House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

For Elite Nostalgics

Great trailer. Just read this - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-09-a-future-that-has-a-history-introducing-no-mans-sky - and I really hope they can pull it off.

I took a look at that earlier--it was at the top of the search results when I typed the game's name.

The only slight concern for me is the perpetual conflict between the potential for a deeply engaging and immersive virtual world and its being massively multiplayer. In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience, you only get the possibility of the former when you don't have the latter.

The developers seem to be inspired by classic sci-fi, but, when you're reading Heinlein or whoever, there are no griefing yoofs roflstomping through and ruining the atmos.

If there's a way to play this game single player (as I thought I'd read that there is with Elite Dangerous), then I might find that less off-putting.

Not liking the look of Elite Dangerous then?

I've no idea why it's taken so long for an Elite-style game to come out. An open world, massively-multiplayer version of Elite would just be amazing. And the technology is there today to do it.

Graphics looked dated to me ....by a decade ?

Grapics depend entirely on scale. It's easy to make an 'arena'-style game with AAA graphics, but a entire universe not so much. Anyway, I'd take gameplay over graphics any day.

It's only black in reality. :D

Actually, I remember a cosmonaut saying he used to go to the dark side of Mir and turn off the lights, and the sky would turn grey because he could finally see all the stars.

I've no idea why it's taken so long for an Elite-style game to come out. An open world, massively-multiplayer version of Elite would just be amazing. And the technology is there today to do it.

Eve is 10 years old

It's only black in reality. :D

Probably try to justify it under the "rule of cool" nonsense but it just kills suspension because colourful space just looks so bloody stupid. Come to think of it it seemed rather orange in that video, was it written by someone whose only views of the night sky have been from a city centre?

Eve is 10 years old

I played Eve when it first started. It's not the same as Elite or even in the same genre. I'm talking about a game where you have direct control of your ship in a 3d world etc etc - not a point and click spreadsheet-type game.

I played Eve when it first started. It's not the same as Elite or even in the same genre. I'm talking about a game where you have direct control of your ship in a 3d world etc etc - not a point and click spreadsheet-type game.

The only thing really like the original have been clones and conversions of it. The Frontier games, whilst nominally Elite sequels, felt like a different universe (even with quite a few of the same ships), although they were unarguably the same genre. Apart from that I'm not really aware of anything at all in the same genre. Getting a convincing procedurally generated universe that doesn't rapidly become repetitive and everything feels "genuine" (not really sure how to describe what I mean there) is a huge challenge, I'll be very interested to see how this one stands up. For example is it lots of variations of the same thing or can it really produce unique-looking worlds? Just as long as the colourful space goes...

Freelancer..

The only slight concern for me is the perpetual conflict between the potential for a deeply engaging and immersive virtual world and its being massively multiplayer. In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience, you only get the possibility of the former when you don't have the latter.

By many accounts Journey did a successful job of managing that juggling act by limiting the number of players (I've yet to play it - sat on my shelf). That was a smaller game, and I'm sure improvements can be made, but I think the possibilities are wide open.