House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Could The Universe Collapse Today?

Could the universe collapse TODAY? Physicists claim that risk is ‘more likely than ever and may have already started’

Collapse could be down to a subatomic particle known as the Higgs boson

Higgs boson is evidence for an energy field that pervades the universe

Shift in field will cause particles in it to become billions of times heavier

The new weight will squeeze all material into a small, super-hot and heavy ball, and the universe as we know it will cease to exist

The Wail takes hysteria to all new levels with this headline. Sadly no mention what it would likely mean for house prices across the universe.

It's lucky I am on holiday for a few weeks! I hope the Universe is here when I come back! :huh:

That is not how Brian Cox described the end of the universe. I seem to remember it just gaining entropy.

(do they mean 'universe' or galaxy?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe

No this is more like, er, a phase change (tries desperately to this of an analogy). Bit like where you have supercooled liquid water. The water is not liquid because there is no "seed" for crystallisation to take place. If you take supercooled water and add in the seed it will rapidly change to ice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercooled_water

This research is basically saying something "similar" could happen. All that we need is the seed. The good thing is that if it does happen we won't see it coming (it will approach at the speed of light) and it will happen instantaneously, so we won't know what hits us, one point in time we will be there, the next not.

All this sort of stuff isn't new, I seem to remember reading similar therories on other instabilities some time ago. What is the likelyhood that it will happen ? Well to me anything that is possible will happen in a universe of infinite time. Whether it actually could happen depends on whether the maths and the current understanding is correct, which is unlikely, due to the fact there is so much we don't know about gravity and how it works.

The universe has been around for about 13 billion years, so if this was to happen in the next five minutes, well, we'd be a bit unlucky is all I can say.

Whatever the details the idea that the universe will eventually end up being utterly devoid of anything of interest for all eternity is incredibly depressing. Rather a pity that what few alternatives have been suggested sound like wishful thinking.

So house prices crashing isn't enough for you lot is it...? Now it's the frggin' universe...!

Might as well get some extra pies and beer in today as there'll be nowt left in shops once this kicks off...

XYY

So house prices crashing isn't enough for you lot is it...? Now it's the frggin' universe...!

This is off-topic after all... Mind you houses are part of the universe, but significantly out-numbered by the parts of it that aren't houses.

This is off-topic after all... Mind you houses are part of the universe, but significantly out-numbered by the parts of it that aren't houses.

Shortage you say? Buy now before they're all taken!