House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

Portable Temporary Home Delivered Like Furniture

Something similar but IMO rather more cleverly designed:

http://vimeo.com/64682209

It was on the telly last week .. apparently costs around £55k installed and fully fitted, but as little as 12k otherwise if you build yourself. The presenter said it fell within the constraints of permitted development so no additional permission needed as long as it's 2m from a boundary.

Seems to me that if you had a large garden you could plonk one of these in it and create a fully livable and self contained second home for a single or couple. Wouldn't be much use as a granny flat though as you'd need a bit of dexterity to negotiate those zany steps inside.

Something similar but IMO rather more cleverly designed:

http://vimeo.com/64682209

It was on the telly last week .. apparently costs around £55k installed and fully fitted, but as little as 12k otherwise if you build yourself. The presenter said it fell within the constraints of permitted development so no additional permission needed as long as it's 2m from a boundary.

Seems to me that if you had a large garden you could plonk one of these in it and create a fully livable and self contained second home for a single or couple. Wouldn't be much use as a granny flat though as you'd need a bit of dexterity to negotiate those zany steps inside.

I am convinced that factory built housing is the way forward. You can get the benefit of reduced costs and more accurate fit.

Also, now that uv plastic has proved itself, the outside need not look at all 'pre-fab', just bolt on panels to give a modern, Victorian, Tudor or what you wish exterior.

The example shown is small and a bit cramped but probably influenced by Caravan and Yacht design. Something slightly larger would probably do me.

Extensions could be factory made ready to fit.

Best of all, if you needed to move, take the thing with you.

We already have 'Park Homes' which are caravans, some of which look like houses, so all that a Local Authority need do is licence standard sites.

The presenter said it fell within the constraints of permitted development so no additional permission needed as long as it's 2m from a boundary.

The 2m rule is part of Class E outbuilding permitted development. The building must be for "incidental" use rather than standalone accommodation (usually, this means no kitchen/bathroom).

I've done a lot of research on this and have been through the process to get the legal certificates.

Permitted development is well worth looking into. It avoids all the usual local policy issues that you have to deal with when going for planning permission.

I am convinced that factory built housing is the way forward. You can get the benefit of reduced costs and more accurate fit.

Also, now that uv plastic has proved itself, the outside need not look at all 'pre-fab', just bolt on panels to give a modern, Victorian, Tudor or what you wish exterior.

The example shown is small and a bit cramped but probably influenced by Caravan and Yacht design. Something slightly larger would probably do me.

Extensions could be factory made ready to fit.

Best of all, if you needed to move, take the thing with you.

We already have 'Park Homes' which are caravans, some of which look like houses, so all that a Local Authority need do is licence standard sites.

Cheapest way must be this IMO My link

Edited by long time lurking

The 2m rule is part of Class E outbuilding permitted development. The building must be for "incidental" use rather than standalone accommodation (usually, this means no kitchen/bathroom).

I've done a lot of research on this and have been through the process to get the legal certificates.

Permitted development is well worth looking into. It avoids all the usual local policy issues that you have to deal with when going for planning permission.

Well, that QB2 building definitely has a kitchen and bathroom but the presenter said it fell under permitted development. Maybe if you had it off the mains utilities (water collection, composting toilet, solar power) the regs would be less strict?

Mind you, sounded too good to be true. A compact pre-fab unit, which you could self assemble or have delivered, designed to be 'sustainable', capable of comfortably housing a single or couple, costing from 12k up to 55k all-in that didn't require PP if you have a large enough space to drop it in to? We can't have that!

I'm definitely interested in permitted development. Sounds like a great way to expand your useful space without lots of bureaucratic hassle. You could have a small gym, or office, or workshop, or studio, or home cinema assuming you had enough garden space.

but the presenter said it fell under permitted development.

All depends on the use. You can build it for the dogs to live in, just not people.

Maybe if you had it off the mains utilities (water collection, composting toilet, solar power) the regs would be less strict?

That doesn't affect permitted development.

I'm definitely interested in permitted development. Sounds like a great way to expand your useful space without lots of bureaucratic hassle. You could have a small gym, or office, or workshop, or studio, or home cinema assuming you had enough garden space.

You can take up to 50% of the garden.

The only bureaucratic hassle is that you fill in a form for a CLOPUD (~£80). It goes to the council legal department rather than the planners to make a decision. It's faster, neighbours can't object and it doesn't have to confirm to the approved local style.

I've just done a 540sqft cinema/music room, just 60cm from the house with a covered walkway between so I don't get wet if it's raining. Next project is to double the garage from 600sqft to 1200sqft so it's suitable for subsequent conversion. A neighbour just got planning permission to use theirs as a separate dwelling.

Isn't there something in the regs about anyone living in the outbuilding having to share one meal a day in the main household? So you can't build a shed (or put a caravan) in your garden at No 22 Acacia Avenue and call it 22A and have lodgers (or fifty Romanians) living in it.