House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stormymonday_2011

Soldiers Court-Martialed For Protest Against Captain And Colour Sergeant

A group of 16 soldiers has been court-martialed for taking part in a sit-down protest during a parade after what they saw as poor management by a captain and colour sergeant.

The group were angry after completing a 16-mile march in full kit across the Brecon Beacons in south Wales to find the pair allegedly sleeping off hangovers instead of greeting them, it was claimed. The men, veterans of Afghanistan, were also angry when a colleague was punished for returning to base three hours late.

While in Kenya, the men took part in the sit-down protest. At the court martial in Bulford, Wiltshire, the men admitted disobeying an order to stand up.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/09/soldiers-court-martialed-protest-hangovers

One suspect there is a bit more to this story than meets the eye since it appears the troops actually opted for a court martial over other possible punishments

It has been treated pretty sotto voce by the press though you can find along thread on the incident here on the Army Rumour forum

http://www.arrse.co.uk/current-affairs-news-analysis/207652-bit-odd-one-group-soldiers-mutinied-over-hungover-bosses-court-told.html

One suspects that army morale not all it might be and that some of those involved might have thought that dishonourable discharge was preferable to yet more mismanagement the risk of dying on a politician's 'vanity wars' or the prospect of being dragooned into the new army reserve post ordinary discharge. The latter which potentially could entail ex soldiers having to spend one year in five after leaving the army on active service would probably be a bigger disincentive to employers than the stain of a dishonourable discharge with no prospect of going on the reserve.

I've always been surprised the forces have seemingly coped on the discipline front given the well known issues in the education system which feeds them. Is a public school voiced office, backed up by a chippy working class corporal, enough to keep the rabble in order these days?

I've always been surprised the forces have seemingly coped on the discipline front given the well known issues in the education system which feeds them. Is a public school voiced office, backed up by a chippy working class corporal, enough to keep the rabble in order these days?

Putting aside all of the class stuff, I think they did it by ensuring that officers and NCOs lead from the front. When the drill sergeant does the exact same exercise as you only quicker and when the officer is awake giving orders for 48 hours without a break then the squaddies will, albeit with a great deal of complaining, accept their lot. When the people in charge act like corporate managers and bunk off, then the whole system falls apart. I'd say that's what's happened here.

Putting aside all of the class stuff, I think they did it by ensuring that officers and NCOs lead from the front. When the drill sergeant does the exact same exercise as you only quicker and when the officer is awake giving orders for 48 hours without a break then the squaddies will, albeit with a great deal of complaining, accept their lot. When the people in charge act like corporate managers and bunk off, then the whole system falls apart. I'd say that's what's happened here.

Think you have nailed it.