House Price Crash Forum

Desolation Of Smaug

jemmybutton

HOLA441

Saw this film yesterday. I am quite a fan of LOTR and even found the first Hobbit film quite enjoyable. But this film, sorry to say, I thought it was tosh. It was far too long and was frankly, just one mad scene after another. It felt rushed. I was even hoping that the Dwarves would get wiped out by Smaug.I also had to endure a 3 minute trailer for Justin Bieber at the beginning too. I felt like hurling me Ben n Jerry's at the silver screen. Could have been worse, though - it could have been that advert for Lloyds TSB where the young bloke tells about him becoming a father for the first time. That was vomit inducing.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I wish Jackson would turn his talents to science fiction. I'm fed up with hobbits.

Mr Jackson: please turn your talents to Larry Niven's 'Ringworld', (as an adult movie , not for kids) pretty please?

There's been lots of speculation about 'Ringworld' the movie over the years but no one has the cojones.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Used to love LOTR and all the other Tolkien stuff.

Somehow the films destroyed that.

They were spectacular, that is the best I can say for them, but the last 20 minutes of the Return of the King rates as my worst 20 minutes in a cinema. I felt like something died in me that day, maybe it was my teenage self.

I'm not even going to watch the Hobbit films when they come to the TV, 3 films for that smallish book is a joke.

HOLA447

I'm not even going to watch the Hobbit films when they come to the TV, 3 films for that smallish book is a joke.

I'm sure it was decided for artistic reasons, and nothing to do with wringing as much money out of the franchise as possible...

HOLA448

I watched the film with seven 10-year-old boys (:unsure:) the other day. Yes, it is too long, but it managed to keep the boys' attention for most of the time, and they all said they enjoyed it. The ending was rather abrupt and caught us all by surprise. The film was padded out with Gandalf's doings at Dol Guldur, which are only alluded to in the book, but I'm not sure the lads or I were particularly interested in those parts. Best bit was the dwarves in the barrels.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Saw this film yesterday. I am quite a fan of LOTR and even found the first Hobbit film quite enjoyable. But this film, sorry to say, I thought it was tosh. It was far too long and was frankly, just one mad scene after another. It felt rushed. I was even hoping that the Dwarves would get wiped out by Smaug.I also had to endure a 3 minute trailer for Justin Bieber at the beginning too. I felt like hurling me Ben n Jerry's at the silver screen. Could have been worse, though - it could have been that advert for Lloyds TSB where the young bloke tells about him becoming a father for the first time. That was vomit inducing.

I watched Pacific Rim a few days ago with a couple of littleish ones on a littleish screen and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Guillermo del Toro directed Pacific Rim and, reportedly, had a big hand in the LORT and Hobbit adaptations. TBH I think I'd rather watch Pacific Rim three times than either of Jackson's trilogys.

That's either something to do with the allure of giant robots punching giant monsters in the face or that I found LOTR, as technically accomplished as it is, quite soulless. If I don't end up identifying or empathising with a least one character in a movie I find the viewing experience to be cold, detached.

HOLA4411

Empire seems to be of the opposite opinion--that Hobbit 1 was so-so, but with Hobbit 2, Jackson's got his mojo back.

I'm planning to see it on Friday. I hope Empire are right. I don't think Hobbit 1 was as good as the LOTR movies, so I was hoping Hobbit (as movies) was just being a bit slow to start.

HOLA4412

I saw it last week and I thought it was a bit of a mess. Just one set-piece after another woth no real narrative. And as someone already mentioned there aren't any characters that you actually care about.

Having said that, the bit where the necromancer reveals himself as Sauron is pretty bloody awesome.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I saw it last week and I thought it was a bit of a mess. Just one set-piece after another woth no real narrative. And as someone already mentioned there aren't any characters that you actually care about.

Doesn't sound too promising, thought they might've learned from some of the criticism of the first Hobbit film. Haven't they cottoned on yet to people getting tired of big set pieces that are so over the top that they become completely unconvincing?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Yes I thought it was way too long. The dragon was also too anthropomorphic and spent way too long chatting with Bilbo; the viewer lost most of the sense of terror. In fact the dragon reminded me of the 'Clifford' character from the old Listerine adverts, voiced by Kenneth Williams. 'Oh Cliffoordddd!'

'Clifford'! Haha! Yes that is it! I thought the dragon in this film looked quite familiar :)

HOLA4417

Haven't they cottoned on yet to people getting tired of big set pieces that are so over the top that they become completely unconvincing?

For some reason, that comment reminded me that by far and away the most exciting television for me when I was a kid were the diorama-based historical re-enactions at the end of every episode of Potty Time. Examples are thin on the ground on YT but a couple of flashes of papier-mache based genius are represented here...

I was sometimes bored by the chit chat in the first-half of the show but now I realise Bentine was setting up the characters so that you understood the context and were emotionally engaged in the set piece. Maybe someone should send Peter Jackson the box set.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

That's disappointing, I liked the first one as he'd added in details to the book and it worked really well IMO.

Mind the middle film of the LOTR trilogy was dire too, so I may skip this one and see the finale.

HOLA4421

I watched Pacific Rim a few days ago with a couple of littleish ones on a littleish screen and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Probably the best blockbuster films of the year for me. It was fun, didn't take itself too seriously, decent characters you cared about despite them spending most of their time in giant robots and looked fantastic. Much better than the superhero dreck.

HOLA4422

That's disappointing, I liked the first one as he'd added in details to the book and it worked really well IMO.

Mind the middle film of the LOTR trilogy was dire too, so I may skip this one and see the finale.

I always thought the middle was the strongest. Found the first better as a 2nd viewing watching all three again once the final one came out but found Return of the King disappointing but not too bad.

HOLA4423

I always thought the middle was the strongest. Found the first better as a 2nd viewing watching all three again once the final one came out but found Return of the King disappointing but not too bad.

Loved the Fellowship of the ring, two towers was good but the return of the king went on a bit at the end and I was sick to death of Frodo's constant whining by this time The first hobbit starts slowly but at least it seems that there is a progression of events that keeps the momentum of the film going forward. The Hobbit part two is just like a computer game. To me it is all just a bit silly. I certainly won't be watching the third one...

HOLA4424

Loved the Fellowship of the ring, two towers was good but the return of the king went on a bit at the end and I was sick to death of Frodo's constant whining

I never got over the fact that the four hobbits live in the same village but two seemed to be Scottish, one from Mummerzett and the other quite posh like he'd been to a minor public school.

HOLA4425

I never got over the fact that the four hobbits live in the same village but two seemed to be Scottish, one from Mummerzett and the other quite posh like he'd been to a minor public school.

Frodo was from a fairly wealthy family wheras Sam was a gardener. The other two came from a different part of the Shire (where Frodo grew up, so maybe he should've had a bit of that accent too).

Bloody hell, that sounded geekish.

Archived