House Price Crash Forum
Sancho Panza

Stop Complaining About Immigrants And Find A Job Of Your Own, Former M&s Boss Says

Telegraph 9/12/13

'High street veteran Sir Stuart Rose has told people complaining about immigrants coming to work in Britain to go out and find a job of their own. The former Marks & Spencer chief executive said it was not the fault of Bulgarians or Romanians or any other nationality if they were prepared to work hard for less money than Britons would like.

He told Sky News: "I'm a free market economist, we operate in a free market. If these people want to come here, and work the hours they are prepared to work for the wages they are prepared to work for, then so be it.'

Just for clarity,I presume he's referring to the 'free market' that kept RBS and HBOS afloat when they were about to give up the ghost.

He must be suffering from early onset dementia. Clearly has zero grasp of basic economics.

On the other side it is inevitable that "relatively soon" the wages of the Western EU will be matched by wages outside of the Western EU, because of the unstoppable globalisation. You can not pay British labour much more than others in the global economy if they do not provide something special. What they do not provide anymore.

So getting the cheap immigration in will get you ready for the next phase of the global competition.

They never get to the part where not enough people can afford to shop in their stores.

I think they still believe they can simply put up the margins to cover these losses, how long for?

Read as: I think this can be read as Immigrantion is great for our business and therefore for me.....suck it up.

It's a bit like The BoE chap saying....Low interest rates is great for savers ( read as...suck it up )......NOT IT'S BLOODY NOT.

As a big business you can bet away with allsorts when employing migrant labour (directly or indirectly), or think you can.

Migrants & Slaves?

2 Sisters workers sacked in race insult row protest outside M&S in Marble Arch to call on Sir Stuart Rose to personally intervene

http://archive.unitetheunion.org/news__events/archived_news_releases/2009_archived_press_releases/2_sisters_workers_sacked_in_ra.aspx

27th October 2009

When: Wednesday 28th October, 12.00PM

Where: Marble Arch M&S, 458 Oxford Street, London, W1C 1AP

Workers at 2 Sisters, sacked for challenging racism in the workplace, will travel from Birmingham to London today to protest outside the M&S flagship store in Marble Arch (tomorrow).

The workers will hand in a letter to M&S CEO Sir Stuart Rose calling on him to personally intervene to pressure the supplier to re-instate the workers.

http://archive.unitetheunion.org/news__events/archived_news_releases/2009_archived_press_releases/2_sisters_workers_sacked_in_ra.aspx

The decision to commence a campaign of demonstrations outside M&S, a major client of 2 Sisters, follows the failure of M&S at the highest level to intervene. After the protest the workers will head to the M&S head office to hand in a letter for the attention of Sir Stuart Rose.

The 59 sackings followed an incident at a 2 Sisters factory in Birmingham employing overwhelmingly migrant workers, when a shop steward was abused by a security guard who called him a “P*ki b*stard”.

The shop steward was then disciplined, but no action was taken against the security guard. The disciplined shop steward appealed and his appeal was turned down. The plant convenor went to his aid and was suspended. 54 workers then stopped work and five shop stewards acted immediately to get them to resume production. The five shop stewards were then suspended and subsequently sacked, together with the 54 workers.

In the letter to Sir Stuart Rose the five sacked union representatives write: "The reason why 59 of us were sacked is because our management failed to act when one of us was racially abused by a security guard … M&S asked our union, Unite, to join with 2 Sisters in promoting a future of “Ethical Model Factories”. We agreed. Now 2 Sisters sack us and you wash hands of responsibility. Finally, Sir Stuart, we are told you are a man of honour. Please meet with us and help us to get our jobs back. Please do not turn your back on those treated badly by a company that supplies your stores."

On the other side it is inevitable that "relatively soon" the wages of the Western EU will be matched by wages outside of the Western EU, because of the unstoppable globalisation.

Wage equilibration would be fine if the government and Bank of England would allow the cost of living to fall at the same time.

On the other side it is inevitable that "relatively soon" the wages of the Western EU will be matched by wages outside of the Western EU, because of the unstoppable globalisation. You can not pay British labour much more than others in the global economy if they do not provide something special. What they do not provide anymore.

So getting the cheap immigration in will get you ready for the next phase of the global competition.

Why is globalisation 'unstoppable'?

The last time we had this level of globalisation was 1914. People said it was clearly unstoppable then. It stopped.

HTB will soon mean a wage top up to meet the new lending required to find a place to live....

Free labour for pig companies, paid by the taxpayer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/02/27/sir-stuart-rose-right-to-work-work-experience-chris-grayling_n_1303203.html

Sir Stuart Rose Backs Government Work Experience Scheme

Posted: 27/02/12 06:45 | Updated: 27/02/12 06:45 PA

Sir Stuart Rose, Department For Work And Pensions, Right To Work, Uk News, Workfare, Workfare Tesco, UK News

Sir Stuart Rose Workfare

The former head of Marks & Spencer has defended the Government's controversial work experience scheme and accused protesters of attempting to "sabotage" it.

