House Price Crash Forum

Teenage Girl, 18, Racks Up £1,158 Phone Bill Voting 2,316 Times For Emmerdale Star To Win I'm A Celebrity

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2520690/Teen-racked-1-158-phone-voting-Lucy-Pargeter-Im-A-Celebrity.html

A teenage I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here fan has been hit with a £1,158 phone bill after voting for her favourite star Lucy Pargeter more than 2,000 times.

The the horror of her mother, superfan Nicole Hassall, 18, racked up the huge bill in just six hours as she bid to keep her idol in the jungle.

The teenager made a staggering 2,316 calls to the ITV show’s 50p premium rate number in support of the Emmerdale star - unaware her phone bill would sky-rocket as a result.

A spokesman added: 'We sympathise with Ms Hassall and have offered a 50 per cent reduction on her bill as a gesture of goodwill.

'To help customers avoid high charges from voting lines we terminated each of the calls after six seconds.

Clearly we need more like this teenager to boost the economy. Totally useless with basic maths and has no idea what she's doing. All the skills needed to be a banker.

Although clearly there should be something in place with phone companies that stop such ridiculously high bills being generated.

However you do wonder how clueless she could really have been don't Ant&Dec repeatedly tell you how much each call will cost?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I heard a story pre mainstream internet days, where a dodgy company set up premium rate lines and they got people they knew to ring up from empty/broken into houses and left the phone to ring for hours on end, dodgy company got their huge commision before anyone found out (must of been the early days before BT became wise to it all).

HOLA449

Then she poses like a dildo with the phone :lol:. In my day you would have been so black and blue from the back of your Dad`s hand that no paper would have even photographed you.

Had some individual in the DM the other day who 'paid 450 pound for a photo of a playstation 4'

looked at his twitter for the hell of it. Several dozen tweets of screenshots of his new found fame and scans of papers.

These people just want to get their mugs in the paper as far as I can tell. Maybe a few really are this dumb, but most seem to be narcissists and plan it all along.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I heard a story pre mainstream internet days, where a dodgy company set up premium rate lines and they got people they knew to ring up from empty/broken into houses and left the phone to ring for hours on end, dodgy company got their huge commision before anyone found out (must of been the early days before BT became wise to it all).

Thanks, as I heard it, to customers being billed quarterly and premium rate number operators being paid monthly.

You wouldn't even need to break into anywhere. Install half a dozen phones at one end of the room and phone up another half dozen at the other end.

HOLA4412

Had some individual in the DM the other day who 'paid 450 pound for a photo of a playstation 4'

looked at his twitter for the hell of it. Several dozen tweets of screenshots of his new found fame and scans of papers.

These people just want to get their mugs in the paper as far as I can tell. Maybe a few really are this dumb, but most seem to be narcissists and plan it all along.

Exactly, that is all it is, the paper will pay the phone bill now and give them something on top. Sheeple think being in the paper mugging into their phone means they have "made it" :lol:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Surprised they ran with it. All a bit last century premium phone lines. I thought the new whine was having moronically given your kids your apple app store password it turns out they've dropped a grand of your hard earned on Smurfberries or something.

HOLA4416

So the daughter has a contract smart phone in her mother's name? 4 letters: PAYG

I got my 15 year old daughter a contract smart phone and specifically requested the phone company to limit her monthly bill to £35 per month.

i.e. just the contract texts and monthly minutes.

Overseas calls and premium numbers were barred...including voting lines.

HOLA4417

Surprised they ran with it. All a bit last century premium phone lines. I thought the new whine was having moronically given your kids your apple app store password it turns out they've dropped a grand of your hard earned on Smurfberries or something.

Don't remind me... :(

HOLA4418

I got my 15 year old daughter a contract smart phone and specifically requested the phone company to limit her monthly bill to £35 per month.

i.e. just the contract texts and monthly minutes.

Overseas calls and premium numbers were barred...including voting lines.

You blow £35 a month on your 15 year old's phone? You must be very rich or very stupid.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

You blow £35 a month on your 15 year old's phone? You must be very rich or very stupid.

All very well, but no parent wants their kid to be the only one not to have something, no matter what their private thoughts are. Life can be hard enough at 15 anyway, bullies and general insecurities, and some girls can be very cruel.

I am very glad my kids grew up before mobiles were just another expensive must-have. When my elder went to uni. In 95 just one girl on her floor in hall had a mobile, and they still refer to that girl as Sarah Mobile.

By the time my younger went 4 years later, just about everybody had one.

HOLA4422

Archived