House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swissy_fit

Tfh Lottery Question.

Does anyone here know someone who has won a large amount on the lottery?

It occurred to me the other day that not only I don't know anyone who has, but no-one I know knows anyone who has. Not even one of the smaller-but-still-quite-large prizes.

While the lottery might justifiably be described as a tax on the arithmetically-challenged, is it in fact something worse?

Does anyone here know someone who has won a large amount on the lottery?

It occurred to me the other day that not only I don't know anyone who has, but no-one I know knows anyone who has. Not even one of the smaller-but-still-quite-large prizes.

While the lottery might justifiably be described as a tax on the arithmetically-challenged, is it in fact something worse?

Yes. I know of someone who won nearly 40 million euros on the Euromillions lottery.

Was it you???

No, err it was a friend. No really.

Actually it was the people who bought my in-laws house. Scooped the jackpot a few months later.

Or maybe they didn't? Mind you the guy is in the paper regularly and bought several businesses which he now runs. Also he is involved with a lot of philanthropic ventures.

I suppose it could all be a cover...

Actually it was the people who bought my in-laws house. Scooped the jackpot a few months later.

Or maybe they didn't? Mind you the guy is in the paper regularly and bought several businesses which he now runs. Also he is involved with a lot of philanthropic ventures.

Are they now split up, with his philanthropy making him a much better ex-husband than your other friend?

A friend used to date someone whose parents won about £20m in the early days of the lottery. I still remember vividly the time in the first few years when 57 tickets shared the jackpot. You couldn't help but feel slightly gutted if that was the week your numbers came in. Rather than retirement you'd be looking at a 20% deposit on a bog-standard London terrace.

You've met and seen him?

:P

Back in the very early days of the national lottery, someone who had been a waiter at a hotel I worked part time in 5 years previously won a few million.

In Bury loads of people I know, know a lad who won a few million about 10 years ago. He paid to play for Bury one time. Don't know him myself.

I won a tenner once :-)

I did think one time that a premium bond jackpot was a good way for the government to make a pay-off, and it would make a good plot device.

I got 5 numbers in 2005 and won a massive £2,700.

I don't know of anyone who's had the 5+bonus or 6 numbers personally though.

In the mid to late '90s, my then-partner's father won a few hundred thousand. If I recall, he was in a syndicate that won and the few hundred thousand was just his share, so I assume the prize may have been a million or two.

He was already a millionaire anyway, so there was a grim irony to it. :)

I seem to remember he also went on to win a few thousand (nine thousand odd sticks in my mind) some weeks or months later. But hey, that's randomness for you.

Back in the very early days a girl I worked with won something like £64,000. She bought a massive 4x4, not sure what she did with the rest of it.

Also a friend of a friend won something, no idea how much but think it was a reasonable chunk in the hundreds of thousands range.

A local businessman won "the winner of £2.5m in 1995". He bought a lot of property some of which he is selling cos the banks want their money back allegedly..

Back in the early days of the lottery someone I knew, not a friend, won as part of a syndicate.

There were four people in the syndicate.

The only problem was...the chap that organised it, collected the money and played the numbers also used the same numbers on his own.

So there were two winners of the jackpot that week.

Instead of receiving 25 % the other three members only won 12.5%.

They were not pleased...sad.gif

Yow spawny get!! :huh:

I think I won enough for a set of guitar strings once! :blink:

Back in the very early days a girl I worked with won something like £64,000. She bought a massive 4x4, not sure what she did with the rest of it.

Also a friend of a friend won something, no idea how much but think it was a reasonable chunk in the hundreds of thousands range.

Probably filled it up twice a week! :blink:

You had a result. I had some lovely neighbours, who told me over the garden fence, that they'd got 5 numbers on the lottery. I was pleased for them but also panicked they might move house.

£800.

Nobody impressed by my £10 then?

I played football a couple of times against a keeper who'd won £250k in a newspaper competition in the mid 90s. He and his wife were both committed Christians and refused to indulge themselves at all, probably gave it steadily to charity.

You had a result. I had some lovely neighbours, who told me over the garden fence, that they'd got 5 numbers on the lottery. I was pleased for them but also panicked they might move house.

£800.

That's really poor. Is that recently after they made the return even worse for everything apart from 3 and 6 numbers? Just had a look at the payouts from the last draw:

Match 6 £7,984,754

Match 5 plus Bonus 2 £232,608

Match 5 £197,472

Match 4 £1,035,391

Match 3 £4,653,475

(total payout for every prize)

Dreadful.

That's really poor. Is that recently after they made the return even worse for everything apart from 3 and 6 numbers?

Unfortunately not recently, 1998. Must have been a popular winning week. They definately weren't lying because when they finally did move, it wasn't to a mansion.