House Price Crash Forum
rollover

More Than Two Million Foreign Investors Own Uk Property

New analysis shows a surge in foreign buyers snapping up UK homes. There was a surge of around 110,000 new buyers in the most recent yea It meant the total rose 6pc from 1.93m to 2.04m between 2011 and 2012. The increase over five years was 39pc increase in the number of overseas landlords, climbing from 1.46 million in 2006.

Huge numbers of homes in central London in particular have been bought as long-term investments and have driven a boom in prices. House prices in London have shot up 9.4pc over the past year, is expected to continue in the coming years. Link

For how long the recovery can go on?

Edited by rollover

CPO them and sell them off at auction.

Since when were we all working for the benefit of other nationals.

Vote UKIP.

Since osbourne and Cameron decided to allow the outsourcing of our housing market and housing stock to china, Singapore and Hong Kong. They will promote global buy to let before they contemplate house price depreciation.

It was bad enough before that they were encouraging uk baby boomers to get into property and become landlords to underpin the market now they are encouraging the global baby boomers and anyone with savings to come and join in turning over the uks younger generations.

This is another lie about "foreign" investors.It is insulting intelligence.How many homes are then in London if 2 million homes are owned buy foreigners/expats?Considering that there are around 7 million people in London someone should finally do their sums correctly.Anyhow, huge majority of these "foreign investors", are offshore City funds that buy in bulk on behalf of the UK ruling "elite" who are registered abroad with FLS +HTB+some other dodgy Gov.prop up scheme only known to insiders.There was a thread about suspicions that Banks/Gov are concentrating their lending on London while the rest of the UK can go down the drain and this is obviously the reason why - to prop up their "investments" into which they put no money at all with these kinds of news of "huge influx of foreign property investors".My fellow HPCers, do not fall for this kind of crap lies.

Hard to get angry about this when I think of all the people I know with houses in Spain, Cyprus etc. that only get used a few weeks a year.

You cannot compare second homes on a Spanish costa with foreign investment in London. First, those villas are mostly in rural or coastal areas, away from the bustling cities. Second, they're not pricing out local families, as they have plenty of land and don't have NIMBYs stopping new constructions - the costas are not like Cornwall.

Hard to get angry about this when I think of all the people I know with houses in Spain, Cyprus etc. that only get used a few weeks a year.

There is a huge surplus of housing in Spain with a lot of property having been built for foreigners. It is not the case that foreigners in Spain are buying up the housing stock at the expense of locals. Also a lot of those buying in the UK are buying as a tax dodge or investment, not as a holiday home.

There was also an HPC thread about some guy who buys 100's of properties (regardless of their condition) in the North England on behalf of - City "investment" fund.This also confirms what I know for a long time now:Gov cronies "buy" (with the help of liar loans + HTB + QE + FLS + dodgy schemes for insiders only) properties, then trumpet these "statistics"/lies into the media then sheeple jump onto the bandwagon, then property prices go up, then sell for profit and pay no tax since they are registered offshore.Of course,they did not risk any money in this.Did they?

And even if they do not sell,even better for them - they will get eternally grateful and pacified debt slaves who will not rise against them in fear of not losing "their" home.

Mission accomplished either way.Sure win thanks to their Gov. friends/puppets that cost them nothing.

It is also a sheer stupidity to think that there are 2 million of these "foreign" investors.It is just a handful of them i(if even that many) hiding behind all these foreign sounding names.

You cannot compare second homes on a Spanish costa with foreign investment in London. First, those villas are mostly in rural or coastal areas, away from the bustling cities. Second, they're not pricing out local families, as they have plenty of land and don't have NIMBYs stopping new constructions - the costas are not like Cornwall.

I disagree on this. The people I know that have bought property overseas haven't bought big Costa villas - they've bought small 1/2 bed houses in villages (sub €100K).

The village in the UK where we live is blighted by Londoners doing the same here - buy a small house that, in normal times, a local worker could afford and use it as a holiday home a couple of times a year.

City workers can afford the 100 - 200K for a nice little house to use in the holidays. Local workers earn barely more than minimum wage - they live in caravans or social housing in the towns.

To make the matter worse, when local facilities like nursery school or shops close because of the problem - they get converted in to holiday homes too. As with the boomers that retire here - they don't want to use the local shops they'd rather get a delivery from Tesco or Waitrose.

There can only be a diminishing pool of pensioners buying or already owning foreign property spread over Europe. France, Spain, Cyprus etc.

this new trend of Asian speculator and landlord has the potential to be many times larger than the pensioner 2nd home buying cohort and much much more socially corrosive to the uk as we need the homes here, a 2nd home in Cyprus has barely any effect on uk HPC.

Hordes of Asian landlords being enticed by a government will fully restricting house building at a time of a crisis in terms of supply is a much worse scenario than the expat costa del retiree to the HPC cause.

But surely around 2 million Brits own foreign property all around the world?

What goes around comes around.

Just as much to the point, how many Londoners own property in Cornwall or the Cotswolds, pricing out the locals?

Vote UKIP.

When the trade deficit appeared, i guess.

This, IMO is the main difference between where we and Germany are going. Its not visible yet, its obscured by debt. But in 50 years time, the germans will still be working for themselves, we'll be tenants, working for someone else.

This, IMO is the main difference between where we and Germany are going. Its not visible yet, its obscured by debt. But in 50 years time, the germans will still be working for themselves, we'll be tenants, working for someone else.

In 50 years time most of us will be dead.

This is Cameron's export lead recovery, the only thing we have to sell are houses. The UK economy is housing it underpins GDP growth via imputed rent and if you look at the wealth of the UK, it is housing. Trillions of wealth in piles of bricks.

But if these houses stand idle most of the year and are bought and flipped almost tax-free by foreigners using offshore wrappers then in fact they contribute nothing to the wealth of the UK.

But surely around 2 million Brits own foreign property all around the world?

What goes around comes around.

Just as much to the point, how many Londoners own property in Cornwall or the Cotswolds, pricing out the locals?

Something tells me the British people who can't buy their first home because a foreign investor outbid them aren't the same British people who own second homes in rural Britain or Spain.

Vote UKIP.

Since the Romans.

Then the Normans.

Would Mr Farage like all UK nationals to be forced to sell their overseas retirement properties and come back to live in blighty perhaps?

You mean we'll still be tenants, working for a German Queen/King/King/King.

Since the Romans.

Then the Normans.

Would Mr Farage like all UK nationals to be forced to sell their overseas retirement properties and come back to live in blighty perhaps?

Isnt that what all countries should aspire to? The Norwegians probably own lots of foreign assets but havent had to sell much in return. I know for sure the Saudis are very protective of their country but own vast swathes of the world elsewhere.

Its own or be owned. I feel no shame having a jingoistic attitude towards local over foreign ownership. If you can afford it, do it. Better be the landlord than the tenant.