House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Pe Teacher Banned For Three Years

Absolutely typical PE teacher - I thought this was how they trained them! Amazing that he's lost his job over it.

A PE teacher has been barred from teaching after he was found to have bullied and intimidated his pupils.

Paul Green, 39, swore at children and ordered them to do press ups or stand in the rain if he felt they stepped out of line.

He also made one pupil kiss another, threw items across classrooms when he was angry and nicknamed an overweight pupil ‘JCB’.

reen admitted using language towards pupils including: 'ugly', 'big ears', 'p****', and 'poof'.

He addressed one pupil with regard to his weight and made reference to a 'JCB', and restrained the boy against a wall when he went to leave.

On the basis of another pupil's evidence, the panel found that Green would use language such as: 'f***off'', "you're p***ing me off" and 'for f***s sake' while in the classroom.

Professor Draper said: 'Whilst such language was not directed at pupils, it was said in such a way that the whole class could clearly hear what he was saying. Such language is considered to be improper and offensive.'

Green called certain pupils undergoing a bleep test 'pathetic' and 'bone idle', called a pupil a 'lying tart' and, during a rounders match, told a boy he would send him to the Deputy Head's corridor 'with a rounder's bat up his a***.'

The panel found that, on one occasion, Green told Pupil C to kiss Pupil I and, when he refused, applied increased pressure until Pupil C leaned over to kiss Pupil I.

Pupil I refused, 'adding to the humiliation felt by Pupil C and Pupil I's reaction is described as one of shock'.

Professor Draper added: 'Mr Green would, when frustrated or angry, throw items across the class such as scrunched up paper, pens and pencils and, on one occasion, the register. This happened on one or two occasions each week.'

He also 'embarrassed and humiliated' a pupil by putting up a picture of Tina Turner on the white board in the class room and then likening the pupil to her and certain of her characteristics such as her hair, however the panel found that this was not intended to be racially insensitive.

Professor Draper added: 'The Panel heard from three pupils who gave oral evidence, and find, that they were all concerned at the behaviour of Mr Green. Pupil B described Mr Green as 'intimidating'.

Pupil C stated that when Mr Green called him names, it made him feel 'small and unhappy'. Pupil D described Mr Green as 'scary' when in a bad mood which he said would occur two or three times a week.

The poor lambs. If we ever need to fight a proper ground war again we've had it :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2522063/PE-teacher-pupils-kiss-called-overweight-pupil-JCB-children-stand-rain.html

I thought that sort of thing was down as "essential criteria" when recruiting for PE teachers.

Without a bit of beasting, how would anyone get 30 weedy lads out on a muddy cross country run on a rainy February morning?

We had a PE teacher that could 'hoof' a medicine ball. He'd stand in the middle of the gym and get us running around the periphery. He'd then try to 'take us out' - press ups for those who fell.

Other tortures - there were many. We had an adventure course with a lake and a boat that could take about 10 kids. PE teacher would stand astride the middle of the boat and start rocking it until someone took a swim - most seasons.

We had a PE teacher that could 'hoof' a medicine ball. He'd stand in the middle of the gym and get us running around the periphery. He'd then try to 'take us out' - press ups for those who fell.

Other tortures - there were many. We had an adventure course with a lake and a boat that could take about 10 kids. PE teacher would stand astride the middle of the boat and start rocking it until someone took a swim - most seasons.

Ah happy days. I remember how I'd save my pocket money in a tin each week and at the end of the year I'd have enough to buy a house..

::sigh::

Ah happy days. I remember how I'd save my pocket money in a tin each week and at the end of the year I'd have enough to buy a house..

::sigh::

Yep,

the stuff we did eh ?

There was the very occasional sprain, twist or broken bone, but no deaths, although I think even the latter would have just been considered 'unfortunate'.

We also had a fantastic science teacher - did 'big' experiments, one involved sending 10 yr-old kids to the tops of pine trees in the local park to study Torricellis vacuum.

When and why did it all go wrong ?

Absolutely typical PE teacher - I thought this was how they trained them! Amazing that he's lost his job over it.

The poor lambs. If we ever need to fight a proper ground war again we've had it :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2522063/PE-teacher-pupils-kiss-called-overweight-pupil-JCB-children-stand-rain.html

All that would be par for the course at my old school - boys catholic grammar in the 70s.

Board rubber missiles ... being wacked across the hands with a ruler.

A PE teacher slapped me across the face one time just for saying the wrong thing.

