House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rigsby

Turning Lights Off In The House !

Why can't kids turn off lights in the house. I swear to God I must walk round the house several times a day turning off friggin lights blazing away in every room with no one in. TVs, computers all blazing away, nobody watching. Tumble drier on when its windy outside. I'm sure they all do it just to p1ss me off. Jeezus I'm turning into me Dad.

I thought with the energy saving light bulbs you were best leaving them on. (EDIT: Like fluorescent tubes)

EDIT: Leaving doors open is another matter altogether!

Leaving the heating boiler on raging full max while leaving the windows open because the house is "stuffy". That is true madness.

To the OP, call a meeting. Say that you are "worried about the environment". Say that the only way to stop us all burning up in hell is to use less power. Announce that in order to "save the environment" a tax on left on lights will be set up immediately, with terms to be decided by you. To make it equitable penalise everyone, as a percentage of their income.

Insist that "saving the planet" is the right thing to do, and fluffy pandas, cats and little dogs will die unless you all try harder.

Why can't kids turn off lights in the house. I swear to God I must walk round the house several times a day turning off friggin lights blazing away in every room with no one in. TVs, computers all blazing away, nobody watching. Tumble drier on when its windy outside. I'm sure they all do it just to p1ss me off. Jeezus I'm turning into me Dad.

Gaffer tape all the light switches and buy them night vision goggles each. With the remaining gaffer tape - tape up the tumble drier.

Gaffer tape all the light switches and buy them night vision goggles each. With the remaining gaffer tape - tape up the tumble drier.

This, put a few traps round the house too

Had a friend that put a pre-pay meter on the side of the TV.

His children were always fighting over what to watch and also watching loads of TV.

He then gave his 2 children pocket money that they could spend how they liked - including on the TV meter.

They soon sat down and co-operated on what they watched and they also watched much less as they preferred to spend the money on other stuff.

The environment angle should work with many kids - providing you haven't been indoctrinating in an alternative more free market/Randian approach to life.

Motion sensors might help with some lighting eg stairs - as will the lowest possible LED light bulb you can get away with eg around 8W.

Had to sympathise with the missus' wail yesterday, she'd only been gone from a room for 30 seconds and I'd already turned the light off assuming she wasn't going to back to it. Poor lass had to fumble her away around in the dark.

Had to sympathise with the missus' wail yesterday, she'd only been gone from a room for 30 seconds and I'd already turned the light off assuming she wasn't going to back to it. Poor lass had to fumble her away around in the dark.

For Christmas you could get her a white stick and a torch.

Employ a servant to go around turning the lights off after use. Get said servant to hang washing on line when windy (double peg everything).

You think you have problems. :P

72968490_5d4f550e0e.jpg

Am I the only one that sees the holy spit roasting, taking pride of place?

Give your kids £100 a month pocket money but they have to pay the electric bill.

I think that's a great idea, although I would do it in retrospect rather than advance. Tell 'em that next month's pocket money will be based upon any money left over from the electric bill fund of the previous month.

It's gotta be good for the bills AND the kids' education.

My problem is not the kids, it's the WIFE leaving lights on everywhere, multiple TV's/DVD's on, electric shower running not being used ('warming the bathroom up before she gets in it' !) heating cranked up etc. she drives me mad!!

My problem is not the kids, it's the WIFE leaving lights on everywhere, multiple TV's/DVD's on, electric shower running not being used ('warming the bathroom up before she gets in it' !) heating cranked up etc. she drives me mad!!

You're incompatible. Splitting up is the only solution.

You need to try another approach.

Put everything electrical on and turn the heating up too.

Let the kids know you have decided to join them and pilfer away their future inheritance.

Only a first-world bulletin board could turn up such a post (apologies if FUBRA received a carrier pigeon and posted on your behalf) :)

The bulletin board that has crashed twice in the past month or so?

The trick is to get a usage meter, ie:

http://www.ecopowershop.com/eco-gifts/efergy-elite-wireless-electricity-monitor?gclid=CPmP2rL_u7sCFUzHtAodvmAAfQ

Then you'll notice just how little your average TV, lights (with CFL bulbs) and DVD players use.

On the other hand, the electric shower will send it off the scale.

The trick is to get a usage meter, ie:

http://www.ecopowershop.com/eco-gifts/efergy-elite-wireless-electricity-monitor?gclid=CPmP2rL_u7sCFUzHtAodvmAAfQ

Then you'll notice just how little your average TV, lights (with CFL bulbs) and DVD players use.

On the other hand, the electric shower will send it off the scale.

We have one of those, and the fast boil electric kettle uses a lot.

Otherwise it's the tumble drier but I stopped using that much ages ago.

In this house it's Mr B. who never turns a light off. But I think it's a reaction against a father who was a bit like a Spanish Inquisitor about lights, radio (the wireless then), anything using an unnecessary farthing.