House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Bellweather Dixons Reports Poor Sales

http://us.ft.com/ftsuperpage/superpage.php...id=yahoofinance

In the 28 weeks to November 12, Britain's biggest electrical retailer said that group like-for-like sales were down 7 per cent with most of the decline coming from its UK stores,

also:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../ixcitytop.html

John Clare, chief executive, said: "Trading conditions in the UK remain difficult. There has been no further significant deterioration in our overall trading in the UK during the period, but equally, no clear indication yet of any recovery in our markets."

If people are spending less how is it that they are spending more on houses (acccording to the EAs and VIs). Seems as if there is an inconsistency in market sentiment here?

Edited by Realistbear

http://us.ft.com/ftsuperpage/superpage.php...id=yahoofinance

In the 28 weeks to November 12, Britain's biggest electrical retailer said that group like-for-like sales were down 7 per cent with most of the decline coming from its UK stores,

also:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../ixcitytop.html

John Clare, chief executive, said: "Trading conditions in the UK remain difficult. There has been no further significant deterioration in our overall trading in the UK during the period, but equally, no clear indication yet of any recovery in our markets."

If people are spending less how is it that they are spending more on houses (acccording to the EAs and VIs). Seems as if there is an inconsistency in market sentiment here?

Maybe it's just because Dixons' staff are notoriously thick and their prices notoriously high.

Edited by BoredTrainBuilder

Maybe it just because Dixons' staff are notoriously thick and their prices notoriously high.

And closing down the local store and expecting people to travel ten miles to the nearest one probably doesn't help.

And closing down the local store and expecting people to travel ten miles to the nearest one probably doesn't help.

Speaking of which, does anyone else here live in Bristol?

What in the name of bloody buggery is the point in building another B+Q warehouse at Cribbs when there is already a B+Q there? How many B+Q's are there in Bristol now? 5? I mean, FFS.

But hang on, DIxons et al sell the cheap chinese produced goods we keep being told are evidence of how low inflation has helped the consumer? If sales of £50 DVD players etc are dwon I think the obvious answer is the right one - Mr and Mrs J Public have far less money to spend.

But hang on, DIxons et al sell the cheap chinese produced goods we keep being told are evidence of how low inflation has helped the consumer? If sales of £50 DVD players etc are dwon I think the obvious answer is the right one - Mr and Mrs J Public have far less money to spend.

£50 DVD players does sound like "something for nothing." Perhaps the massive level of Chinese imports is the ONLY reason why inflation has been held in check? What now the "benefit" of cheap goods has been absorbed by our (and the US) economy? Cheap consumables have at least enabled us to pay far more for our houses. This must be how Gordon Brown achieved the economic miracle? I wonder what the downside is?

Wu huh huh huh

Perhaps the massive level of Chinese imports is the ONLY reason why inflation has been held in check?

That and the fact that the huge inflation of the money supply has been stuffed into the housing market, which doesn't count as 'inflation'. Now it's moving from housing into stocks and commodities: the former doesn't matter, the latter causes real inflation and real costs in the real world as people suddenly have to pay several times as much for essential purchases.

What now the "benefit" of cheap goods has been absorbed by our (and the US) economy?

Um... inflation?

You're right: China and India have been exporting deflation for years, by replacing expensive manufactured goods in the West with cheap goods manufactured there (and, increasingly, replacing expensive white-collar jobs). As commodity prices and wages in China and India rise, they'll start exporting inflation, and there'll be little that the Western banks can do to eliminate it, since the inflation is external, not internal.

Maybe it's just because Dixons' staff are notoriously thick and their prices notoriously high.

And the rise of on - line shopping.

Personally I detest shopping; Hot, noisy, bewildering and crowded with stinking chav burger munchers clutching yards of 'stuff' packed in plastic packaging that has been ripped out of dwindling Mother Earth.

Ah, with luck I might come back as a rainforest Hornbill and Humans will have been wiped - out by Chicken Flu.

Personally, I'm inclined to place more store by Dixons trading update than that of John Lewis, for a snapshot of consumer spending.

Edited by shermanator

Personally, I'm inclined to place more store by Dixons trading update than that of John Lewis, for a snapshot of consumer spending.

If, as in the US, consumer spending is the engine that drives the economy we must be at the beginning of a sharp recession. I have been watching US interest rates and they are already going into reverse after the Fed hinted that further hikes may derail the recovery--must be a very weak recovery. Perhaps no recovery at all. A recession is long overdue and the economy has too much steam left in the bubble which means no more expansion until a contraction provides the room.

Look @ this blatent hiding of Dixon group bad info by Reuters!

All looks reasonable on the UK biased FRONT page - but click on "Continued" to find out the real story!

"DSG sees no pick-up in trade"

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticl...-RETAIL-DSG.xml

Part of the reason for this is we're saturated with all this cheap electronic stuff. Why pay £50 for a new DVD player at Dixons when you can get pretty much the same thing for £20/£30 at Cash Converters? The one round the corner from me has reduced their DVD prices (from 4 for £15 to 3 for £10) and - shock horror - they've got a widescreen tv in the window.

Way to go.