Certainly kept you on your toes.

I never know what to think about this nostalgia for the teaching brutality of (some of our) youth, ironic or otherwise.

It wasn't great, but when I look at the whining flabby youths of both genders produced by the current system, maybe it was better than the cotton wool of today.

If (and it's always a big if) the DM story is accurate, then I don't understand why you're defending this guy? He was quite clearly a sadist and crap at his job. A decent PE teacher (such as the one at my lad's school) should be able to motivate pupils, both the talented and the untalented, without being cruel or abusive.

My own PE teacher was a bit of an areshole, though not as bad as this bloke. The result was to put me off organised sport for the rest of my life - surely not the desired outcome?

I never know what to think about this nostalgia for the teaching brutality of (some of our) youth, ironic or otherwise.

It wasn't great, but when I look at the whining flabby youths of both genders produced by the current system, maybe it was better than the cotton wool of today.

Neither is perfect - but at least the old methods got decent results.

There is no excuse for an adult abusing a kid, simple as that. Especially from a teacher! Who is the role model in that relationship? Who sets the example for the kids to follow? When other kids see it is OK and even the norm for the physically strong, or those in a position of power to abuse others what do you think happens:

a) at the lunch breaks

B) when that generation grows up and enters the workplace

It's easy to look back with rose tinted glasses at teaching methods of old and say, "it did me no harm", well maybe it didn't, but I bet there were some kids who were bullied relentlesly by the other kids once the teacher had given the all clear to pick on that child. What damage was done to that impressionable young person? Maybe some of the phyco's in charge today were either the bullied or bullies? Surely its best for society to reduce the number of pycho's it produces?

I find it interesting that recently out of this golden era of childhood in the 60s/70s when children weren't "wrapped in cotton wool", boys were boys, and children grew up to respect authority, that there have been an incredible number of high profile paedophile's come to light who were hidden and even tolerated. Once society endoreses certain types of abuse of kids, is it any wonder others take that as a green light for other forms?

fixed typos

There is no excuse for and adult abusing a kids, simple as that. Especially from a teacher! Who is the role model in that relationship? Who sets the example for the kids to follow? When other kids see it is OK and even the norm for the physically strong, or those in a position of power to abuse others what do you think happens:

a) at the lunch breaks

It's easy to look back with rose tinted glasses at teaching methods of old and say, "it did me no harm", well maybe it didn't, but I bet there were some kids who were bullied relentlesly by the other kids once the teacher had given the all clear to pick on that child. What damage was done to that impressionable young person? Maybe some of the phyco's in charge today were either the bullied or bullies? Surely its best for society to reduce the number of pycho's it produces?

I find it interesting that recently out of this golden era of childhood in the 60s/70s when children weren't "wrapped in cotton wool", boys were boys, and children grew up to respect authority, that there have been an incredible number of high profile paedophile's come to light who were hidden and even tolerated. Once society endoreses certain types of abuse of kids, is it any wonder others take that as a green light for other forms?

+1

I remember so many stories of nutjob or abusive teachers that it would take too long to write down.

I remember at least one who was, IMPO, a sadist and I remember both a swimming teacher and an outdoor pursuits teacher who seemed to revel scaring the bejesus out of kids as young as 6 or 7 - both later spent time at Her Maj's pleasure for child molesting. Sick sadistic f*cks who clearly used their threatening demeanour to intimidate adult and child alike. No doubt kept lots of adults from exposing them for decades.

Save me.... said it all reaply.

There is no excuse for an adult abusing a kid, simple as that. Especially from a teacher! Who is the role model in that relationship? Who sets the example for the kids to follow? When other kids see it is OK and even the norm for the physically strong, or those in a position of power to abuse others what do you think happens:

a) at the lunch breaks

fixed typos

Yes. At my school, we had the drippy feeble teachers and the psycho hard-man teachers - we hated both. The ones we liked were the 'firm but fair' teachers. These ones let you mess around up to a certain point, but then came down hard on you - they didn't swear at you or abuse you, but put you politely and firmly in your place. Play the game and follow the rules and you were respected by them.

It's this middle ground that seems to have been lost in modern teaching.

I sometimes think the supposed "cotton wool" aspect may be somewhat exaggerated by the newspapers.

Last year, one of my lad's friends fell off some recently installed playground equipment, breaking his arm badly enough to require surgery to fit a metal plate in it. The headmaster investigated and decided that it was just an unfortunate accident. He left the equipment as it was; he just told the kids to be more careful in future. The DM and its ilk are, of course, not interested in stories like this.

