House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daft Boy

Tenants Told To Pay Rent By London Council

Tina Buckley told BBC London 94.9: "What's made me so angry is my mum's been a tenant for 60 years.
"She's never been behind with her rent and when we were young and there wasn't much money she'd pay her rent before she'd feed us and clothe us and heat the house.
"Keeping the roof over our head was more important than anything else so to get this disgusting, threatening piece of literature masquerading as a Christmas greeting, it's insulting."
She says she wants a printed apology in the council's magazine.
Her mother said: "I'm absolutely mad over it."

She has never been in arrears in 60 years, yet she's "absolutely mad over it" and wants a printed apology.

She has nothing to worry about so what exactly is her problem?

She has never been in arrears in 60 years, yet she's "absolutely mad over it" and wants a printed apology.

She has nothing to worry about so what exactly is her problem?

She wanted a Thank You for paying on time for so long? Not much to ask really.

46% of tenants in rent arrears

crikey me, I find that quite hard to believe

the other 54% are missing.

46% of tenants in rent arrears

crikey me, I find that quite hard to believe

Really? You must think poor people are made of money.

There's a web site called housepricecrash (can't find link at the mo') that will educate you on the ludicrous levels of house prices and rents in this country.

Really? You must think poor people are made of money.

There's a web site called housepricecrash (can't find link at the mo') that will educate you on the ludicrous levels of house prices and rents in this country.

but these are council rents and, from the last information I could find

http://www.lbhf.gov.uk/Directory/News/Council_housing_rents_to_remain_some_of_West_Londons_lowest.asp

the rents don't seem 'ludicrous' even before considering the social contribution that I am sure is made to many

for instance, a 3 bed house in that part of the world for £122.97 per week

How low would it need to be to escape the 'ludicrous' label?

My god, it's outrageous. Reminding people they have to pay for the goods and services they consume?

Next the good folk of London will be politely asked if they could please hand some cash over before taking things out of shops!

My god, it's outrageous. Reminding people they have to pay for the goods and services they consume?

Next the good folk of London will be politely asked if they could please hand some cash over before taking things out of shops!

OK fine and dandy when your income rises faster than your housing costs....not such a happy situation when the rents rise faster than your falling real wages and/or benefits.....never mind council taxes are up this year the cuts are greater than inflation......happy days. ;)

So roughly 6,000 H&F council housing tenants behind on their rent blink.gif.

What can they do though....make them homeless to rehouse them again?......The best thing would be to give them a valued long term living wage job.......but there aren't many of those about said the wide mouth frog. ;)

What can they do though....make them homeless to rehouse them again?......The best thing would be to give them a valued long term living wage job.......but there aren't many of those about said the wide mouth frog. ;)

It's a Tory borough so their plan is probably to evict them and replace these social tenancies with "affordable" rent tenancies which can be up to 80% of market rent.

These people need to understand that their corporatist masters don't want them to live there anymore as more profitable renters can fill their places.

Harsh but that's the truth. Tories labour and libs are in the corporate pockets now. No government will do much against their fund providers and post government consultancy friends.

but these are council rents and, from the last information I could find

http://www.lbhf.gov....dons_lowest.asp

the rents don't seem 'ludicrous' even before considering the social contribution that I am sure is made to many

for instance, a 3 bed house in that part of the world for £122.97 per week

How low would it need to be to escape the 'ludicrous' label?

Jeez, you really don't get it after all these years of tax credits and bailed-out bank failures?

Many people cannot afford accommodation costs in this country, to the point they find it hard to feed their children. Those without children have been trying to save in a devalued currency. They all tell themselves it's temporary, things will get better.

Stop reading newspapers and nodding along to Jamie Oliver's "used to be working class" disapproval.

The effect of withdrawing bed-room subsidy is significant because it hits a crucial margin for many people - chronic non-payers have been cleared out, so fresh arrears suggest truly third world conditions in the UK. The fresh arrears are rising. Globalisation soon? We've been getting there for at least 15 years.

So far as I understand the Tory plan to withdraw tax credits has hit an iceberg because universal credit is an administrative failure ... but so what? Ordinary people in the UK are in serious trouble, and it's long term.

Jeez, you really don't get it after all these years of tax credits and bailed-out bank failures?

Many people cannot afford accommodation costs in this country, to the point they find it hard to feed their children. Those without children have been trying to save in a devalued currency. They all tell themselves it's temporary, things will get better.

Stop reading newspapers and nodding along to Jamie Oliver's "used to be working class" disapproval.

The effect of withdrawing bed-room subsidy is significant because it hits a crucial margin for many people - chronic non-payers have been cleared out, so fresh arrears suggest truly third world conditions in the UK. The fresh arrears are rising. Globalisation soon? We've been getting there for at least 15 years.

So far as I understand the Tory plan to withdraw tax credits has hit an iceberg because universal credit is an administrative failure ... but so what? Ordinary people in the UK are in serious trouble, and it's long term.

There's no reason to believe this is true. A 46% arrears rate suggests to me that these tenants are untouchable, that their behaviour has no consequences, because anywhere else they'd be kicked out.

What do you think private sector arrears rates are?

Seems to me the real amateur landlords are the state.

What level should the rent for a 3 bed council house in Hammersmith & Fulham be?

How about 25% of a working mans wages as they were in the 50`s?

That sounds fair enough.

I found this - some talk of average wages for 2012 (the same period that the link to the lbhf rent prices link earlier)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20442666

Average London region wage £653

So that would set the rent at £163.25, over £40 a week more than it actually was

What level should the rent for a 3 bed council house in Hammersmith & Fulham be?

I guess, you guess.

But it is affordable, including food + heat + joy. Not too difficult if we withdraw subsidies from finance.

I guess, you guess.

But it is affordable, including food + heat + joy. Not too difficult if we withdraw subsidies from finance.

how much food, how much heat and how much joy? they are things that a lot of ££ can be spent on