House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Lazy M P Was Actually Pregnant

BBC website: MP Lucy Powell responds to 'lazy MP' Sun newspaper list.

An MP says she is "appalled" she was listed in a newspaper's "Top 10 laziest MPs" list that was based on her voting record while she took maternity leave.

Pregnancy might be the reason (making 'lazy' a poor choice of word), but isn't the net effect the same?

Why is pregnancy a better reason--more 'worthy'--than, say, she just fancied putting her feet up at home and watching TV for a few weeks or months?

BBC website: MP Lucy Powell responds to 'lazy MP' Sun newspaper list.

Pregnancy might be the reason (making 'lazy' a poor choice of word), but isn't the net effect the same?

Why is pregnancy a better reason--more 'worthy'--than, say, she just fancied putting her feet up at home and watching TV for a few weeks or months?

Well, yes the outcome is the same of course.

Must of us would however think that a valid reason for missing debates for a few months, as for example would be being ill. I'm not sure what her alternative was - standing down because she was pregnant?

Simple mistake by The Sun journo, or rather "lazy journalism".

Well, yes the outcome is the same of course.

Must of us would however think that a valid reason for missing debates for a few months, as for example would be being ill. I'm not sure what her alternative was - standing down because she was pregnant?

Simple mistake by The Sun journo, or rather "lazy journalism".

Do you think illness and pregnancy are similar cases?

I nearly put that caveat in because as I have been told many times by women: "Pregnancy is not an illness".

Its effects are similar though.

I think they are rather closer than lazy and pregnant. One perpetuates the species and is generally regarded as a worthwhile, if not defining, human activity, the other is not. Obviously, you might not agree - but I think you'd be in the minority.

Some women have a tough time with pregnancy, others manage perfectly fine (one I know was still riding a bike in her 8th month - but she is certainly the exception).

Pairing will have mitigated much of the effect anyhow and the timing would likely mean some the leave took place during recess.

I guess you could be a little cynical about the timing of election/announcement, but even MPs are entitled to a private life - especially in early days of a pregnancy.

Would you say illness is less of a choice than pregnancy?

Where are you going with this? Immediate sacking followed by a by-election for any female MP who becomes pregnant? Or maybe have a minimum age of fifty for a woman to become an MP so the issue doesn't arise?

No one can "fill in" for an MP. It's not like a normal job where you can employ someone to cover for the leave.

Why do they have to be in the HOC to vote anyway?

Would you say illness is less of a choice than pregnancy?

Depends on the illness, surely? Quite a few are preventable. Pregnancy is, usually, a choice but the timing isn't.

I guess for better or worse - we've collectively decided as a country that pregnancy is something that is supported by the whole and by workplaces (hence maternity leave, various benefits etc).

I'm not sure I see much of a story here - unless you are advocating a change.

Where are you going with this? Immediate sacking followed by a by-election for any female MP who becomes pregnant? Or maybe have a minimum age of fifty for a woman to become an MP so the issue doesn't arise?

I'm not really going anywhere with it. I'm just thinking out loud.

I suppose I was thinking along these lines:

Getting pregnant can be an accidental occurrence; just 'one of those things' that can happen. Maybe a similar situation would be a skiing accident. Just because you were skiing, doesn't mean you were planning an accident (in fact, you may have been careful to avoid such an accident). But I just wonder if it was a skiing accident that'd caused her to be away from Parliament for a while (although still doing constituency work away from London), whether her moral highground would be quite so high.

If the Sun had taken a 'should hobble into Parliament' / 'self inflicted wounds' stance regarding a skiing accident, whether they'd've felt the need to tweet an apology afterwards.

Getting pregnant can be an accidental occurrence; just 'one of those things' that can happen. Maybe a similar situation would be a skiing accident. Just because you were skiing, doesn't mean you were planning an accident (in fact, you may have been careful to avoid such an accident). But I just wonder if it was a skiing accident that'd caused her to be away from Parliament for a while (although still doing constituency work away from London), whether her moral highground would be quite so high.

Actually, now that I think of it, imagine that Nadine Dorries had injured herself while trying to eat a kangaroo testicle in the jungle that had caused her to be away from Parliament for a while. :D

My basic take on it is that I want professional women to have babies as I do not want the next generation populated exclusively from those on benefits.

So I will always support any working woman who wants to have a baby, even if it causes a temporary work problem.

My basic take on it is that I want professional women to have babies as I do not want the next generation populated exclusively from those on benefits.

So I will always support any working woman who wants to have a baby, even if it causes a temporary work problem.

There was s recent study and report saying that teenage girls on benefits were 10 times mire likely to get pregnant than teens from a well off background.

Houston, we have a problem!!!

Labour, what have you done?!???

No one can "fill in" for an MP. It's not like a normal job where you can employ someone to cover for the leave.

Why do they have to be in the HOC to vote anyway?

Exactly. If only there was perhaps some way for them to log into a secure site and vote. We'll just have to wait for someone to invent the internet.....

No need to miss any debates they can do a video conference call and sit at home with their feet up.

Exactly. If only there was perhaps some way for them to log into a secure site and vote. We'll just have to wait for someone to invent the internet.....

No need to miss any debates they can do a video conference call and sit at home with their feet up.

All they need is a verified Twitter account- transparent and secure. It's so easy there's no excuse for filing through the lobby.

Whether you want MPs to be able to vote more easily is another matter..