Yes. At my school, we had the drippy feeble teachers and the psycho hard-man teachers - we hated both. The ones we liked were the 'firm but fair' teachers. These ones let you mess around up to a certain point, but then came down hard on you - they didn't swear at you or abuse you, but put you politely and firmly in your place. Play the game and follow the rules and you were respected by them.

It's this middle ground that seems to have been lost in modern teaching.

I completely agree a drippy feeble teacher is pretty much useless in all but the most elitest schools where the kids are well behaved anyway. Firm but fair is definitely what is needed from a teacher or lets face it, a manager in the workplace (afterall, teachers are really managers of a class of kids). I think there are more teachers than people realise who occupy the middle ground, you just won't find them mentioned in the media or down the pub that's all.

To all the great teachers out there, a huge thank you for doing your best to educate societies kids, not just academically, but in many cases socially too due to poor parenting.

I remember back in secondary school a classmate was knocked to the ground by a PE teacher, who then put his knee on his throat and proceeded to choke him. The teacher never taught again in that school.

Mild sadism has always been the mark of a PE teacher. I'm not sure that forcing kids to kiss each other is ideal though :ph34r:

I remember back in secondary school a classmate was knocked to the ground by a PE teacher, who then put his knee on his throat and proceeded to choke him. The teacher never taught again in that school.

Mild sadism has always been the mark of a PE teacher. I'm not sure that forcing kids to kiss each other is ideal though :ph34r:

Quite, there were elements of the story that would be shocking, calling a large vulnerable kid JCB for example. But good humoured put-downs, so long as they are distributed fairly, are OK in my book and also so long as the teacher already has the respect of the class. Any good teacher should also know who the vulnerable kids with respect to bullying are, and so should not provide any ammunition for them to be singled out for more punishment later on.

In the example I gave with the medicine ball, if you were lazy or 'pratting' about you could expect to be 'taken out' and be doing press ups, but if you were the slowest in the class but trying your best, you'd be fine.

Like most, I certainly had PE teachers which had sadistic tendencies. It did put me off team sports for life, although I enjoy running, walking, cycling and swimming. I was awful at all team sports and anything involving a ball (I simply couldn't coordinate myself to make contact with any ball in useful way). Eventually, most PE teachers realised that despite best efforts on both sides we were both wasting our time and they either let me sit out or go for a run.

No PE teacher ever exhibited all of the behaviour of the example in the OP though. Although they came close at times. I remember them doing an Army style boot camp session in freezing weather which involved crawling through thick mud with them screaming obscenities at us. If you had forgotten your kit, you had to do it in your uniform. I imagine there were a few furious parents that night.

Neither is perfect - but at least the old methods got decent results.

What, large numbers of kids with a lifelong hatred of taking part in any sort of sport? Personally speaking it wasn't the teachers that did that; no matter how good or bad the teacher having to stand around in a freezing field in shorts in the middle of January was enough. To hell with that.

What, large numbers of kids with a lifelong hatred of taking part in any sort of sport? Personally speaking it wasn't the teachers that did that; no matter how good or bad the teacher having to stand around in a freezing field in shorts in the middle of January was enough. To hell with that.

So you reckon today we have LESS kids with a lifetime hatred of sport ? Having a general look around would suggest otherwise. Of course there are many other factors involved so difficult to ever really know for sure.

I don't think sadistic type teachers are a good thing. However the actions of this teacher is question do seem fairly tame compared to what used to go on in many places - and a little weird.

On a personal note my love of sport and pushing myself physically is partly due to similar treatment when young and in the TA. So different people react differently to this sort of thing.

Our schools are too soft - something needs to be done about it - how that is done who knows. Anyone trying to do this is just going to be attacked by the 'all kids just need a cuddle' brigade.

So you reckon today we have LESS kids with a lifetime hatred of sport ? Having a general look around would suggest otherwise. Of course there are many other factors involved so difficult to ever really know for sure.

That's rather going to the opposite extreme. Not bothering to provide the facilities at all isn't going to work any better, although we've probably got fewer kids with an actual hatred of it, they've just got absolutely no interest in it.

Our schools are too soft - something needs to be done about it - how that is done who knows. Anyone trying to do this is just going to be attacked by the 'all kids just need a cuddle' brigade.

Again, opposite extreme. Neither soft pushovers nor bullying idiots are needed or wanted as teachers.