House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

New Virgin Media Super Hub

Unexpectedly, Virgin Media replaced my old cable modem (into which I plugged my own router) with a 'Super Hub' yesterday.

Presumably, there's no reason whatsoever for not sticking my router into the trash? Even if the new 'Super Hub' (sorry, but I can barely bring myself to type that without the quotes) goes bing, I don't have the original cable modem, so the router couldn't even be part of a contingency plan.

Any good uses for an old router? :)

Unexpectedly, Virgin Media replaced my old cable modem (into which I plugged my own router) with a 'Super Hub' yesterday.

Presumably, there's no reason whatsoever for not sticking my router into the trash? Even if the new 'Super Hub' (sorry, but I can barely bring myself to type that without the quotes) goes bing, I don't have the original cable modem, so the router couldn't even be part of a contingency plan.

I went through exactly the same process.

I can't think of any use for it.

Keep meaning to take the old router (with my other junk) to a car boot sale.

I went through exactly the same process.

I can't think of any use for it.

Keep meaning to take the old router (with my other junk) to a car boot sale.

Depends on the age of the old router, some older ones have more memory and are good to flash with open source software and that makes them better.

VM have been bought out by Trinity Global and they started by sacking 400 managers so I don't think there is anyone in charge who will ensure they send an envelope to return the old router. So flog it at a car boot sale, techies will know what to do to it.

Depends on the age of the old router, some older ones have more memory and are good to flash with open source software and that makes them better.

VM have been bought out by Trinity Global and they started by sacking 400 managers so I don't think there is anyone in charge who will ensure they send an envelope to return the old router. So flog it at a car boot sale, techies will know what to do to it.

In my case, the router belongs to me, so VM wouldn't be asking for it back anyway.

If I'd've been quicker (or perhaps if I'd've known about the swap in advance), I would've asked if I could keep the old cable modem so that I could use it with my router as a back up.

The cable guy would probably have told me 'no can do', but at least I could've asked.

I wouldn't've thought I'd take it to a car boot sale. I don't do car boot sales. I'm afraid to say that it seems likely I'll either think of a reason to keep it or sling it out.

I actually find I'm a bit disappointed by the swap. The old modem and router combo were working okay. It seems as a species we're still blindly burning through Earth's precious resources and not even for good reasons in a lot of instances.

Effectively, a cable modem and a router will become landfill perhaps several years before they really needed to--when one of them actually broke, for instance.

When they replaced mine they advised turning the superhub off as a router and still using my own one as basically the engineer said the superhub was a sack of shit.

So i did.

When they replaced mine they advised turning the superhub off as a router and still using my own one as basically the engineer said the superhub was a sack of shit.

So i did.

Was he specific? What's wrong with it?

Was he specific? What's wrong with it?

I think basically (I'm talking a good 3/4 years ago here) they wasn't up to what was advertised re range/speed etc. Probably just teething complaints. He did say that they wouldn't be able to sell them for more than 20 quid a pop though (doesn't come as a surprise they are mass produced though).

So i did.

Agreed. I had lots of problems with drop-outs on my Superhub and so switched it to modem-only mode and reverted back to my reliable router - has been a dream since. However, I think there's a newer Superhub now which is better than the one I have. Still, I'd keep your old router if I were you OP just in case you have problems with the Superhub either now or in future (IIRC there was a firmware update of the old Superhub which actually made things worse for some people who then had to revert to their own routers). Virgin aren't renowned for greate firmware on the Superhubs but new one is supposedly better as I say.

Freecycle?

So i did.

My experience is that the super hub only works ok with maybe 3 wireless devices, I changed mine to modem only mode and use a separate wireless router with it and it is much better

My advice - keep your old router as you may still need it

VM have been bought out by Trinity Global and they started by sacking 400 managers so I don't think there is anyone in charge

Will they stop sending so much bloody junk mail.

No I don't want to join them.

I found the old superhub to be pretty pointless. Every step I took out of the room I lost one bar of wifi signal, a wired connection was far superior. Virgin's response was just to keep replacing it and suggest that I'm the only one having problems.

Do you use VoIP or do you think you ever will? If so, then keep the old router as the Superhub is sh*t for it. It is apparently possible to telnet into the Superhub and turn off its own in-built VoIP support (a mate told me he'd done that but I've not tried) but it's much easier to switch the Superhub to modem mode and then plug your old router in. Virgin are unlikely to ever fix this, as it means they'll lose revenue from your use of the landline.

I gotta superhub when I moved - to an address where Virgin cable is available and alternatives are poor.

Keeping the old ADSL router in the general-junk cupboard, in case I move again and find myself back in ADSL-land.

Oh, and I no longer have an old-fashioned landline phone. Just a VOIP service over Virgin's lines, for which I pay sipgate a tenner every few months for PAYG outgoing calls (and a one-off £20 to transfer my old landline number to VOIP).

Isn't the "super hub" rather rubbish? I thought they had recalled them. :blink: