House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
what

Why Is It So Bad To Be Young In The Uk ?

I have currently been living in France for 7 years and am now dreading comming back to the UK.

(Personal reasons)

Do young people in the UK actually have a future, saddled with debt, paying other peoples

pensions and no chance of ever buying a property.

It seems that people are complaining about the current state of the UK and i totally agree.

Why doesn't everyone just move abroad.

My message to all graduates and all young people is to get out of the UK immediately. Move abroad.

You wont regret it if you do and you will actually have a future.

Don't pay for the older generation anymore.

France was awesome and i am sure other countries won't mess you about as much as the UK.

The UK has positive and negative points, as does France, which is not without it's own problems.

I think languages provide a significant barrier to many from the UK venturing into the rest of Europe. The government is well aware of this, and doesn't promote native european languages as much as it could, which is a shame.

btp

Why doesn't everyone just move abroad.

Because moving to another English-speaking country takes quite a while and requires skills, experience and/or money. Blair is lucky that most of Europe speaks other languages or the majority would have left already...

Sorry i don't buy the can't speak language excuse.

I moved to France and couldn't speak a word. Go on a course.

Also there is australia, us and canada as well.

Get your degree then go abroad. YOU KNOW YOU MUST.

Can't emphasise it enough. Your talents are waisted in the UK

Unless you get a temporary work permit, student visa or qualify under one of the provincial programs, Canada is currently a five-year wait for an emigration visa. I believe Australia is a year or so. Both require skills, a degree and several years experience, and Australia is much harder to qualify for than Canada.

America still seems fairly easy if you have the right skills to get a temporary work visa, but then you're waiting years to get a green card unless you marry an American, and you're stuck with the same job until you get it.

Emigrating outside the EU to another English-speaking country is a heck of a lot harder than just buying a ticket and getting on a plane.

I agree, that's why I'm leaving. Unfortunately my application has been sitting in a box at the Canadian embassy for over a year with no end in sight...

Edited by MarkG

Unless you get a temporary work permit, student visa or qualify under one of the provincial programs, Canada is currently a five-year wait for an emigration visa. I believe Australia is a year or so. Both require skills, a degree and several years experience, and Australia is much harder to qualify for than Canada.

If you can get sponsored by a company then its easy to get into Aus.

There is currently major shortages of qualified and skilled people.

Don't want to move abroad because I like it here. Don't have a degree and have always managed perfectly well without one.

By the way, your degree, not in English Language I presume?

By the way, your degree, not in English Language I presume?

I doubt that being able to spell is a requirement for an English degree these days.

Guest Bart of Darkness

I doubt that being able to spell is a requirement for an English degree these days.

:lol:

Sorry i don't buy the can't speak language excuse.

I moved to France and couldn't speak a word. Go on a course.

Quoi, c'est vrai! . Learning the language is not that hard an hour study a day for 6 months, oh and read the news in French rather than HPC every day and you will be fluent enough. Being a native English speaker in any EU country is a big plus, and if you can bring any technical skill, Bobs your uncle..

How would the rest of Europe cope with a rush of 'disenfranchised young people' fleeing this dictatorship?

I speak spanish, but I am ashamed to be British over there.

Personally , i think every country has it's plus and minus points, however, when you move to another country you don;t feel the same way about it. I don;t think the problems of that country bother you as much because you're and immigrant, were as the problem you read about here, this is YOUR country and it really get to you when you read about it.

i know it's not a great analogy but if you where living in Australia and they got beat in the World Cup final you'd feel nothing, but if England get beat in the WCF, you'll be devistated.

I'm 28. Have lived in both France and Sweden for a year but to be honest I love living in the UK. I love where I live, have lots of great friends who aren't into the usual consumerism/rubbish TV/Designer labels etc.

I enjoy my job (at a university), can walk to work in 15 minutes, don't need to drive, rent a nice house, don't have a worry about house repairs and mortgages...

Sometimes it's not where you live but what you do with your life. You can't beat the UK for it's diversity in music, festivals, countryside and things to do in my opinion.

I'm 28. Have lived in both France and Sweden for a year but to be honest I love living in the UK. I love where I live, have lots of great friends who aren't into the usual consumerism/rubbish TV/Designer labels etc.

I enjoy my job (at a university), can walk to work in 15 minutes, don't need to drive, rent a nice house, don't have a worry about house repairs and mortgages...

Sometimes it's not where you live but what you do with your life. You can't beat the UK for it's diversity in music, festivals, countryside and things to do in my opinion.

You've got it right. I've been away 20 odd years and still miss the place/people.

If you're happy and surrounded by friends/family - you're rich :)

I remember older people telling me to take my qualifications abroad at the time I got some, in the early 70's. They told me there was no future in the UK blah blah blah.

Now people on this forum often tell me my generation had it all given to them on a plate in this country in the 70's! :lol:

Edited by Casual Observer

Agreed UK is a dump to live in.

