House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Motorbike Licence

OK in a bored moment I looked at the back of my driving licence.

What does all this stuff mean ? I looked on the web and am not the wiser.

Next to the A catagory and a picture of a motorbike it says :

A : Date 1 : Date 2 : 79 (tri), 01

So what does this mean ? Can I immediately go out and ride a huge motorbike ?

There is a catagory :

C1E : Date 1 : Date 2 : 01,107.

There is a big truck beneath it, which I reckon is the HGV (CE). The C1E is a smaller truck, with another truck on the back end of it. Does this mean I can drive a giant truck with a trailer ?

Assuming you passed your test before 1997 they're 'grandfather rights' entitling you to ride a moped and drive a 7.5 ton truck.

Your full ordinary driving licence (motor cars) gives you provisional status to drive vehicles and groups you have not yet passed a test for.

Motorcycle and Group C+E are just 2 examples. Group C means Heavy Goods the + E means a trailer so the old class one artic licence.

Other groups could be group H (tracked vehicles) tanks and road making vehicles for example and buses which have a different set of rules and another test entirely.

Assuming you passed your test before 1997 they're 'grandfather rights' entitling you to ride a moped and drive a 7.5 ton truck.

I dimly remember the truck thing.

but if the A class is for the moped, why is there an AM class that I have entitlement to as well ? Edit the AM class has a pciture of a moped next to it, but the A class has a motorbike.

and isn't the moped included in the fklnpq letters at the bottom ?

Edit note that was not meant to be a swear filter avoidance spelling.

Your full ordinary driving licence (motor cars) gives you provisional status to drive vehicles and groups you have not yet passed a test for.

Motorcycle and Group C+E are just 2 examples. Group C means Heavy Goods the + E means a trailer so the old class one artic licence.

Other groups could be group H (tracked vehicles) tanks and road making vehicles for example and buses which have a different set of rules and another test entirely.

OK, so i understand that. So how would the licence appear different if I did have a full motorbike licence ? Would there be an extra code in the codes section ?

I dimly remember the truck thing.

but if the A class is for the moped, why is there an AM class that I have entitlement to as well ? Edit the AM class has a pciture of a moped next to it, but the A class has a motorbike.

and isn't the moped included in the fklnpq letters at the bottom ?

Edit note that was not meant to be a swear filter avoidance spelling.

AM is - "You can drive 2-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph)." So proper mopeds, not scooters., I don't think I have seen a proper moped for years.

A1 - is from what I can tell the old anything up to 11kW with a valid CBT

A2 - is what used to be the restricted motorcycle license (which you needed a test for)

A - is a full unrestricted motorcycle license.

The 79 is reference to additional restrictions printed on your paper license.

So I think what you have is a very old set of stuff which means you have an A class license with the old restrictions, i.e. you can ride any motorcycle up to 50cc without any further tests, this is not given to any new drivers and hasn't been for some time.

I for example had an unrestricted A license as I have a fully Motorcycle license, so I have the A without the additional 79

As for 107 next to the C1E - That means you are restricted to "not more than 8,250 kilograms"

OK, so i understand that. So how would the licence appear different if I did have a full motorbike licence ? Would there be an extra code in the codes section ?

As I said, but specifically to answer this you would have A the dates and nothing in the last column.

AM is - "You can drive 2-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph)." So proper mopeds, not scooters., I don't think I have seen a proper moped for years.

A1 - is from what I can tell the old anything up to 11kW with a valid CBT

A2 - is what used to be the restricted motorcycle license (which you needed a test for)

A - is a full unrestricted motorcycle license.

The 79 is reference to additional restrictions printed on your paper license.

So I think what you have is a very old set of stuff which means you have an A class license with the old restrictions, i.e. you can ride any motorcycle up to 50cc without any further tests, this is not given to any new drivers and hasn't been for some time.

I for example had an unrestricted A license as I have a fully Motorcycle license, so I have the A without the additional 79

As for 107 next to the C1E - That means you are restricted to "not more than 8,250 kilograms"

Thanks for the explanation.

"So I think what you have is a very old set of stuff..."

That made me feel so much better.

Thanks for the explanation.

"So I think what you have is a very old set of stuff..."

That made me feel so much better.

Haha apologies, I mean that in the best possible way.

When I say old I mean from a driving license evolution point of view, it didn't change for donkeys years and then over the last 10-15 it's changed a number of times, initially with them taking away stuff you got automatically and then adding in additional requirements and tests.

I changed my license last week, updated the address and there was a ton of new stuff added to it.

If it's any consolation I would have the same as you if I hadn't past my motorcycle test.

Haha apologies, I mean that in the best possible way.

When I say old I mean from a driving license evolution point of view, it didn't change for donkeys years and then over the last 10-15 it's changed a number of times, initially with them taking away stuff you got automatically and then adding in additional requirements and tests.

I changed my license last week, updated the address and there was a ton of new stuff added to it.

If it's any consolation I would have the same as you if I hadn't past my motorcycle test.

After taking a lot of sideswipes at the boomers it does me good to get my comeuppance.

I'm actually a marginal boomer myself as you can probably guess from the licence. Kind of like a boomer lite - without a vast mansion and nimby tendencies, although I try my best on the holidays/cruises.

