House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
barney4001

Solicitors Costs On Buying And Selling Property In Nr Ireland

about 5 years ago my son sold a bungalow £170,000 and bought a semi detached house £160,000 ,I just seen the solicitors bill to him for his services £9,780

, I told him this charge was very excessive for the work that was done, I am thinking of going to the law society over those charges as they seem to be away over the top

for the work done by solicitor.my son lives in Nr Ireland

I suspect the bill includes stamp duty on the new house?

Stamp duty at that level would only be about 1% I think?

Buying and selling fees usually seem to be around £750, including searches etc. def enquire a bit further!

Stamp duty at that level would only be about 1% I think?

Buying and selling fees usually seem to be around £750, including searches etc. def enquire a bit further!

Many were still charging percentage fees in 2007.

Still a shocking bill unless they were told about it in advance.

Edited by 2buyornot2buy

It seams expensive unless there was alot of work in regards to the title. He would only have paid STLT on the house he purchased.

In my view you should not skimp on the legals and if you pay only a couple of hundred then you are not getting a good job done.

It seams expensive unless there was alot of work in regards to the title. He would only have paid STLT on the house he purchased.

In my view you should not skimp on the legals and if you pay only a couple of hundred then you are not getting a good job done.

Sort of agree except for the fact all went to the same institute and all are covered by professional indemnity insurance.

about 5 years ago my son sold a bungalow £170,000 and bought a semi detached house £160,000 ,I just seen the solicitors bill to him for his services £9,780

, I told him this charge was very excessive for the work that was done, I am thinking of going to the law society over those charges as they seem to be away over the top

for the work done by solicitor.my son lives in Nr Ireland

Extortionate fees, even factoring in stamp Duty. sale fees on 170k house should be 850-950 all in including vat.

Purchase fees similar plus stamp.

5 years is long time to be now taking a case.

He should have been provided with an estimate of fees upfront.

You can only go to the law society after you've been through the Solicitor's own complaints procedure.

In my opinion it is unlikely you'll get anywhere with them.

Extortionate fees, even factoring in stamp Duty. sale fees on 170k house should be 850-950 all in including vat.

Purchase fees similar plus stamp.

5 years is long time to be now taking a case.

He should have been provided with an estimate of fees upfront.

You can only go to the law society after you've been through the Solicitor's own complaints procedure.

In my opinion it is unlikely you'll get anywhere with them.

i am going to solicitors in the morning to get deeds of house from them and I will hand a copy of the bill my son paid solicitors took money from sale of house my son had sold

I do remember a girl who worked there at the time as she was married to my nephew saying to me the costs would be around £5,200 and it was a bargain price ,but she has left the office now and I do not know just how long ago she left there ,anyway I am going to report this to the law society when I get deeds ,

I do remember a girl who worked there at the time as she was married to my nephew saying to me the costs would be around £5,200 and it was a bargain price ,but she has left the office now and I do not know just how long ago she left there ,anyway I am going to report this to the law society when I get deeds ,

You have to raise the complaint with a senior partner first. The LS most likely will not deal with your complaint until you go through the in-house complaints procedure.

Property pal have added a "legal fees estimator" which may give a 'ball park figure' for a smooth transaction (options for both buying and selling) alongside each property details.

Appears to be Armstrong solicitors touting for business

Solicitorpal.com??

i can recommend a belfast solicitor who i used , very happy with them and felt costs were reasonable.Costs were agreed on at the start. If anyone is ever interested PM me for the name , contact them and they should give a total price for your purchase/sale in advance. very professional , I was very happy using them for my house purchase.