House Price Crash Forum

House Price Forecast, Whitby Area

HOLA441

Hi,

Ok, the back story is that whitby is my home town but have lived and worked dahhhn sarf for a long time. I've now got , hopefully, the chance of relocating back, with a job in Teesside. I have the opportunity to stay with rellies for the medium term. So from this, I call on the hpc massive as to should I buy straight away or is the probability that prices will fall in the area, given the usual of gov. Policies, employment (or lack thereof) in the area?

Following on from this, it seems that the nice villages north of whitby, which would make the commute easier are relatively expensive, I guess that this is because of the commuting distance to 'boro. Those who know the area, is this a fair assessment?

Cheers

Jc

HOLA442
HOLA443

Why worry? If you've been living dahhhn sarf for a long time you've stoked up enough money or house equity to buy the whole of Whitby.

More seriously though, if you go too far up the coast from Whitby you get to Redcar, which isn't pretty, as no doubt you already know. Equally, you don't want to live with the smog gobblers in M/boro. When my lad was working up there Yarm (inland) was supposedly the place to be. He got a cheap rented property in Egglescliff just outside, but the ladder goes all the way to fancy houses if you've got the dosh.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA444

Well, I would not live in 'boro. Most people who were born there leave it ASAP - Nunthorpe, Guisborough are popular.

You can commute to 'boro from Whitby but the moor road can be slow + icy.

You might want to try the top end of the Esk valley - Dnaby Castleon. But these places are pretty quite and rural.

There's Stokesly, Northalleron or top end of the dales too.

My brother and SIL -who commutes to 'boro - live RIchmond way.

'boro's problem is the following:

All big towns have a scum element - 16 yo crack prozzies, professional house burglars, misc. pains in the **** .etc.

In most towns and cites the percentage of scum rarely goes above 5%. ~3% is about average.

In 'boro the scum element is about 30%.

And thats the core of 'boros problems - a very high number of total scum.

Its not imporving either.

Despite a large drop off in population, the town is filling with basically asylum scum from the four corners of the world - well the middle east and South Asian.

Note - this opinion comes mainly from people I know from 'boro.

HOLA445

Thanks for the advice. Job wasn't for me at all and would be bored to death within a couple of months, so all academic now.

Did look up the valley for possibilities but all way too pricy. I know on hear that London prices are seen as mad, but live in what must be the cheapest part and could not afford the move either.

Best jc

HOLA446

Just stumbled on this site from another thread:

YO22 property history

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_report.htm?location=yo22&all=1

Look at the number of sales; prices are N/A

The peaks of the last few years were the equivalent to the troughs of 10 years ago!

2 houses + 2 flats sold in sep 2013 - the peak selling month.

That will have chucked off about 15K of fees.

I make that about 0.3 houses per EA office.

Most alarming figure is the volumes are still falling!

HOLA447

Just stumbled on this site from another thread:

YO22 property history

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_report.htm?location=yo22&all=1

Look at the number of sales; prices are N/A

The peaks of the last few years were the equivalent to the troughs of 10 years ago!

2 houses + 2 flats sold in sep 2013 - the peak selling month.

That will have chucked off about 15K of fees.

I make that about 0.3 houses per EA office.

Most alarming figure is the volumes are still falling!

Oops:

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_report.htm?location=yo21&all=1

Still not good.