But not at the same time! :huh::blink:

If you could get a car license, you were automatically allowed to ride a "moped" with no experience whatever", at some time! I do not not know the license conditions now! I got the motorcycle license in 1976! Took me a few goes to get he "car" thing! :blink:

If you could get a car license, you were automatically allowed to ride a "moped" with no experience whatever", at some time! I do not not know the license conditions now! I got the motorcycle license in 1976! Took me a few goes to get he "car" thing! :blink:

A motorbike license or an "iron horse" license Mr Pin ?

A motorbike license or an "iron horse" license Mr Pin ?

I was a very much younger "Gentleman" when I went places on a Harley Davidson! And I was always a " gentleman" ;)

The eu rules have changed now and a trike is now classed as a motorbike.

So if you had a car licence before (I think) 2012, you will retain your right to ride a trike, hence you now have an A for a motorbike, but with the restriction of tri(ke only)

If you are a new driver you can't ride a trike without sitting a trike or high powered bike test. Where the robin reliant sits on the new categories I'm not sure!

AM is your moped licence given to car licence holders before feb 2001 (ish)

Source - the little leaflet the DVLA gave me after I got my licence back after my C1 D1 test upgrade which was a disappointment realising I didn't get a free bike license in with the bargain

After taking a lot of sideswipes at the boomers it does me good to get my comeuppance.

I'm actually a marginal boomer myself as you can probably guess from the licence. Kind of like a boomer lite - without a vast mansion and nimby tendencies, although I try my best on the holidays/cruises.

I must say you look extraordinarily well on it, when we met I assumed you were roughly my age, just considerably more driven and successful? :P Sure you're not a Gen-X-er? :P

The rules changed on 1st Jan 1997. I turned 17 in 1996, and having been mad keen on bikes since the age of 12 I was most concerned about getting my full bike licence before then. I passed my practical test in December 96, but because I passed my theory test on 3rd Jan 97 they gave me a shit A1 licence anyway. As it turned out I couldn't afford to buy or insure the fast bike I coveted until my mid 20s, so it was a waste of time. Passed my car test as an afterthought in Feb '97...I'd learned to drive my mum's 2CV in my Grandad's field when I was 13, jumped in it on my 17th birthday and drove us all to school. I only ever had 9h of lessons, but because I passed my car test in Feb '97 I've got nothing interesting.

Passed my bus test in August 2006. Now, IMO ridiculously, I can quite legally drive a 20 ton, 50' long triple axle coach as long as it's an automatic...but I can't drive a manual 16 seater minibus with a MGVW over 3,5T. I am still pretty tempted to get my LGV class 2 manual licence just to correct that imbalance- but even then I might still have the stupidity of not being able to tow a caravan over 750kg unless I take yet another test.... :rolleyes:

My full motorbike licence - yes, I drive a Virago - shows a code A next to the bike.

Most definitions have me as Generation X although I have seem some that have me as a marginal boomer.

I am driven, mostly round in circles.

Edit : I've come to the conlcuison that the whole license thing is a mess. But I suppose the idea of grandfathering rights does lead to stuff like that.

I must say you look extraordinarily well on it, when we met I assumed you were roughly my age, just considerably more driven and successful? :P Sure you're not a Gen-X-er? :P

The rules changed on 1st Jan 1997. I turned 17 in 1996, and having been mad keen on bikes since the age of 12 I was most concerned about getting my full bike licence before then. I passed my practical test in December 96, but because I passed my theory test on 3rd Jan 97 they gave me a shit A1 licence anyway. As it turned out I couldn't afford to buy or insure the fast bike I coveted until my mid 20s, so it was a waste of time. Passed my car test as an afterthought in Feb '97...I'd learned to drive my mum's 2CV in my Grandad's field when I was 13, jumped in it on my 17th birthday and drove us all to school. I only ever had 9h of lessons, but because I passed my car test in Feb '97 I've got nothing interesting.

Passed my bus test in August 2006. Now, IMO ridiculously, I can quite legally drive a 20 ton, 50' long triple axle coach as long as it's an automatic...but I can't drive a manual 16 seater minibus with a MGVW over 3,5T. I am still pretty tempted to get my LGV class 2 manual licence just to correct that imbalance- but even then I might still have the stupidity of not being able to tow a caravan over 750kg unless I take yet another test.... :rolleyes:

My full motorbike licence - yes, I drive a Virago - shows a code A next to the bike.

You are a woman after all, and not just a girlie! :blink:

Yes. But what do you mean by "after all"? :)

Nothing! It's sometimes surprising which ladies have a motorcycle licence!

I too have one, but I am a bloke, so that is no surprise! :blink:

Nothing! It's sometimes surprising which ladies have a motorcycle licence!

I too have one, but I am a bloke, so that is no surprise! :blink:

I rode a bike from age 18, then a gap while bringing up son and took the test (and passed first time) at 50. Nothing like a big, powerful bike between...enough! ;)

I rode a bike from age 18, then a gap while bringing up son and took the test (and passed first time) at 50. Nothing like a big, powerful bike between...enough! ;)

I passed my test at 18! In nineteen burty thring! You need 100 HP between your legs, naughty gran! :huh: