House Price Crash Forum
richc

Please Lodge A Complaint

Around 8:35 this morning, BBC Radio 4 gave Simon Jenkins of the National Trust an unchallenged platform this morning to argue that all non-urban development in the UK should be banned. WTF???

For what it's worth, I lodged a complaint, that the BBC should not have a spokesperson for a political advocacy group (who also happens to have a long standing commercial relationship with the BBC) come onto the Today programme and discussed a controversial issue without an opportunity for the opposing view to be aired, either at the same time or in a similar, unchallenged manner at another time.

Edited by richc

Thing is, most of the stupid public think that the National Trust are some sort of cuddly charity that only has good intentions for the entire population- not a politically motivated VI organization that it really is.

Edited by btl_hater

Did Jenkins mention how many houses he has?

Of course not.

Because, the state-funded celebrity conducting the interview would then have to say how many millions of pounds they have in property.

Simon Jenkins is a hypocrite with two homes (one in central London, one inside Snowdonia National Park FFS) who wants to stop the construction of housing for other people.

We'd have to pour an awful lot of concrete for everybody to live like Simon Jenkins.

Edited by Dorkins

I guess this is the relevant piece on the NT website:

National Trust ‏@nationaltrust 1h :

Brownfield sites overlooked as government planning policy puts green belt land at risk of development >

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/article-1355816496611

@cheeznbreed 9m :

@nationaltrust Brownfield costs more to develop, and may not be in the best location. Who should pay the extra costs to develop brownfield?

edit broken link, apologies.

Edited by The B.L.T.

I guess this is the relevant piece on the NT website:

Brownfield is also many times smaller than otherwise hyped, I recall reading 400,000 homes could be built using all our brown field.

In the town I live in a sizeable nimby protest group tried to block development of a brownfield. I am convinced this attitude towards brownfield would be held all over the uk.

There is a sizeable portion of a certain generation that absolutely do not want anything built anywhere. And Simon Jenkins is in the vanguard if this movement.

I'd like to know what Simon Jenkins thinks about the depressed levels of house builds we've had for 20 years too. how he can possibly justify not just making up the deficit in homes but worsening the crisis for future generations and as a 2nd home owner how he has the brass neck to get up and spout this sheeite on radio.

edit broken link, apologies.

Jenkins is right though. We should not build in the countryside. Furthermore, any existing houses in the countryside, and in particular any National Park, should immediately be demolished without compensation as they are "eyesores".

A simply shocking eyesore, we could never allow development like this:

119y0s0.png

We must have more developments like this:

2zdr49k.png

It's a sick deluded joke! perpetuated by boomers who are jealous of what the youth could have.

Can someone remind me what the problem with building in the countryside is?

The people who already own buildings in the countryside don't like it.

There is also the whole 'green and pleasant land' mythology that likes to pretend that we have some natural wilderness south of the Cairngorms.

Dog walking.

A simply shocking eyesore, we could never allow development like this:

119y0s0.png

We must have more developments like this:

2zdr49k.png

It's a sick deluded joke! perpetuated by boomers who are jealous of what the youth could have.

I've often wondered if they are suffering from a sort of collective mid life crisis,(50 is the new 40) the closer to death they get the more savage the pillaging of prospects for the younger generations becomes. Average age of ftb so high now you could say 30 is the new 40 :).

They will probably all agitate for the destruction of the NHS and welfare state out of spite if they are forced to sell their homes for care.