House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Eggheads

I like watching quiz shows. Not that I'm especially good at them. There are huge gaps in my general knowledge.

So I should like this one. But I can't stand it.

Where to begin..

That music that plays all the way through. It's really, really irritating. It's like it's trying to create some degree of suspense when really there is none.

Jeremy Vine: all the charisma of a damp cardboard box.

"You're playing for something money can't buy - the reputation of the Eggheads" - oh, please.

"Sport questions for Daphne.." (grins) Grrrr...

The questions are of I guess moderate difficulty. I'd say I get between 50% and 60% of them right. But then it is multiple choice anyway. So that's only a bit better than complete guesswork.

When the contestant finally gets it wrong, "Eggheads, do you know?" when there are only two possible answers remaining anyway. Yes, lets rub it in that the contestant got it wrong. At least in The Chase you have a team of contestants up against one man or woman.

As far as the more elitist shows go, you probably can't beat Only Connect where Victoria Coren reminds me of our form head who used to chair the Polymaths. Actually there was quite a funny moment when in the "missing vowels" round last week there were maths related things and partner and I watched thinking "nobody should know the answers to these questions" until one came up and I blurted out (from nowhere, seemingly) "Mandelbrot test!" meaning the look on partners face got turned in my direction as well.

And University Challenge. But then that's meant to be really difficult. I can probably get about six right in an entire show. Therein lies the challenge. You're so chuffed that you actually got one right.

Eggheads doesn't really sit in any of these categories. It's just really annoying. But then perhaps that's just me..

Surely not, what's not to like about creepy CJ and co?

I think University Challenge flatters the contestants as the questions heavily take material from current syllabus for A-level/degree.

In a post-google world knowing a lot of facts seems a whole lot less impressive and a bit redundant almost.

Surely not, what's not to like about creepy CJ and co?

I can't quite put my proverbial finger on it. Creepy is a good word. But there's just something really, well, odd somewhere.

I think University Challenge flatters the contestants as the questions heavily take material from current syllabus for A-level/degree.

If the question begins "Which British composer..." you might as well interrupt straight away. The answer is always Benjamin Britten.

I can't quite put my proverbial finger on it. Creepy is a good word. But there's just something really, well, odd somewhere.

If the question begins "Which British composer..." you might as well interrupt straight away. The answer is always Benjamin Britten.

And "Which former Prime Minister.." BZZZ- <voiceover>"Chester Hairdresser's college, The B.L.T."<\voiceover>. "Benjamin Disraeli". Paxo:"Correct! Here's three questions on newt dermatology..."

I've only seen Eggheads a couple of times but I concur with your view. It seems to be a care in the community type affair, allowing the friends, family and regulars at the pubs the 'heads frequent a few hours away from the tedium of their company.

I used to watch it regularly when I finished work at 5, can't stand CJ and his prissy attitude and feigned exasperation when one of his colleagues answers incorrectly when actually he is probably the weakest Egghead;all are a bit weird and would say Judith, related to the aristocracy and millionaire winner, is the most normal.Would like to see The Chasers take them on.

I used to watch it regularly when I finished work at 5, can't stand CJ and his prissy attitude and feigned exasperation when one of his colleagues answers incorrectly when actually he is probably the weakest Egghead;all are a bit weird and would say Judith, related to the aristocracy and millionaire winner, is the most normal.Would like to see The Chasers take them on.

Each do the others show? Would a chaser beat a team of eggheads?

Have to say this is one of my favourite clips, completely childish but very funny.

And "Which former Prime Minister.." BZZZ- <voiceover>"Chester Hairdresser's college, The B.L.T."<\voiceover>. "Benjamin Disraeli". Paxo:"Correct! Here's three questions on newt dermatology..."

Absolutely. You'd think that the bonuses might in some way be related to the starter question, wouldn't you.. ;)

Each do the others show? Would a chaser beat a team of eggheads?

Have to say this is one of my favourite clips, completely childish but very funny.

Saw that when it was on TV.

There was another episode where the contestant ended up doing the link to the ads as Bradley was in tears of laughter and who then walked back to the contestants' row while Bradley was talking so when he looked back, he'd already vanished. Some really magic moments on that show.

The Chase is great. Shawn's pop culture knowledge is non-existent (says I) and Mark is a bit of a perfectionist who despite being probably the strongest of the Chasers only needs to get a couple of push backs in the final round and falls to pieces quite rapidly.

Chasers vs Eggheads would make for a good show if it were done in The Chase format.