Telegraph 9/12/13

'High street veteran Sir Stuart Rose has told people complaining about immigrants coming to work in Britain to go out and find a job of their own. The former Marks & Spencer chief executive said it was not the fault of Bulgarians or Romanians or any other nationality if they were prepared to work hard for less money than Britons would like.

He told Sky News: "I'm a free market economist, we operate in a free market. If these people want to come here, and work the hours they are prepared to work for the wages they are prepared to work for, then so be it.'

Classic "free market" boomer. Free market if it benefits them, but otherwise, please can they have a subsidy.

No more shopping at M&S then.

I stopped after having to take 3 pairs of shoes back when they fell to bits within weeks. Assistant accused be of misusing them. Apparently these shoes were not made for walking.

That's why we need political movements that recognise the dangers posed by the free flow of capital and labour to all but the 1%.

I bet Sir Stuart wouldn't work hard for anything less than a lavish salary. Bleedin' hypocrite! <_<

Absolutely what i am seeing on the front line. From an IT perspective, a majority share of Indian contractors are starting to be replaced by cheaper Polish and Eastern block workers. I believe their education system is certainly a match for ours. Apparently the Romanian education system is also very good and the kids are VERY keen to learn.

I know for sure that the wage/rate offered to the newcomers is about half of the rate that i am on. Im still working due to experience on a specific subject. For sure its a race to the bottom.

I certainly dont blame them, id do exactly the same in their position. What really gets under my skin is that decades of crap government have made zero provisions for UK grown kids to compete. I saw the start of the dumbing down when they switched from O levels to GSCE.

Summarised wikipedia biography:

Father worked in RAF and Civil Service.

Went to an independent school.

First job in BBC admin.

Joined M&S as management trainee at the age of 23. Moved up the ranks over 17 years.

Then various senior management jobs at different UK retailers, eventually returning to M&S.

I can see why he feels qualified to comment on the lives of people scratching around for zero hours contracts and a minimum wage which is collapsing in real value.

Free labour for pig companies, paid by the taxpayer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/02/27/sir-stuart-rose-right-to-work-work-experience-chris-grayling_n_1303203.html

Sir Stuart Rose Backs Government Work Experience Scheme

Posted: 27/02/12 06:45 | Updated: 27/02/12 06:45 PA

Sir Stuart Rose, Department For Work And Pensions, Right To Work, Uk News, Workfare, Workfare Tesco, UK News

Sir Stuart Rose Workfare

The former head of Marks & Spencer has defended the Government's controversial work experience scheme and accused protesters of attempting to "sabotage" it.

I don't know if this is crony capitalism or fascism without the Hugo boss uniforms.

Either way he is a massive nob. Where will his workers shop if their pay is constantly in a state of deflation and is goods constantly inflating? It's all good saying glovablisation will result in ever decreasing pay but whilst our govt inflate the cost of living remorselessly there has to be a breaking point.

I don't know if this is crony capitalism or fascism without the Hugo boss uniforms.

Either way he is a massive nob. Where will his workers shop if their pay is constantly in a state of deflation and is goods constantly inflating? It's all good saying glovablisation will result in ever decreasing pay but whilst our govt inflate the cost of living remorselessly there has to be a breaking point.

+1 Good post.

Why is globalisation 'unstoppable'?

The last time we had this level of globalisation was 1914. People said it was clearly unstoppable then. It stopped.

Who is going to buy British goods / services if they are more expensive? Nobody. Therefore the globalisation is unstoppable?

Which is where the intervention in credit markets comes from- ever cheaper borrowing to hide the malaise you describe. The approach seems to be that if the breaking point can be pushed beyond May 2015, who cares?

Support for Workfare really shows what an authoritarian slimeball this 'free marketeer' Rose is. He knows it's slave labour dolled as help, but to undermine it would be 'sabotage', with all the negative connotations.

For Company it makes sense to employee a fully qualified 30 year person from foreign country and pay him minimum wage then train a 20 year old person with no experience as the company makes more money

For society it makes NO sense to employee a fully qualified 30 year person from foreign country and pay him minimum wage then train a 20 year old person with no experience as breeds resentment and hatred of the company and foreigners.

As much as i hate doing this i will properly vote ukip every chance i get now. Although i have a ok job more people means less houses for me to buy.

Wage equilibration would be fine if the government and Bank of England would allow the cost of living to fall at the same time.

Thats the part they will fight tooth and nail to avoid ,deflation is a sin greater than wage inflation

Who is going to buy British goods / services if they are more expensive? Nobody. Therefore the globalisation is unstoppable?

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/feb/24/uk-trade-exports-imports#_

Imagine that 'The West' - i.e. the EU, and USA - decide to stop trading with 'The Rest'.

Note that although it would certainly hurt, the majority of our trade would be unaffected AND even that trade is only a minority of the actual economy.