House Price Crash Forum
koala_bear

Mortgage Debt By Post Code Sector (Bba/cml)

http://www.cml.org.uk/cml/statistics/postcode

Mortgage debt by postcode sector i.e. SW1A 1 in a tasty little spread sheet to download.

SW11 6 leads with £649 Million

SW11 overall clocks £3.36bn

16 of top 20 are SW or KT post codes.

Plenty of fun for HPcers to mash up the data over the holidays with al the census demographics stuff!

Very interesting - "normal" (i.e. not Chindian billionaires) people stretching themselves to buy houses in Balham/Clapham/Wandsworth etc. Makes total sense...

Very interesting - "normal" (i.e. not Chindian billionaires) people stretching themselves to buy houses in Balham/Clapham/Wandsworth etc. Makes total sense...

Its nice to have some solid data to finally, apparently they will keep publishing this regularly.

Its nice to have some solid data to finally, apparently they will keep publishing this regularly.

Does anyone publish the number of households per postcode?

Thanks for that Koala.Very interesting.

The individual lenders are also meant to publish though not all have yet

nationwides here for example:

http://www.nationwid...ode/default.htm

Currently looking at the NW data.

HSBC as published very aggregated data:

http://www.hsbc.co.u...egional-lending

The data is BBA + Clysdesdale / Yorkshire badged as CML data (but it isn't normal CML which is larger) and is 73% of Total UK mortgage lending so 27% still lurking elsewhere.

Edited by koala_bear

Finally data for Nationwide regional bias! :rolleyes:

Nationwide helpfully provide the data in the same spreadsheet format as the cml so plenty of easy data crunching!

East Midlands £8,374,420,684 6%

East of England £9,940,863,216 8%

London £26,447,533,054 20%

North East £3,853,122,470 3%

North West £11,537,181,341 9%

Scotland £9,542,644,566 7%

South East £26,422,235,415 20%

South West £12,735,336,432 10%

Wales £3,828,697,577 3%

West Midlands £9,788,930,694 8%

Yorkshire & the Humber £7,423,743,966 6%

GB £129,894,709,416 100%

PS East of England includes Essex

Edited by koala_bear

I have all the old 2001 census demographic inc imcomes by postcode sector but I'll have look for the 2011 stuff it must be some where public now.

I have all the old 2001 census demographic inc imcomes by postcode sector but I'll have look for the 2011 stuff it must be some where public now.

I'd be very interested in trying to sample areas giving a rough idea of outstanding mortgage per household and then seeing if it's possible to extrapolate the relevant household income income data.Although I guess you'd have to make some allowance for social housing and for those on ebenefits who wouldn't be able to get a mortgage.

I'd be very interested in trying to sample areas giving a rough idea of outstanding mortgage per household and then seeing if it's possible to extrapolate the relevant household income income data.Although I guess you'd have to make some allowance for social housing and for those on ebenefits who wouldn't be able to get a mortgage.

Best of luck with that. I didn't even understand the above paragraph. Throw in something about dilithium crystals :D

Best of luck with that. I didn't even understand the above paragraph. Throw in something about dilithium crystals :D

Basically calculating how completely screwed people could in be certain areas. As all the data is aggregated and averaged it just gives you an average screwedness index for the area.

Basically calculating how completely screwed people could in be certain areas. As all the data is aggregated and averaged it just gives you an average screwedness index for the area.

Well, if you can do that then that would be wonderful info for us to have.

Here:

http://www.asadirect.co.uk/sw11-battersea-head/sw11-6-grandison-road

or here

http://www.doogal.co.uk/UKPostcodes.php?Search=SW11%206 (click download CSV)

ASA Direct = 3,859

Doogal = 4,075

Comes to ~£160k for SW11 6. This is probably the highest in the country, as the postcode districts seem to have an upper bound of around 4-5,000, but no lower bound.

In my postcode in Surrey, £60k. Though in a neighbouring, more urban, cheaper subpostcode £100k. I suspect the town-centre people are younger and more mortgaged up, whereas where I am it's all in mortgage-free boomers in big houses.

Edited by bambam

Going from the regional data, if London and the Southeast have about 7 million households and the country as a whole has 25 million, there is about £65k of mortgage debt per household in London/SE and £28k per household in the rest of the country (excluding London/SE).

Going from the regional data, if London and the Southeast have about 7 million households and the country as a whole has 25 million, there is about £65k of mortgage debt per household in London/SE and £28k per household in the rest of the country (excluding London/SE).

Doesn't credit action put total mortgage borrowing at around £1.27bn?

11.2 million households with mortgages so average mortgage is £113,000.

These CML figures are not for all lenders.

Wow, I used to live in that area. Rented of course. No longer old money there then.

I'm moving to that postcode next month (SW11 6), renting of course. The gross yield on the house, which just sold, is 2.5%. I'd assumed that this is someone who'd inherited a boatload of cash and had bought the house, but maybe not.

Does that mean people have more disposable income in many places outside of London they can spend with local businesses and within the local community?........there will always be the few in London where money forever flows, but even they have to draw a line somewhere with their excess, over indulgence and extravagance.....I suppose they store any surplus in property, in it for the long haul. ;)

Doesn't credit action put total mortgage borrowing at around £1.27bn?

11.2 million households with mortgages so average mortgage is £113,000.

These CML figures are not for all lenders.

As per one of my previous post on page 1 this data is a hybrid between BBA and CML with only 7 lenders data (BBA + Nationwide) and 73% of the total lending i.e. £890bn out of £1220bn so the debt numbers need to be multiplied by ~1.37 to get a better approximation of avg debt /HH.