy enough not to buy a property because it isn't up to scratch, why aren't people savvy enough to not to rent them. I agree there should be minimal standards but If no one was prepared to rent these places they would either be improved, be cheaper or they would be sold.

i dont disagree but unfortunatly you have to live somewhere, and in my experience there isnt a lot of good rental properties out there especially in these days of accidental landlords. I live in the midlands hardly the most expensive part of the country but to find a decent quality rental you need to pay around 600pcm which i dont think is cheap, I imagine its more in the south east and other sought after places.

But what we really need is a government with the balls to remove all the props and let property crash, then put controls/ or punitive taxes in place to stop housing being used as an investment in the future, build shit loads more new housing on the nimby greenbelt and control future house price growth in line with CPI going forward. I dont ever want to buy a house and see it double in price in 5 years its not good for the economy if you want to invest there are plenty of other options that on the whole are far more economically productive.

Thanks. I ASSuMEd.

lol its easy to jump to those conclusions:-)

But fair play to the girl, shame people who work have to put up with such shit in this day and age, so much for making work pay. Most people on low incomes would be better off in a nice housing association pad paid for by HB and Osborne has done F**k all to change that

Back in the late 1940s we had a "Minister for Health and Housing", after the war there was a severe lack of housing, and serious health problems due to the lack of, and poor quality of housing. There were active squatting campaigns, and the landless were prepared to break the law and build their own houses without permission from the state, something had to be done, to maintain control over the people. Fortunately it involved improving the housing conditions of the people by building them housing, UK citizens lost their right to house themselves some 525 years ago. Without a right to house ourselves, we the British people are at the mercy of the established order and the state that protects it.

We haven't fought a war, and we haven't had an enemy state bomb us and destroy our housing, however, the British have suffered from their own state, it stopped building houses for the people, and maintained the ban on building, it did this under both Conservative and Labour governments, housing now is becoming just as much as a health problem as it was in the 1940s.

It is a health problem for all, for the poor quality of housing is leading to a resurgence of contagious diseases, diseases that can be deadly. Diseases which know not of class boundaries. The rich might eat well, and the poor might go hungry, even starve, but when the poor start coughing, the poor and the rich both start to drop dead.

Whilst I would personally prefer living in a UK, where UK citizens, and other human beings were housed adequately in housing of good standard, that did not pose a risk to health because we had a right enshrined in law to decent housing purely on the basis of common human decency, I'd be more than happy if people had a right to decent housing in order to prevent the outbreak of disease.

We need a Minister for Health and Housing, and we need better housing and we need it now.

We have half a million construction workers out of work, they want to work. We need not have a lack of housing, and housing need not be expensive.

Charlotte, I hope you can secure better housing in the near future, or that your current housing is repaired to an adequate standard, but I also hope we can have a UK where we all have decent housing, and that it is 'affordable'.

I'd advise against withholding rent on a voluntary basis as your council could consider you 'intentionally homeless' if you became homeless and would not have a legal duty to house you.

However, I would recommend getting in touch with the CAB and your doctor, mould can cause health problems. If your house is not a safe place to live, you need to start building the case, to put to your council. I don't see how a council can risk the health of it's residents, particularly a family that will soon have a new born child among it, when it has the power to grant planning permission for decent housing, and even build decent housing itself.

All the best, fellow Youth.

(Can somebody post this on my behalf, please, I can't seem to register for the damn site)

We haven't fought a war, and we haven't had an enemy state bomb us and destroy our housing, however, the British have suffered from their own state

+1

We haven't fought a war, and we haven't had an enemy state bomb us and destroy our housing, however, the British have suffered from their own state, it stopped building houses for the people, and maintained the ban on building, it did this under both Conservative and Labour governments, housing now is becoming just as much as a health problem as it was in the 1940s.

No. We had Gordon Brown.

And I say that as a serious comment.

There are stories on MSE all the time of tenants who put up with the most appalling properties and are really reluctant to complain because they want to stay in the property because it's convenient for some reason.

These need a kick in the pants almost as much as the bad landlords do.

Youth has it in a nutshell, as always. Hopefully Ms King has read your post.

When I was looking for a new gaffe just over a year ago, much of what was offered was of a standard which was simply not good enough. It was the probate/amateur stuff which was the worst, obvious maintenance problems, let alone any improvements. The proposition was to rent a poorly maintained place which, if in good order, would only be up to the standards of several decades ago.

Ms King, if you're reading, best of luck with your current situation and you might like to read the section of the forum dedicated to renting.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showforum=36

I'd advise against withholding rent on a voluntary basis as your council could consider you 'intentionally homeless' if you became homeless and would not have a legal duty to house you.

However, I would recommend getting in touch with the CAB

There is a way of getting repairs done and it involves telling the landlord about the repair, giving them notice and then doing the repair and paying for it out of rent.

The CAB can probably give more help though. But that's basically it. I used the process many years ago with a crappy landlord.

There are stories on MSE all the time of tenants who put up with the most appalling properties and are really reluctant to complain because they want to stay in the property because it's convenient for some reason.

These need a kick in the pants almost as much as the bad landlords do.

If you are renting cheaply and/or can't afford to move, then you'll put up with a hell of a lot rather than risk getting turfed out. Ditto if kids at local school, close to friends/facilities you need. Using the rent to get repairs done is also likely to result in the boot too. Complaining to the council/papers is hardly likely to result in an extended stay either. In short, why complain and risk losing your home - if you can somehow put up with it all.

There is no comeback for unfair booting out. If you're on a rolling contract, 2 months notice is your lot. I had one landlord try and kick us out in under a month once ie leave at the end of the month (<3 weeks away) - until I pointed out the requirement for 2 months notice. I suspect a lot of tenants don't know even their basic rights.

The game is loaded in favour of scumlords and also "professional" tenants at the moment. Hard to see that changing in a meaningful way either.

If you are renting cheaply and/or can't afford to move, then you'll put up with a hell of a lot rather than risk getting turfed out. Ditto if kids at local school, close to friends/facilities you need. Using the rent to get repairs done is also likely to result in the boot too. Complaining to the council/papers is hardly likely to result in an extended stay either. In short, why complain and risk losing your home - if you can somehow put up with it all.

There is no comeback for unfair booting out. If you're on a rolling contract, 2 months notice is your lot. I had one landlord try and kick us out in under a month once ie leave at the end of the month (<3 weeks away) - until I pointed out the requirement for 2 months notice. I suspect a lot of tenants don't know even their basic rights.

The game is loaded in favour of scumlords and also "professional" tenants at the moment. Hard to see that changing in a meaningful way either.

Environmental health can be really effective too - even if you get the boot they have (and do use) the power to enforce work on properties.

And your point about being kicked out - if you've been there for 6,12 months and have been putting up with poor landlording from day 1 then that's surely another issue.

Complain, in writing and persue.

Plenty of slums around London, often crammed with multiple families. Saying that, there are plenty of HA properties that look nice on the outside but inside the tenants have treated them like slums.

Just the mere hint of an Environmental official inspection can work wonders.

It will also work wonders at getting you booted at the next tenancy renewal - usually 6 months away on cheaper rentals, and with no legal comeback whatsoever.

The first time I rented an office for my company I was absolutely astonished by how much more legal protection my company had on a commercial tenancy compared to my family on an assured shorthold tenancy, where we could basically be turfed out with 2 months notice and have absolutely no legal rights.

This country is a bloody disgrace when it comes to housing.

It will also work wonders at getting you booted at the next tenancy renewal - usually 6 months away on cheaper rentals, and with no legal comeback whatsoever.

But a good env. officer will actually enforce the work whether the tenant stays.

Isn't it better the work is done?

Landlords can be fined too.

But a good env. officer will actually enforce the work whether the tenant stays.

Isn't it better the work is done?

Landlords can be fined too.

Better for the greater good, you mean?

Well, it's better for the greater good that we have a rental market that functions in a fair and just manner, which means reforming tenancy law.

On an individual basis, it is better that you have a home which you are not evicted from, so no, as things stand it's irrelevant whether the work gets done and the landlord gets fined if you end up homeless as a result.

Well, it's better for the greater good that we have a rental market that functions in a fair and just manner, which means reforming tenancy law.

On an individual basis, it is better that you have a home which you are not evicted from, so no, as things stand it's irrelevant whether the work gets done and the landlord gets fined if you end up homeless as a result.

if i got booted for raising an issue with the standard of the property i would follow it up at my own time & expense for as long as i felt nessacary to obtain justice, leaving no stone unturned including checking all the licencing / saftey certs etc were up to date even contact hmrc if id been paying cash or if i suspected anything relating to fraud.

Even if it makes you sick living in a cold damp house?

Or makes your family sick and stressed?