House Price Crash Forum
SleepyHead

London Showing Extreme Cantillon Effect

Richard Cantillon

"Cantillon suggested that inflation occurs gradually and that the new supply of money has a localised effect on inflation, effectively originating the concept of non-neutral money.[65] Furthermore, he posited that the original recipients of new money enjoy higher standards of living at the expense of later recipients."

Edited by SleepyHead

Cant argue with much of that. However as Business Secretary he should really have the wherewithal to do something about it.

He certainly makes a valid point about the airports. If we didn't all have to fly via Heathrow to get anywhere, then they probably wouldn't need another runway!

Cant argue with much of that. However as Business Secretary he should really have the wherewithal to do something about it.

He certainly makes a valid point about the airports. If we didn't all have to fly via Heathrow to get anywhere, then they probably wouldn't need another runway!

If you didn't have Heathrow you'd have to fly via Schiphol or CdG or Frankfurt to get anywhere.

If you didn't have Heathrow you'd have to fly via Schiphol or CdG or Frankfurt to get anywhere.

I read somewhere that most people who flew via Heathrow never get off the plane or leave the airport.......therefore for transfers another airport could be extended to help other areas of the country say in the Midlands, Bristol or even extend Gatwick......London is far too gross, high density and over crowded IMO. ;)

I think the problem is not a lack of train or aircraft capacity in London.

It's the QE fuelled boom causing a concentration of jobs/activity in London, and the devaluation effect causing economic depression in the rest of the UK.

That's why everyone is packing onto trains etc to commute into London. ITS QE & ZIRP guys!!

The jobs need to move out of London, rather than the people commuting in.

Birmingham. Middle of the country, room and enthusiasm for a 2nd runway. Build HS2 and it wouldn't be any longer as a journey to London than airports like Narita serving Tokyo or a dozen other capital cities. Ever gone from JFK to Manhatten in bad traffic?

It would break the London stranglehold, encourage investment, business growth and services in the Midlands and north.

Simples.

The problem isn't where to fly form/to, it's a government that recognises the issues but has no stomach to do something about it. So instead, we are left with a publicity hungry halfwit who never combs his golden locks proposing a white elephant airport in completely the wrong place to serve the nees of the country.

Birmingham. Middle of the country, room and enthusiasm for a 2nd runway. Build HS2 and it wouldn't be any longer as a journey to London than airports like Narita serving Tokyo or a dozen other capital cities. Ever gone from JFK to Manhatten in bad traffic?

It would break the London stranglehold, encourage investment, business growth and services in the Midlands and north.

Simples.

The problem isn't where to fly form/to, it's a government that recognises the issues but has no stomach to do something about it. So instead, we are left with a publicity hungry halfwit who never combs his golden locks proposing a white elephant airport in completely the wrong place to serve the nees of the country.

Not a bad guy, but in this case he has got it completely wrong......but of course he has a vested interest and is very clearly bias towards London and surrounding areas ......he is after all the major of London. ;)

I think the problem is not a lack of train or aircraft capacity in London.

It's the QE fuelled boom causing a concentration of jobs/activity in London, and the devaluation effect causing economic depression in the rest of the UK.

That's why everyone is packing onto trains etc to commute into London. ITS QE & ZIRP guys!!

The jobs need to move out of London, rather than the people commuting in.

Spot on!

Idiots like Osborne and Boris Johnson believe this to be a good thing. Johnson called Cable's correct assessment as 'ridiculous'. Imagine the havoc he would create were he to ever become PM for the whole country. Very scary indeed.

One solution is to raise the interest rate on land development/property in London/SE. This is simple to do since land capital cannot move and is easily targetted.

Another solution would be to force the City/London out of the UK currency zone. Effectively the rest of the UK needs (for its own benefit) to quit the sterling zone run for and on behalf of the City of London and Westminster. Less easy to do.

Thirdly, the surpluses in London ought to be more widely recycled. A sort of Marshall Plan for UK ex-London.

None of which will ever happen whilst the country is run by and for the City by the banker drones in Westminster.

Spot on!

Idiots like Osborne and Boris Johnson believe this to be a good thing. Johnson called Cable's correct assessment as 'ridiculous'. Imagine the havoc he would create were he to ever become PM for the whole country. Very scary indeed.

One solution is to raise the interest rate on land development/property in London/SE. This is simple to do since land capital cannot move and is easily targetted.

