House Price Crash Forum
Eddie_George

Channel 4 News

Caught some of this by accident (never watch TV esp. news).

The journalist really articulated the case well. First class performance.

Also the Tory came across quite well - parting comment about the electoral power of boomers was quite candid too.

"Lower interest rates helping younger borrowers and penalising older savers"

Good to know the government is on the side of the "younger homeowners"

Every now and again people do actually talk about it on tv. Why it isn't no1 on everyones agenda is bizarre. It affects every household in the country.

Because they dont have the power to change it, we are observers in history most of the time.

Every now and again people do actually talk about it on tv. Why it isn't no1 on everyones agenda is bizarre. It affects every household in the country.

....people can quite easily work it out that things are way out of kilter or alignment, the reason they don't do anything is because they are being kept sweet with small gifts, top-ups and promises......all the while watching others helping themselves to huge presents and rewards for there own personal wealth gain, hoping you don't notice, and if you do will allow them get away with their hoard because otherwise their threat of other alternatives would mean that consequences will be too great to bare collectively....at the moment most people have been kept reasonably comfortable living from the proceeds of rolling exponential debt.....the question is how long can this growing debt liability keep on being kicked into the future?......how long can the confidence continue to last? ;)

C4 news is very left wing.Watching any of them interview anyone who dared to be Republican against Obama in 2008 was just plain embarassing.

Having said that Faisal Islam has knocked the spots off every other MSM TV Journo when it comes to GD2.

It's a sad day when right wing loons are watching C4 and RT for honest reporting.

The body language was interesting, Zoe Williams and David Willetts could not have been leaning further away from each other at points during the interview.

So what is David Willetts hearing when Zoe says at 1:11 minutes in relation to new house building that there is a bit of a problem because there no way in hell that young people can afford to get on the housing ladder, so either the government are hoping for a a massive crash in the housing market , and I mean massive, everything reduced by 2/3rds... or a massive increase in wages... or a massive systemic taxation change like Land Value Tax...An entire generation unlikely to get on the housing ladder or ever retire...

So what does the unspoken speech bubble over David Willetts head say?

"Lower interest rates helping younger borrowers and penalising older savers"

Good to know the government is on the side of the "younger homeowners"

Oh what a load of ********

Lower interest rates helping borrowers and penalising savers.

Take the age out of it.

He knows the score (apparently he has two brains). It was a refreshing interview because he did not disagree with what the left-winger was saying, he just kept quiet, so I assume he agreed.

However, he did then go on about how the Tories were making mortgages more affordable with HTB. I guess he had to toe the party line to a certain extent.

The body language was interesting, Zoe Williams and David Willetts could not have been leaning further away from each other at points during the interview.

So what is David Willetts hearing when Zoe says at 1:11 minutes in relation to new house building that there is a bit of a problem because there no way in hell that young people can afford to get on the housing ladder, so either the government are hoping for a a massive crash in the housing market , and I mean massive, everything reduced by 2/3rds... or a massive increase in wages... or a massive systemic taxation change like Land Value Tax...An entire generation unlikely to get on the housing ladder or ever retire...

Good to hear it on the mainstream, but the likes of Willets ability to control things is minimal IMO, in the future they will just be sitting in studios mumbling about how to provide for boomers that can`t cash in their house "equity" because the "ladder" hasn`t worked as it was supposed to. The most interesting thing for me is that the notion of a "Big HPC" doesn`t get challenged any more, a few years ago a comment like that would have been met with howls of laughter and derision. It seems pretty straightforward to me...The Young can`t/won`t buy means that the Older sellers can`t/won`t sell? Why adult commentators on TV go to great pains to skirt round this and babble about "providing mortgage finance" and still trying to pretend that property is a "ladder" is beyond me, they must think the sheeple are very thick or easily scared?

I think if London pops you will see widespread capitulation by TV talking heads that we are in BIG Crash territory, hopefully many of them will start to say how good this is for the young and the economy.

Edited by dances with sheeple

He knows the score (apparently he has two brains). It was a refreshing interview because he did not disagree with what the left-winger was saying, he just kept quiet, so I assume he agreed.

However, he did then go on about how the Tories were making mortgages more affordable with HTB. I guess he had to toe the party line to a certain extent.

You need 2 brains to hold two opposing views at the same time ; HTB is helpful and housing is overpriced.

C4 news is very left wing.Watching any of them interview anyone who dared to be Republican against Obama in 2008 was just plain embarassing.

Having said that Faisal Islam has knocked the spots off every other MSM TV Journo when it comes to GD2.

It's a sad day when right wing loons are watching C4 and RT for honest reporting.

Really? I find it a lot less left wing than BBC. Or maybe just less pro-labour. C4 seems to do just as many documentaries against Islam as it does conventional extremist groups, unlike the grovelling BBC.

What a tw@t David Willetts has turned out to be.

Takes a big issue like inter generational schism, tries to look sympathetic, claims his government are helping with x, y and z and looking at the entire issue solely from a political VI and electoral hat on.

Don't expect that **** to ever do anything big enough to be meaningful is my observation. Does he really believe what he is saying? Either way he's a cant.

Can't do this, can't do that.

He at least identifies the problem. And wrote a book about it. The rest of them won't even acknowledge there is a problem.

Looking at that interview, it looks as though he has no idea beyond what is readily available in any newspaper. Where are the ideas? Where is the will?

"We're getting young people to save more for their retirement. We're giving the young cheaper loans to help them get on the ladder. We're trying to get our donors to build some homes (honest)"

What a tw@t. Has no idea. It's almost worse for spotting a problem and then coming out with this tosh.

Yes he was useless, but it is just because they can`t come out and say, "Yes, it was a Ponzi, No you won`t get back what you paid for your house" that doesn`t get them voted back in, they will just twiddle their thumbs whatever happens.as long as they get power. I am surprised at how long this is rumbling on for though, the only comfort is that houses/flats here are literally sitting unsold for years where during the "boom" times it was mass viewings and sealed bids. Sheeple have got the first lesson; It isn`t as easy to cash out as you were led to believe, the second harsher lesson will be delivered by rising interest rates.

Edited by dances with sheeple