House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Bungling Ea Meets Chris Evans

Not surprised, lymington is a very snobby town full of boomers and old money. The amount of times I've heard that a HPC will never affect lymington as its "special " are too numerous to count.

The very same line is trotted out in every village and town surrounding it inc beaulieu, stretching to Poole.

And it's all a load of rubbish as the early 90's crash hit lymington very hard.

Allegations of rudeness, instant and incorrect assumptions, general incompetence and a hand-wringing, grovelling attempt to rescue the situation.

It's all there, isn't it?

Welcome to the real world Chris Evans, where people look down on you if you dont conform to a certain stereotype. At least he was famous so had the last laugh, but the rest of us just have to put up with being humiliated like that.

Allegations of rudeness, instant and incorrect assumptions, general incompetence and a hand-wringing, grovelling attempt to rescue the situation.

It's all there, isn't it?

Yup, good for a laugh, not the first time Lymington has hit thee press due to its baffling snootiness.

We had the argos fiasco, where the local business owners and councillors blew their top at the plans for argos to take over the boarded up remains of woolworths.

lymington vs argos

The snobs won this round, but it was a pyrrhic victory as a 99p store eventually took over the spot woolies once enjoyed, local councillors still complained about the 99p store though.

lymington vs 99p store

Next came JD whetherspoons with another outrageous plan to open a business and generate jobs, wealth and taxes in lymington in 2010, councillors initially were having none of this and rejected the application, yet after another proposal and the recession really starting to bite, one councillor a former publican tipped the vote in favour of whetherspoons, rejecting the visions of streets covered in vomit and brawling youths from pennington after drinking cheap booze that the other older, stuck up councillors feared.

lymington vs jd whetherspoons

Also in the background at the time was another group of older snobby nimbys from lymington trying to stop a housing development being built, because it was not in keeping with the character. In reality it was just a fear that a substantial increase in supply at a time of stagnating prices would hammer local prices.Shame H2b came in to push asking prices back up again to 2007 +20%,asking prices were regularly being cut over the last 2 years.EDIT* I forgot to add that the housing development is on a brownfield site that has been derelict for a decade and before that had a chicken processing factory operating there, so once again it is local nimby boomers denying housing on even a derelict brownfield site which is a bit of an eyesore, totally indefensible yet attracts support from like minded nimbys attempting to kick away the ladders.

lymington vs house building.

In short, this town should be renamed nimbyton.

I used to have a lot of respect for Chris Evans (and still enjoy him as a broadcaster), but he is so up his own Beaulieu it is becoming a joke. Almost daily on his Radio 2 show, he brags about flying off to Monaco for the weekend, buying a new Ferrari, buying a 4K TV etc etc... completely out of touch with normal people

I used to have a lot of respect for Chris Evans (and still enjoy him as a broadcaster), but he is so up his own Beaulieu it is becoming a joke. Almost daily on his Radio 2 show, he brags about flying off to Monaco for the weekend, buying a new Ferrari, buying a 4K TV etc etc... completely out of touch with normal people

Ah yes...I never quite realised why I switched off his Radio 2 show but this is the reason.

Also, his wife giving birth to their 2nd child...as if no other woman in the world has had a baby. :rolleyes:

completely out of touch with normal people

Sure. But wouldn't you be? Where does an obligation that he must keep in touch with ordinary people come from? He's enjoying his money, he has nothing to be ashamed of, he talks about his life because that's what's happening to him.

I say good for him and although I don't listen to him much when I do hear people like that talk about their lives in a non-boastful manner but rather in a casual 'thats just how it is' way I actually find it interesting. And so do others, he isn't hired for no reason. Wheres the shame in success? He also does his work for then fun of it, the guys simply having a ball and perhaps its better to wonder how you can enjoy your life more too instead of letting envy make you miserable.

I say good for him and although I don't listen to him much when I do hear people like that talk about their lives in a non-boastful manner but rather in a casual 'thats just how it is' way I actually find it interesting.

You'd probably like Hello! magazine, then. I've heard it's full of similarly interesting stories about how the super rich spend their money.

Sure. But wouldn't you be? Where does an obligation that he must keep in touch with ordinary people come from? He's enjoying his money, he has nothing to be ashamed of, he talks about his life because that's what's happening to him.

I say good for him and although I don't listen to him much when I do hear people like that talk about their lives in a non-boastful manner but rather in a casual 'thats just how it is' way I actually find it interesting. And so do others, he isn't hired for no reason. Wheres the shame in success? He also does his work for then fun of it, the guys simply having a ball and perhaps its better to wonder how you can enjoy your life more too instead of letting envy make you miserable.

+1000

Chris Evans is a great bloke both on screen/radio and in person.

Evans is a smug, egocentric, bullying c*cck.

Nice to see he him stuffing one of his own kind though.

Yes, I have heard of one tale, from someone involved, suggesting extreme bullying, and rather tawdry, behaviour during the TFI days.

I thought it was generally concluded, at the time, that he was a c0ck but on his re-emergence at Radio 2 he seemed to have been rehabilitated as a non-c0ck. Whether this is genuine, or a sort of cynical Madonna style reinvention, seems uncertain.

Either way, I've no time for the tedious Timmy Mallet 2.0

You'd probably like Hello! magazine, then. I've heard it's full of similarly interesting stories about how the super rich spend their money.

Maybe I would, I've not read it. Have you?

Either way, I've no time for the tedious Timmy Mallet 2.0

Im sure he's devastated

I'm going to dress as a tramp and visit the local EAs, and grab all the brochures on mansions, to see what happens.

Maybe, an age inappropriate, relationship with Billie Piper, if you're lucky.

How on earth did Redrow get this massive development off the ground http://www.lymingtonshores.co.uk - ah I see starting prices are;

£400K........

lymington_shores_3.jpg

Yeah pretty expensive for flats. Redrow were going to build 300 homes but the nimbys whinged so much they built around 180. This more than likely had a massive factor in jacking up the prices per unit on those 180 odd homes.

The pub thing with chris evans is odd too, money to burn was exactly the same thing I thought when I heard as anyone who lives locally will know that the tollhouse has had many, many owners over the years trying to run this pub and it just doesnt work. The last couple who tried running it gave up, set fire to it and tried and insurance job on it. It didnt work.

Outside of a few clientele that eat at the haven where mr.evans eats regularly and is apparently a business partner with the havens owner in this venture involving the tollhouse, nobody eats there or drinks there in any meaningful numbers and its just too far from the hightstreet to capture the weekend crowd or any daytime tourists.

Lymington on the radio yesterday for succeeding in reinvigorating the high street.

Haven't been there for a couple of years. Dull place.

The highstreet on a saturday is a no go zone for anyone that does not want to be caught in a human traffic jam of pensioners choking the streets and moving at 0.5 kph.

Accordingly all the stores in the highstreet cater for the older person. Except the pubs, of which their are around a dozen all over the town which makes for a pretty good pub crawl at the weekend, especially in the summer time.