House Price Crash Forum
R K

Grant Shapps Tries To Prevent Housebuilding On Airfield Where He Keeps His Plane

http://www.theguardi...d-plane-housing

Grant Shapps, the Conservative party chairman, attempted to designate an aerodrome where he kept his private aircraft as a "community asset that can never be replaced" after the site was earmarked for 700 homes, the Guardian has discovered.

Shapps keeps his £100,000 foreign-registered Piper Saratoga at Panshanger airfield, which Welwyn Hatfield council identified as a site for new homes.

The Tory MP, who represents Welwyn Hatfield, said he had received "bucketloads" of mail about building on the airfield.

Panshanger, the current home of the North London flying club, is a 20-minute drive from Stevenage town centre, where Ed Miliband said he would be backing authorities that wanted to build new homes.

Shapps, however, waged a campaign to save the airfield. In the Welwyn and Hatfield Times, he said it should be considered a community asset, but the report did not mention he keeps his plane among the others there.

Shapps does not disguise the fact he is a keen pilot. He flew to attend a recording of Radio 4's Any Questions in 2010 and, under the pseudonym Michael Green, boasted of his "two aircraft".

The council rejected Shapps' arguments. It said: "The airfield site is not considered to meet the criteria for conservation area designation. It has become fragmented over time and … is not of special architectural or historic interest."

Former Government housing minister, Tory Chairman and NIMBY.

Edited by R K

Apart from anything, I would ban every politician and public servant from being able to fly on internal flights.

They should experience the travel nightmares of the rest of us in order that they may be incentivised to do something about it.

Yes, I include Cameron, Osborne and Queenie herself in that.

Perhaps he thinks he's Emerson Lake and Palmer.

(or Shapps, Green and Stockheath)

Edited by R K

Why don't he feck off somewhere else where there is another airfield then? Or plan a better airfield somewhere where housing isn't needed.

If people had always been so NIMBY then London wouldn't exist.

I can't think of anything less of a 'community' asset than a private airfield. A huge and mostly empty space available only to those with private aircraft.

Or does he think everyone has a plane?

Grant Shapps, the Conservative party chairman, attempted to designate an aerodrome where he kept his private aircraft as a "community asset that can never be replaced" after the site was earmarked for 700 homes, the Guardian has discovered.

Blimey, the quality of journalists they employ at the Guardian must really be going downhill. The story they reference was first published in Nov 2012, and it's been very actively discussed on the mainstream aviation forums all year.

A huge and mostly empty space available only to those with private aircraft. Or does he think everyone has a plane?

Its home to the North London Flying Club. Anyone can join, and you can go along and take lessons. Mind you, you might be advised to avoid Haim....

The number of these small airfields are decreasing rapidly, and once they're gone, they're gone. Personally I'd say that the last 10-15 years of unfettered immigration into the UK has had more of an impact on the lack of housing than the desire to retain the few remaining airfields that are scattered around the country.

Former Government housing minister, Tory Chairman and NIMBY.

However, Millipede may be hiding a vested interest as well.

Land between Stevenage Letchworth and Hitchin is the real target.

Greenbelt bought up as farmland using money from Letchworth Garden City Corporation when it came up for auction. LGCC treasurer committed suicide leaving a 27 page suicide note which was burned before the police arrived. A certain pie eating Yorkshireman tried and failed to get that land built on under Blair's reign.

Giving Labour town councils power to build on the Tory parishes would make that little patch worth several billion quid.

We have one of these up the road from us, it's not exactly luxury jets, and it's a green space, arguably more attractive than a field, and certainly better than a new build estate.

The general hypocrisy is staggering.

http://

www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/greenpolitics/planning/10146962/Nick-Boles-suffers-heckling-and-walk-outs-at-stormy-CPRE-meeting.html

Edited by billybong

..... These people they want it all, a nice green place to live with great views, countryside and nature to live in peace and tranquillity knowing their homes are forever rising because of the knowingly high demand but at the same time stopping others from sharing part of what they have by trying to put a block on building or waiting until land prices with building permissions reach sky high values before building (then moving)...but at the same time they want to be 10 to 20 mins flying time from the heart of London where the high value jobs are and where the money flows.....low paid ' hard working' workers living in HMO or cramped conditions are there only to keep their profits and asset prices high for them.....these people live in a different world, a very divided life from the rest and the gap is growing wider and wider.....special flowers. ;)

but at the same time they want to be 10 to 20 mins flying time from the heart of London where the high value jobs are and where the money flows.....

