House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Chuckle Brother Does Wail Piece To Try And Flog Mansion

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2523711/Welcome-Chuckle-Towers-Paul-Elliotts-bedroom-mansion-complete-fully-stocked-bar-snooker-room.html

However, you could say that Paul has become a victim of his own success. The palatial house, set down a private road, has been on the market for nearly two years. Despite reducing the asking price by £150,000 to £550,000, he has yet to find a buyer.

‘We’ve had only four or five viewings in all that time,’ says Paul, who believes the house may be just too expensive for local buyers.

‘The average house price around here is in the region of £95,000; we’re charging more than five times that.’

article-2523711-1A19C71700000578-235_634x418.jpg

At least it now qualifies for a govt backed mortgage.

Although you suspect he built a mansion in the wrong area. Still just think what delightful 2 bed rabbit hutch you can get for the same money in London.

"believes the house may be just too expensive for local buyers"

It's worth what you can get.

It's an odd blindness to have this belief that the price set by yourself or some EA muppet is some fixed value.. things like the local economy, local demand for houses of that type, borrowing costs etc etc are nothing to do with it. Its worth X and if no-ones buying it then the buyers must be wrong. Or the banks just aren't lending enough. Silly banks. Silly reality.

To me. To you? No, you keep it you tw4t.

To me, to . . . no one.

Maybe connected to shutting down Scarborough's Futurist.

Their summer season run kept them in chin wax.

It's an odd blindness to have this belief that the price set by yourself or some EA muppet is some fixed value..

I'm surprised there is not more analysis of the psychology of this - I assume it's some collective cognitive bias (belief bias?).

There is a special exemption from market economics when discussing UK property values. I can think of no other asset that behaves like this.

My personal control example is still on the market for £650K, 6 years after it was first put on the market at that price. They bought it 3 years before that for 300K. When you talk to them they are "desperate to sell it' but immediately follow with "but we would rather wait for the market to recover". It's got 5 bedrooms. They use one of them.

Hmm,

Lying big-chinned b.stard.

This is it on zoopla:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/half-acres/manor-road/hatfield/doncaster/dn7-6sa/7099090

Property type: Detached | Tenure: Freehold | Last sale: £245,000 | Sale date: 30th Jul 2002

'Paul and wife Sue, 56, bought Half Acres for £300,000 in 2002 and have spent about £50,000'

I reckon is worth what he paid for it.

Zoopla's historical ad says:

Previously listed for sale on 22nd May 2012 for £574,950

Just as well he's diversified a bit:

'They built a five-bedroom villa with pool on the Greek island of Kefalonia, which they rent to holidaymakers, and own a two-bedroom apartment on the island, where they themselves holiday. They have also bought a two-bed apartment in Calabria, Italy, which they visit twice a year.'

Two places in Greece. One in Italy.

Fingers crossed Italy and Greece don't, you know, fall to bits.

Whats that you say?

First time any thing by one of the Chuckle Brothers has made me laugh.

Yeah, me too.

The jokes just write themselves, don't they?

Hmm,

Lying big-chinned b.stard.

This is it on zoopla:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/half-acres/manor-road/hatfield/doncaster/dn7-6sa/7099090

Property type: Detached | Tenure: Freehold | Last sale: £245,000 | Sale date: 30th Jul 2002

'Paul and wife Sue, 56, bought Half Acres for £300,000 in 2002 and have spent about £50,000'

I reckon is worth what he paid for it.

Zoopla's historical ad says:

Previously listed for sale on 22nd May 2012 for £574,950

Just as well he's diversified a bit:

'They built a five-bedroom villa with pool on the Greek island of Kefalonia, which they rent to holidaymakers, and own a two-bedroom apartment on the island, where they themselves holiday. They have also bought a two-bed apartment in Calabria, Italy, which they visit twice a year.'

Two places in Greece. One in Italy.

You forgot to add the Brittany farmhouse also mentioned in the article...

May be it would have a chance if it wasn't so pig ugly.

Yes...I had to laugh at the description 'palatial' in the article...looks more like an oversized 1980s executive home to me, complete with carriage lamps...

According to Rightmove historical sales data for DN7

Jan 04 ave sale price was £107,000

Jun 2013 £128,000

July 2013 £107,000

Aug 2013 £88,000

Only about 10 houses shifting a month in that postcode,but it's pretty much flat aside from low volume yoyo's since 2004.Probably worth what he's thrown at it in this market.

It's a bit of a hotch potch from the outside. The two rooms we have access to are a snooker room and a bar presented as a pseudo public house.....an estate agent's nightmare. Not surprised this one isn't selling.

Guest eight

To me, to . . . no one.

Maybe connected to shutting down Scarborough's Futurist.

Their summer season run kept them in chin wax.

Currently appearing in panto (probably literally, even as I type this) about 500yds down the road. My daughter went with her school last week and seemingly thoroughly enjoyed it. Mind, she is five.

I'm surprised there is not more analysis of the psychology of this - I assume it's some collective cognitive bias (belief bias?).

There is a special exemption from market economics when discussing UK property values. I can think of no other asset that behaves like this.

My personal control example is still on the market for £650K, 6 years after it was first put on the market at that price. They bought it 3 years before that for 300K. When you talk to them they are "desperate to sell it' but immediately follow with "but we would rather wait for the market to recover". It's got 5 bedrooms. They use one of them.

Why do they think it is should sell for twice what they paid? Surely no one can be that deluded.

Why do they think it is should sell for twice what they paid? Surely no one can be that deluded.

There is a generation that has hardwired the fact property is worth nothing less than the most extreme valuation they can self-justify based on selective information from previous bubbles and property prices in other regions.

At no point does the fact that nobody even comes to view the property from one year to the next signal that this valuation may be incorrect.

They see it simply as some temporary delay before some other generation inevitably discovers this gem of a property and pays what it is worth.

There is a generation that has hardwired the fact property is worth nothing less than the most extreme valuation they can self-justify based on selective information from previous bubbles and property prices in other regions.

At no point does the fact that nobody even comes to view the property from one year to the next signal that this valuation may be incorrect.

They see it simply as some temporary delay before some other generation inevitably discovers this gem of a property and pays what it is worth.

:lol: I think the chuckle brothers should do a panto about deluded property mentalists in the UK, "It is worth how much I say it`s worth dammit!" "Oh no it isn`t" "Oh yes it bloody well is!"

Probably wouldn`t go down too well with the hocked up public though :lol:

Still for sale... in Doncaster: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42332248.html

Oh and he tried it at £850,000 in 2011. Was told that was its value when remortgaging.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-1343656/This-Chuckle-Brother-laughing--sold-built-Kefalonia.html

Looks like they still have the French investment property too. http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8016160