House Price Crash Forum
Clueless_Academic

Self Build Boom - Future Trend 2014

This 2 bedroom house built from recycled plastic bottles is bulletproof and fireproof and can withstand earthquakes. Oh, and it also reportedly holds a comfy year-round temperature of 64 degrees F. The bottles were filled with sand and are held together by mud and cement to form a solid wall that supposedly is stronger than cinder clocks. A man builds a wall with plastic bottles in the village of Sabon Yelwa. A group of activists have come up with a plan to build a house using bottles, providing what they say is an environmentally smart way to tackle the housing shortage problem in Nigeria. -

See more at: My link

Nineteen-year old mason, Yahaya Musa, checks a wall of made of sand-filled plastic bottles in the village of Sabon Yelwa. Sitting on 58-square metres, the two-bedroom bungalow looks like an ordinary home.

“…the nearly-complete home is bullet and fireproof, earthquake resistant, and maintains a comfortable interior temperature of 64 degrees fahrenheit year round!…” ~Inhabitat

The United States uses 129.6 Million plastic bottles per day! That’s 47.3 Billion plastic bottles per year. About 80% of those plastic bottles end up in a landfill!

1500 plastic bottles per second

60 seconds per minute X 60 minutes = 3600 seconds per hour

3600 seconds X 24 hours per day = 86400 seconds per day

1500 plastic bottles per second X 86400 seconds per day = 129,600,000 plastic bottles per day

47.3 Billion plastic bottles per year

The article states it took about 14,000 bottles to build this home.

The United States throws away enough plastic bottles to build 9257 of these 2 bedroom houses per day!

That’s 3.37 MILLION homes per year that could be built using recycled plastic bottles!

Just as a side note, there are approximately 3.5 Million homeless people in the United States. Makes you think a little about recycling more now doesn’t it?

These homes can be built at a fraction of the cost of traditional houses, and they can be built all over the world.

*** - See more at: http://www.naturalblaze.com/2013/12/impenetrable-fireproof-house-made-from.html#sthash.mihzqYJX.dpuf

The NIMBY's wouldn't allow it + in the UK they would want £200k for 0.001 acre of land to put it on.

The cost of the building is irrelevant in the UK as the price of land is so high, due to restrictive planning policies of the last 30 years.

I think these solutions are perfect for developing countries, and make sense in a whole host of ways, but as Wurzel of Highbridge keeps pointing out, it is the cost of land with planning permission that is the real cost of self-building in the UK, not the cost of materials.

Would proposing to build out of recycled plastic bottles make is easier/harder to get planning permission here in the UK?!

Hmmm doesn't plastic age and crack in the sun? What happens then? or of some vandal comes round with a stanley knife?

Looks like a pretty dumb gimmick to me.

The original Earthships with their glass bottle construction seem more sensible, but I'd bet the UK government would class your house as landfill either way!

Needs a light. Other than that, youre doing pretty good. What BCG and barrel are you running?

Fol di rol, another troll.

My bolt carrier group is licensed and regularly helps me get posse's.