Bad weather.

Lousy overpriced little hovels of property.

Poorly paid under protected jobs

Food and Fuel at sky high prices.

A government that really hates the native Uk people.

My wife and I are looking hard and will leave this hell hole ASAP.

Agreed UK is a dump to live in.

Bad weather.

Lousy overpriced little hovels of property.

Poorly paid under protected jobs

Food and Fuel at sky high prices.

A government that really hates the native Uk people.

My wife and I are looking hard and will leave this hell hole ASAP.

"ooer"........"a government that really hates the native Uk people"

I think out of all the comments on this forum, this is the most sanest, logical, straight to the point one liner I have ever read!

Well done and how so fcking correct you are!!!!

Edited by THOR33

I always reckoned, apart from the generally poor quality of education available (I was lucky, I went to a grammar school) , that the UK is a fantastic place to be in your teens, 20s & early 30s. You don't really give a f**k about the quality of the housing on offer when all your life revolves around is your own pleasure.

Its when you want to settle down & provide for your family but you can't afford to buy a house, if you want to drive any where you get stuck in a jam, you want to be feeding your family good food & not the processed rubbish that fills the supermarkets, then you realise other countries may have more to offer in these departments.

There is too much wistful sentiment on this site. Things won't return to the way they were before, the country has changed too quickly for the worst...

Why stay in a country that constantly takes the piss out of you and your opinions?

Your standard of living has eroded away so quickly, you now accept it as a normal condition. The norm being a position of permanent concern, worry, fear and stress.

You only have ONE life, don't waste it living in a miserable, dirty, overcrowded dump!

I emigrated to Western Australia 15 months ago, and although I haven't got a job (yet!) it's still the best thing I've ever done with my life. My standard of living here is incredible compared to the shell of an existance I had back in the UK.

Yes, house prices are still overpriced and unaffordable over here, but you can rent the most incredible 5 bed house for less than your average UK terraced shithole!

By the way the UK music scene is crap and has been for the past 20 odd years - inhabitated by tedious, derivative, unoriginal bores who demand extortinate amounts of money to view their tame, unispired performances.

You really are 'the flowers in the dustbin'

America still seems fairly easy if you have the right skills to get a temporary work visa, but then you're waiting years to get a green card unless you marry an American, and you're stuck with the same job until you get it.

Emigrating outside the EU to another English-speaking country is a heck of a lot harder than just buying a ticket and getting on a plane.

I agree, that's why I'm leaving. Unfortunately my application has been sitting in a box at the Canadian embassy for over a year with no end in sight...

AUSTRALIA faced a shortfall of 195,000 workers in five years, the Federal Government said today

http://finance.news.com.au/story/0,10166,1...676-462,00.html

Posted elsewhere and clipped for this thread:

Escaped from the UK 8 years ago and living in Cyprus

I like it a lot here, despite the lack of facilities and infrastructure. Got a good job with a German shipowner and make well above average salary for the island. Walk to work from my owned nice flat with communal pool and gym. Looking at building my own house in suburbs for about 120k including the land. Lots of leisure activities here to keep me busy, diving, kitesurfing and such. Downside: I DO get frustrated by the lack of public transport, homicidal driving, lazy cops and mind-numbing bureaucracy in local government. I visit the UK a few times a year and I am always in awe of how organized, orderly and clean the place is when I compare it to here. You have a hard time here even finding a pavement to walk on. I also miss the meritocracy of life in the UK. Here you have to know someone if you expect to find a decent job of even get anything done. Opportunities for decent employment in Cyprus are somewhat limited.

On the plus side, Cyprus is a quiet and safe place to bring up kids, the weather is fantastic and I find that there is always something to do here. I guess living abroad is always going to involve some painful compromises, and maybe that is something most people do not realize when they are planning their escape from the UK. It all comes down to what is important in life for you, and what you are willing to forgo. I personally could not face life in England again (mostly because of the miserable weather, crime and chavs) but I do realize that it has many good points and as a country it offers it's citizens a hell of a lot. I still have not quite figured out what my taxes buy me here, but in the UK you get - good education - health care - decent roads - relatively good police force - etc etc. But, when the sun is shining and I am heading for the beach after a day in the office, or sitting on my verandah on a sunny November afternoon drinking good local beer, the negative aspects of living here seem to fade and the thought of ever living in England again scares and depresses me.

Just my thoughts.

I personally could not face life in England again (mostly because of the miserable weather, crime and chavs) but I do realize that it has many good points and as a country it offers it's citizens a hell of a lot. I still have not quite figured out what my taxes buy me here, but in the UK you get - good education - health care - decent roads - relatively good police force

Good education - health care - decent roads - relatively good police force?

Are we talking about the same country here, maybe you've just been in the sun a little too long today <_<