Another solution would be to force the City/London out of the UK currency zone. Effectively the rest of the UK needs (for its own benefit) to quit the sterling zone run for and on behalf of the City of London and Westminster. Less easy to do.

Thirdly, the surpluses in London ought to be more widely recycled. A sort of Marshall Plan for UK ex-London.

None of which will ever happen whilst the country is run by and for the City by the banker drones in Westminster.

Agreed.

It's so sad that everyone (except HPCers) see the huge numbers travelling into London, and say "we need more trains, planes etc".

They don't ask... "why are so many people having to commute into London? Why are all the jobs in London?"

It's a definite Cantillon effect.

1. Print money >
  2. Give it to London centric finance sector >
  3. Cause localised London boom >
  4. Devalue the money of the rest of the UK, impoverishing them >
  5. Blame the rest of the UK for being unproductive. >
  6. Carry on the London party.
Edited by SleepyHead

Simples.

Fine, build another runway in Birmingham but it will not become a hub airport. We will end up with 2 not quite hub enough airports.

It takes 45 minutes into Tokyo on the NEX at a cost of about £20 from narita. HS2 will cost three times that and take much longer.

As for JFK there is always a jam going in - you arrive in rush hour and it takes up to an hour Manhatten, about the same as London.

If I knew I had to go to effing Birmingham next time I wanted to fly to NYC or Japan, I probably wouldn't bother.

Not a bad guy, but in this case he has got it completely wrong......but of course he has a vested interest and is very clearly bias towards London and surrounding areas ......he is after all the major of London. ;)

I am sure that people from Alaska complain the same about the New York ...

Fine, build another runway in Birmingham but it will not become a hub airport. We will end up with 2 not quite hub enough airports.

It takes 45 minutes into Tokyo on the NEX at a cost of about £20 from narita. HS2 will cost three times that and take much longer.

As for JFK there is always a jam going in - you arrive in rush hour and it takes up to an hour Manhatten, about the same as London.

If I knew I had to go to effing Birmingham next time I wanted to fly to NYC or Japan, I probably wouldn't bother.

Tokyo is a case in point. Its been sucking the life out of Japans regions for 3 decades.

No shortage of young people, jobs and activity in Tokyo, despite the overall state of the country.

Mega-city one effect.

500px-Cursed_Earth.png

This may shock you but there are actually people who live nearer Birmingham than they do London.

I'd much rather fly from Birmingham than I would from Heathrow and I live in Cambridge. Heathrow is a nightmare to get to.

This may shock you but there are actually people who live nearer Birmingham than they do London.

I'd much rather fly from Birmingham than I would from Heathrow and I live in Cambridge. Heathrow is a nightmare to get to.

Even for people nearer Heathrow, Bham is sometimes a better option because of train/motorway link being better/parking cheaper, single terminal system, etc.

Yes but far far fewer. London is by quite a way the biggest air market in the world

But the obsession with heathrow is simply a pr con-job from the airport owners. Having one massive hub is not important to anyone but the airport owners (plus maybe BA). Not having a hub certainly hasn't harmed New York or Tokyo.

Britain in general would be far better with more direct long haul flights from Birmingham / Manchester / Edinburgh et al. (Plus a second runway at Gatwick)

Yes but far far fewer. London is by quite a way the biggest air market in the world

But the obsession with heathrow is simply a pr con-job from the airport owners. Having one massive hub is not important to anyone but the airport owners (plus maybe BA). Not having a hub certainly hasn't harmed New York or Tokyo.

Britain in general would be far better with more direct long haul flights from Birmingham / Manchester / Edinburgh et al. (Plus a second runway at Gatwick)

Bloody hell, those yanks like their kerosene, though don't they.

Can someone remind me, why exactly all these people have to keep flying all over the world?

Why? .... we have telephones, skype etc. Is it really business they're doing? or is it just for the jolly jetset lifestyle, while pretending it's business?

Edited by SleepyHead

You obviously don't want to go that much. Not a problem then.

Can someone remind me, why exactly all these people have to keep flying all over the world?

Why? .... we have telephones, skype etc. Is it really business they're doing? or is it just for the jolly jetset lifestyle, while pretending it's business?

Because they enjoy it?

Last time I did a business trip, it was basically so I could swap some CDs and DVDs in some servers. We could have done everything else remotely, and I guess we could have got someone at the site to swap the disks, but the customer would rather I was there in case something went horribly wrong.

Though, this time last year, I was on the other side of the Atlantic installing a new system to prevent us making world-wide news headlines on January 1st.