House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
or in excess of

Landlords And Universal Credit

Sky are running a story that says the number of Landlords accepting tenants on UC, has halved since its implementation. Also, it is alleged that full implementation of UC has been kicked further down the road for the third time. It will not be until sometime after 2017 now. Furthermore, it has been suggested that this news was released at the same time as the Autumn Statement, in the hope it would not be noticed too much. Could be interesting to watch IDS today in front of Select Committee.

Sky are running a story that says the number of Landlords accepting tenants on UC, has halved since its implementation. Also, it is alleged that full implementation of UC has been kicked further down the road for the third time. It will not be until sometime after 2017 now. Furthermore, it has been suggested that this news was released at the same time as the Autumn Statement, in the hope it would not be noticed too much. Could be interesting to watch IDS today in front of Select Committee.

Do they mention how many of the properties are now lying empty ?

So how many have been moved onto UC ?

The taxpayer pays something like 40% of the rent in the private sector via HB so where have the other 20% gone ?

I smell a rat called blackmail

Edited by long time lurking

It is a shame. Maybe if they cant make any money in houses they will sell up and invest there money in business that makes things and employees more people.

This is probably the reason why at the moment they don't encourage direct payments to landlords in the LHA system. If they were to make it so, then the number of properties available to those on benefits would shrink (at the same time landlords would be shooting themselves in the foot as so many households now get some amount of LHA, so picky landlords would have to be far less picky).

I suppose it could mean that under UC, all those landlords who don't want benefit claimants as tenants would have much less choice as so much of the population will be on UC.

Looks like Landlords can choose between taking those on benefits and not getting their rent, or not having a tenant. Win Win, for HPC that is :lol:. Sky all over this mess now.

^This

I love the notion that landlords can pick tenants like picking fruit from a tree bursting with choice :lol: The thing is probably not many landlords believe this now, it is just that the media can`t let go the Owning to rent = Good meme, maybe because so many of them are locked into it? There is going to be so much cheap ex-rental kicking around over the next few years that HPC`ers will be spoiled for choice, but does anyone want it at any price, that is the question?

Edited by dances with sheeple

I love the notion that landlords can pick tenants like picking fruit from a tree bursting with choice :lol: The thing is probably not many landlords believe this now, it is just that the media can`t let go the Owning to rent = Good meme, maybe because so many of them are locked into it? There is going to be so much cheap ex-rental kicking around over the next few years that HPC`ers will be spoiled for choice, but does anyone want it at any price, that is the question?

This will be the landlords dilemma under UC/direct payments. If they insist on direct payments then they will know how many tenants are actually claiming benefits and whether they can afford not to take benefit claimants. As it stands lots of households who entered a tenancy providing information about how they will pay the rent from salary do not currently need to tell the landlord if they lose their jobs and claim LHA or claim some amount of LHA to top up their salary. Direct payments will make it clear exactly how many more tenants are dependent to some degree on LHA. If landlords reject all those that claim any amount of LHA, they will have a much smaller pool of tenants to choose from, even in London.

This will be the landlords dilemma under UC/direct payments. If they insist on direct payments then they will know how many tenants are actually claiming benefits and whether they can afford not to take benefit claimants. As it stands lots of households who entered a tenancy providing information about how they will pay the rent from salary do not currently need to tell the landlord if they lose their jobs and claim LHA or claim some amount of LHA to top up their salary. Direct payments will make it clear exactly how many more tenants are dependent to some degree on LHA. If landlords reject all those that claim any amount of LHA, they will have a much smaller pool of tenants to choose from, even in London.

I don`t think this is an option for them any more, government has made it`s decision? They are like the BTL`ers "insisting" that Building Societies don`t increase the interest rate on their debts, not much chance of being listened to?

Sky just saying that some lenders are now declining applications for BTL mortgages if "the DWP will be making the rental contributions"

Surely that is a very significant sea change? I thought landlords used to base their business plans on HB levels?

Edited by dances with sheeple

Sky just saying that some lenders are now declining applications for BTL mortgages if "the DWP will be making the rental contributions"

Surely that is a very significant sea change? I thought landlords used to base their business plans on HB levels?

I saw that too! Very significant change. But as for business plans, it seems many of them have "planned" for interest rates to remain low.

The ones working with HB recipients will be professional BTL'ers.

My experience is that they're way ahead on the lending curve and usually have access to funding for large deposits so they get the very best rates.

A relative was doing amateur BTL - had a tenant that went on to HB (paid direct to tenant) they had to get eviction after a couple of months from non-payment.

A pro BTL'er I know was struggling with first paid direct to tenant situation - but he's managed to get payment made direct to him again now.

Expecting everyone to pay the money on to LL is never going to work.

A pro BTL'er I know was struggling with first paid direct to tenant situation - but he's managed to get payment made direct to him again now.

But hasn't the tenant now captured the BTL'er?

I mean, what added value has the 'paid direct tenant' now got compared to anyone else, won't this keep rents down?

But hasn't the tenant now captured the BTL'er?

I mean, what added value has the 'paid direct tenant' now got compared to anyone else, won't this keep rents down?

The BTLer got the council to start paying direct to LL again I understand.

One was missing payments, another tenant pissed the 13th payment up a wall because they thought they'd scored an over-payment, they didn't know it was payment every 4 weeks - not every month.

I saw that too! Very significant change. But as for business plans, it seems many of them have "planned" for interest rates to remain low.

So looks like their plans are doubly f*ucked then, rates moving up, HB moving down, tenants moving out :lol:

My experience is that they're way ahead on the lending curve and usually have access to funding for large deposits so they get the very best rates.

A relative was doing amateur BTL - had a tenant that went on to HB (paid direct to tenant) they had to get eviction after a couple of months from non-payment.

Expecting everyone to pay the money on to LL is never going to work.

But banks are saying they won`t give mortgages to people to let out houses to those on benefits any more, so margin calls on those that already do will be next?

In the autumn statement Osborne declared his intention to apply a monetary cap to spending on all benefits apart from JSA and the State Pension if the Tories get re-elected. Despite the protestations from Labour to the contrary I think they are going to do something similar if they get back in power. This means any BTL landlord relying on HB rentals has had his cards marked. The lenders also can clearly see what is coming down the road. A lot of amateur hour landlords are going to get taken out when this happens.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

The BTLer got the council to start paying direct to LL again I understand.

One was missing payments, another tenant pissed the 13th payment up a wall because they thought they'd scored an over-payment, they didn't know it was payment every 4 weeks - not every month.

IIRC there must be 8 weeks of missed payments before a LL can apply for direct payment which normally takes another month and the LL has to chase the tenant for the missed payments

Well according to the 10 o'clock news there are a grand total of 2150 now on UC ,so on that assumption half of all LL are cutting their nose off to spite their face ? or just fecking lying

Ironically the higher rents get, the more households will need to be topped up by LHA. If 50% of households get LHA BTL gets much riskier. Either they get the rent paid directly to themselves (and have to deal with the possibility that the tenant was not entitled to it and then have to pay it all back - the landlord, not the tenant) or the tenant gets the LHA and doesn't pass it on to the landlord. Perhaps it is time for landlords to get a bit of their own taste of instability and never knowing when your next welfare payment is coming mad.gif.