House Price Crash Forum

Would You Put The Boot In To Get Your Job Back?

Tonkers

HOLA441

I was terminated last week as posted on here.

Now the Sales guy who set up the London office has asked me to email the companies owners to tell them what really went on, and put the boot in over the managers appalling behaviour. He will back me up - but I have to do it. He wants me to return but it would not be his decision.

Would I be wasting my time and energy? Is he using me to do his dirty work?

HOLA442

Now the Sales guy who set up the London office has asked me to email the companies owners to tell them what really went on, and put the boot in over the managers appalling behaviour. He will back me up - but I have to do it. He wants me to return but it would not be his decision.

You'll be telling the truth and doing the company a favour and furthermore, what have you got to lose?

HOLA443

Putting it in an email is very tricky legally for you. Personally I would not do it.

What I would do is to write down succinct points to clarify my thoughts and have a face to face meeting with him.

Tell him what happened. Explain that you would rather not put it down in writing for legal reasons but will be happy to repeat what you told him face to face to his bosses.

Let him take it to his bosses and await their response.

If you make allegations in writing about others then the others could sue you personally. You would be worse off.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I'd be very careful how you word anything, I know I'd be tempted to really let rip which may not be the appropriate.

However rather than attempting to undermine the manager why not ask the owners why they felt it appropriate to get rid of someone who doubled the revenue and if they support their managers decision to get rid of you.

I'd advise taking the high ground whilst attempting to lead them to the problem. However senior managers tend to clump together and may not be willing to expose one of their own unless they have grudges as it may expose their own flaws.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Putting it in an email is very tricky legally for you. Personally I would not do it.

If you make allegations in writing about others then the others could sue you personally. You would be worse off.

Agreed - don't put it in writing.

Silly question: will you be getting a reference from them?

HOLA448

Don`t do it, apply to work at some of the companies instead? Putting grievances about past employers into electronic media must be the surest way to become unemployable in the future?

Could lead to all sorts of problems and I wouldn't go down that route

Would you want to go back?

I would go as far as to offer to the sales guy that if he makes the first move and gets you an audience with one of the company's owners, you would be happy to attend a face to face meeting with her to learn from her why you were binned. Even in that meeting, I would be very reluctant to 'stick the boot in' anywhere. I would only go as far as to ask why, if I doubled the revenue, did that lead to me being binned...

HOLA449

Now the Sales guy who set up the London office has asked me to email the companies owners to tell them what really went on, and put the boot in over the managers appalling behaviour

/snip

Did he ask you verbally or in an email?

HOLA4410

Tricky one for the reasons already brought up, and I'm going to wimp out of saying what I think is best. There are very good reasons for not doing anything but on the other hand that's exactly how small-minded jerks manage to get to and stay where they are. They should be kicked where it hurts but they usually manage to organise things to kick back. Rather like criminals really, the psycopathic armed robber living next door should be reported to the police and gets away with it because no-one dares, but it's almost certainly not going to do you any good.

HOLA4411

Thank you all very much for this - great advice and a real help not to do anything stoopid.

The sales guy has asked me in writing to do this via Skype.

if I am going to do this it will be in writing but the points above about legal issues and what to avoid is essential, I should refer to my own achievements and merely point him to look for the truth. If that letter looks effective and polite, I will go ahead, if not, walk away.

I have references already and can always refer future employers to the sales guy, however it's still risky. If I really put the boot in, I wouldn't want to hire me.

Not letting her get away with it, well, she has enough rope she is going to crash soon, taking them all down with her.

The ideal scenario is that things being so bad, it blows up and the sales guy lets rip, they fire her and bring me back - the situation playing out without my assistance. Things are never so easy.

I have already taken the risk of letting the biggest client know I would be available to them if they wanted to take things in house. If their numbers go to shit because I left this is a real possibility.

Funny, my first draft before I posted here is now looking vicious indeed! Going in the bin :)

HOLA4412

The sales guy has asked me in writing to do this via Skype

Not quite as potentially incriminating as a full-blown email but getting there. If someone made a suggestion like that to me verbally I'd laugh in their face.

Generally speaking, no-one likes a splitter. If I were ever going to pitch to a business' owners in a situation like this I'd keep things positive.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Why would you do this ? What's in it for YOU. Do you want to return ?

I would want to find a better company to work for unless they were the only company that would employ you. If you find new work with an allied company then in effect, you will have helped your new company's competitor.

Sorry if you have answered these questions

HOLA4415

Is it going to get you your job back?

Do you want to work for them again?

Was there no way of dealing with the issues whilst you were there?

I should be careful, I am being persuaded by the sales guy and my partner... I had walked away and refocused on the new job hunt. Writing this letter has already taken my day and left me depressed. There is a clue here I think ;) I feel like a dog returning to vomit now.

That the issues could not be dealt with while I was there, and that the management allowed to this to happen is a pretty big red flag.

HOLA4416

I should be careful, I am being persuaded by the sales guy and my partner... I had walked away and refocused on the new job hunt. Writing this letter has already taken my day and left me depressed. There is a clue here I think ;) I feel like a dog returning to vomit now.

That the issues could not be dealt with while I was there, and that the management allowed to this to happen is a pretty big red flag.

Quite, let the company fail. Whoever you go on to work for (if it's in the same field) will have less competition therefore making your new job more secure.

As I said - unless you want your job back, I can't see what's in it for you. You're just helping a company who got rid of you.

HOLA4417

Yeah leave it. Move on.

Their problem, not yours.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I'd let it rest, as I said in your previous post, I walked in October this year,I went to the narcissistic manager and handed my notice, he asked me to sit down and talk it over, I knew, with him being a narcissist I wouldn't be able to put my point across in any discussion, it's how they work, so I said to him I didn't want to talk about it and walked out.

The temptation to tell him exactly what I thought of him and the way he was driving the business into the ground and wasting 10's of thousands of pounds was immense, however, since that time I have found out that he was extremely rattled at still not knowing why I walked.

Sometimes, the only way to deal with these people is to play them at their own game, silence speaks volumes, plus you keep your self respect in tact.

HOLA4421

I'd let it rest, as I said in your previous post, I walked in October this year,I went to the narcissistic manager and handed my notice, he asked me to sit down and talk it over, I knew, with him being a narcissist I wouldn't be able to put my point across in any discussion, it's how they work, so I said to him I didn't want to talk about it and walked out.

The temptation to tell him exactly what I thought of him and the way he was driving the business into the ground and wasting 10's of thousands of pounds was immense, however, since that time I have found out that he was extremely rattled at still not knowing why I walked.

Sometimes, the only way to deal with these people is to play them at their own game, silence speaks volumes, plus you keep your self respect in tact.

Lot of respect for this. The more I get hired and fired, the easier it gets to walk.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

It may make you feel better to get it off your chest ? And if you deal in facts only , then i really fail to see how any meaningful legal action could ever come from it.

Cos you have to be able to prove facts and outside the company it may be very hard to do that.

If it helps then feel free to write it all down and then shred it.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Thanks everyone, result: MOVE ON! :) It's their mess now.

Definitely this.

Your other half will always get furious on your behalf - but rarely have the details/longer term perspective. If I'd followed my missus' advice I'd be unemployable by now - cathartic though it was to hear it.

You owe no-one at the company any loyalty - as they showed you none.

Archived