How is operating a light aircraft from Panshanger being 10 to 20 mins flying time from London?

How is operating a light aircraft from Panshanger being 10 to 20 mins flying time from London?

.....talking generally not specifically.......more about the mindset of these types of very special people. ;)

The airfield I operate from is constantly under threat of development, and time after time it's been rejected as it is a very important community facility. It holds weekly open day markets, and is always being used for events, displays, functions etc, the majority being non-aviation related. Everyone in the area values it (including the council who own it) and only a small number of people want it closed - those being the people who bought new build flats next to the airfield, move in knowing full well there's a very active airfield next door, then immediately demand it's closure due to noise. The only councillors who want the airfield developed represent different parts of the county who don't want their area developed so try to pick on a soft target.

There are a few wealthy types who operate from light airfields (Sir Alan and the like..) but 99% are like me - someone who's not particularly wealthy and who has to make sacrifices to pursue their hobby.

There are only a few dozen airfields left around the country (there are a lot of small grass strips but they're on private land mainly operated by farmers). It's just that aviation enthusiasts are seen as wealthy when the opposite is true. How about this - there are 1000's of golf courses around the country - these are usually much larger than some of the airfields threatened, and a lot are cliquey and elitist. Build on a few of those. Come and visit our airfield and you'll get a warm welcome and shown around if you ask - go and visit a golf club and you'll more than likely get thrown out.

The airfield I operate from is constantly under threat of development, and time after time it's been rejected as it is a very important community facility. It holds weekly open day markets, and is always being used for events, displays, functions etc, the majority being non-aviation related. Everyone in the area values it (including the council who own it) and only a small number of people want it closed - those being the people who bought new build flats next to the airfield, move in knowing full well there's a very active airfield next door, then immediately demand it's closure due to noise. The only councillors who want the airfield developed represent different parts of the county who don't want their area developed so try to pick on a soft target.

There are a few wealthy types who operate from light airfields (Sir Alan and the like..) but 99% are like me - someone who's not particularly wealthy and who has to make sacrifices to pursue their hobby.

There are only a few dozen airfields left around the country (there are a lot of small grass strips but they're on private land mainly operated by farmers). It's just that aviation enthusiasts are seen as wealthy when the opposite is true. How about this - there are 1000's of golf courses around the country - these are usually much larger than some of the airfields threatened, and a lot are cliquey and elitist. Build on a few of those. Come and visit our airfield and you'll get a warm welcome and shown around if you ask - go and visit a golf club and you'll more than likely get thrown out.

Well you would expect the relevant authorities to look at each case individually and take into account it's merits, your airfield may have a case for survival.

The issue here is that a man with multiple identities, that is also Tory party chairman and former housing minister has been abusing his power and position for personal gain.

Having a, nimby fraud as Tory housing minister and now chairman says it all about the state of the Tory party.

This is the issue of course, Shapps throwing his hat into the ring in his inimitable style is the last thing aviation enthusiasts require, many of them must be furious about the manner in which he has waded in without even mentioning his VI. He could have quite easily made the case from the point of view of an enthusiast. He is pretty much the last person I would want supporting a cause which was of importance to me. I hope the electorate in his constituency see sense at the next election....

This is the issue of course, Shapps throwing his hat into the ring in his inimitable style is the last thing aviation enthusiasts require, many of them must be furious about the manner in which he has waded in without even mentioning his VI. He could have quite easily made the case from the point of view of an enthusiast. He is pretty much the last person I would want supporting a cause which was of importance to me. I hope the electorate in his constituency see sense at the next election....

And instead vote for the Labour candidate, Michael Green? :P

Its not really the last minute. This story is over a year old. Its just some journo at the Guardian has finally stumbled across it. And it is in his constituency, and from what I've read most of his constituents want the airfield to stay.

The January influx of people from eastern europe have to have somewhere to live.

Yup. This is the real root of the problem.

Edited by SpewLabour