House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Renewed Investor

Log Cabins/houses

A bit far out I know but has anyone considered this? I have no idea what the final cost would be but the actual building itself seems quite cheap relative to traditional housing here in the UK.

Here is one site I was looking at > http://www.mountainlodgehomes.co.uk/#/prices-designs/4546460209

Is this possible in this nation or is it only really suitable elsewhere?

Getting land cor a reasonable cost and then getting planning permission is the eternal problem with this.

If the government were serious (which they aren't) about pushing real self-build, rather than Grand Designs style tosser London architects' vanity projects, they could effectively pre-approve a variety of kit style houses and strip local councils of the autonomy to deny planning based on design, only location.

Getting land cor a reasonable cost and then getting planning permission is the eternal problem with this.

Bingo. It's not the cost of the house that's the problem, it's the cost of the land with permission from bureaucrats to let you build a house there.

Otherwise, I lived a much less grand log cabin for my last couple of years in the UK, and it was OK other than the rabbits running around under the floor at night and the mice in the walls. Sitting inside watching the baby rabbits playing on the grass in the summer was nice.

A bit far out I know but has anyone considered this? I have no idea what the final cost would be but the actual building itself seems quite cheap relative to traditional housing here in the UK.

Here is one site I was looking at > http://www.mountainl...igns/4546460209

Is this possible in this nation or is it only really suitable elsewhere?

They look ok from first glance, don't they. Not sure if some of the designs are good to stand up to UK winds. They suggest as a rough rule of thumb, the cost to construct one of their kits and to fit it out appropriately, is approx twice the kit cost, excluding groundworks, services, and of course not including cost of the land.

Not had any luck finding an example of any sort of house I like the look of, from the mainstream off-site manufacture (or OSM) companies (eg Baufritz, Hanse Haus, Huf Haus or Kampa Haus). All look a bit either too elite, or German suburb-ish, outright ugly, and mostly too big for my requirements, although some would design to your spec no doubt.

Self-build is perhaps the only hope I've got left, if can find a plot as fair value. The crunch is still on for financing on self-builds, so just need something force more landholders to market to find real price discovery. Instead of artificial value hogging land, and those holding market to hostage on price, because of low supply.

24 October 2013 link: http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-24550996

Self-build is a sector being encouraged by the government with tax breaks, despite the fact that those who want to build their own homes often complain of a shortage of land, planning difficulties, and a lack of mortgage products to finance the project.

"With the lack of new homes being built at the moment, you would have thought more lenders would be offering self-build mortgages. Many of the banks and building societies quietly pulled out of the market citing a lack of demand for their mortgages," says Aaron Strutt, of mortgage brokers Trinity Financial.

They dont look that cheap in terms of materials. Bricks and mortar arent really expensive.

I guess these are a lot quicker to build though and labour costs should be low. Ive read of these types of places being built in days rather than months, so labour is probably a few thousand instead of tens of thousands.

Not sure about planning either, your neighbours will probably object with 'not in keeping with the street scene' arguments, unless you invite Grand designs McCloud over to appeal to their pretentious side.

they seem to have trouble shifting these. £80k at auction and another one thats been on at £80k for yonks. A similar property round there with normal build would likely go for twice that. Although I guess its a 'holiday' home officially. (with 11 month occupancy and a £100+ management charge - and housing benefit probably doesnt cover management charges)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-21947853.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41156840.html?premiumA=true