House Price Crash Forum
Sancho Panza

Uk's First 'social Supermarket' Opens To Help Fight Food Poverty

Guardian9/12/13

'Britain's first "social supermarket" opens its doors on Monday, offering shoppers on the verge of food poverty the chance to buy food and drink for up to 70% less than normal high-street prices.If successful, the Community Shop, in Goldthorpe, near Barnsley, south Yorkshire, which is backed by large retailers and supermarkets, could be replicated elsewhere in Britain.

Community Shop is a subsidiary of Company Shop, Britain's largest commercial re-distributor of surplus food and goods, which works with retailers and manufacturers to tackle their surpluses sustainably and securely.

It sells on residual products, such as those with damaged packaging or incorrect labelling, to membership-only staff shops in factories. The new project goes one step further, located in the community for the first time and also matching surplus food with social need.'

This country is a mess.

Them at the top fiddle while we burn.

I've said this before but as far as I can see Osborne's solution to the problems caused by the bankers is to make everything as expensive as houses were ion 2007 ( including houses ) so the bankers balance sheets look solvent.....bankrupting the rest of us in the process.

Something has got to give...soon.

More divide and conquer policy backed by the 1% - surprise.

Personally not that bothered unless it extends out to claimants getting a 70% discount on everything (makes £100 benefit per week worth almost 3.5 times as much). Must be a pretty crap life to have to visit places like this anyway.

To think just over ten years ago you could buy a house there for a couple of grand. These houses are eligible for benefit of nearly £5000 a year now.

My old dad said, when thatcher came to power, that soup kitchen's would return and the working man enslaved.

I used to think he was as daft as a brush...now I'm not so sure. He was definitely 20 years out, but his prediction is coming true.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

My old dad said, when thatcher came to power, that soup kitchen's would return and the working man enslaved.

I used to think he was as daft as a brush...now I'm not so sure. He was definitely 20 years out, but his prediction is coming true.

Would Thatcher have bailed out the banks? Forget anything else, just answer that question to yourself.

Would Thatcher have bailed out the banks? Forget anything else, just answer that question to yourself.

I believe any P.M. that had resided over the banking system while they were being allowed to do what they did would bail them out.

Any decent P.M. would have nipped it in the bud in the first place.

I believe any P.M. that had resided over the banking system while they were being allowed to do what they did would bail them out.

Unless they were trying to win an "historic third term in office"

djmgw

As opposed to Thatcher's Big Bang city deregulation on 27 October 1986?

Is it really "food poverty", or just plain old "poverty"? I bet the proportion of income they spend on food is much less than they spend on accommodation and servicing debt. Still, everybody knows that high and rising accommodation costs and debt levels are good for the economy, George said so.

Is it really "food poverty", or just plain old "poverty"?

It'll just be food poverty, they'll all be I/O mortgage owners of £500K of potential property wealth which will eventually come good.

Thatcher came to power in 1979, so 34 years ago...

Company Shop is already bailing out private business and the likes of NHS staff.

There can be some good bargain's found in the shop but to gain access you need to be either a private business owner or work for something like the NHS.

Sounds like they are going to try and open up the business to everyone.

Thatcher came to power in 1979, so 34 years ago...

There would have been plenty of soup kitchens in mining communities under Thatcher? However, until the sheeple get their heads round the nature of money, interest rates, how to manage money etc, there will always be people just borrowing borrowing borrowing, even at 1000% interest? (at that level there is no real consequence, unless physical threats are being used, because people know they ain`t paying it back)

There would have been plenty of soup kitchens in mining communities under Thatcher? However, until the sheeple get their heads round the nature of money, interest rates, how to manage money etc, there will always be people just borrowing borrowing borrowing, even at 1000% interest? (at that level there is no real consequence, unless physical threats are being used, because people know they ain`t paying it back)

There've been soup kitchens before Thatcher; what's the point?

I remember the mess that was happening under Callaghan. Had he won the 79 election imo we'd have been worse off than we are now in less than a full term. Despite what the right wingers might say, dyed in the wool labour voters are not, for the most part, dumb. They were seeing the damage that the uncontrolled rise of militant was doing and resigned themselves to a change of government.

Whatever people want to blame Thatcher for, it was the circumstances leading up to the '79 election that got her into power. By the same token, the tory sleaze gave Blair his '97 victory with a campaign based on 'say nothing and smile'.

Would Thatcher have bailed out the banks? Forget anything else, just answer that question to yourself

In theory no- she would have rejected bank bailouts as a violation of free market principles.

In reality she would have done exactly what Brown and Darling did and bailed them out- principles are one thing- tory supporters losing their wealth another.

Thatcher founded the centre for policy studies- and I don't think they came out against the bank bailouts- nor have they attacked 'help to buy'- despite their claim to be supporters of free markets.

To be fair it's entirely consistent for those whose principles are founded on the idea of self interest to abandon those principles when it's in their self interest to do so.

As Bush explained; “I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system” :lol:

Wonga should have a concession there so these deadbeats can borrow money to buy their stuff.

Deadbeats? Proud working people until Thatcher destroyed the coal mining industry and the community along with it.