House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Salad In A Bag

Salad in a bag, it is like scented candles. Burds seem to go wild for it. However the last few weeks what have I found in the fridge? Half finished bags left mouldering to be chucked out in the trash. Today has taken the biscuit. Burd in doors was moaning about not having her salad bag a week ago. I go and buy one - 3 quid at local prices. I check the fridge this morning prior to shopping. It has not even been touched and is now 2 days past the sell by date.

Aggghhhh!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Salad in a bag, it is like scented candles. Burds seem to go wild for it. However the last few weeks what have I found in the fridge? Half finished bags left mouldering to be chucked out in the trash. Today has taken the biscuit. Burd in doors was moaning about not having her salad bag a week ago. I go and buy one - 3 quid at local prices. I check the fridge this morning prior to shopping. It has not even been touched and is now 2 days past the sell by date.

Aggghhhh!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I always think the bags look pretty grim in the shop. My wife will often buy a bag, possibly use a small bit and then leave it into the fridge to turn into green mush.

Naturally it's my job to deal with the results.

Florette brand seem to keep really well opened or not

Supermarket own go off as soon as sell by is reached.

I never get it in supermarket shop. When I need a salad immediately I get Bag from the corner shop, then I know I will have a fair bit of it at that point.

Look up "tired salad soup" as a recipe for the manky remains however

The total amount in the bag adds up to less than if you bought them separately, which makes it about the only way I can buy salad and eat it all before it goes off.

Lidl's spinnach lasts 9.75 years in the bag. Incredible stuff

1. Do not buy salad on cold winter days.

2. Your 'burd' is doing that female thing where they convince themselves that they will lose weight simply by buying, rather than eating, salad. Was it pie and chips for tea?

3. Your use of 'burd' is fascinating for your partner. I am not sure whether to call you a mysogynist or to nominate you for CCC Man of the Year.

Why on earth was a salad in a bag invented?.......everything you can think about it is wrong.

...washed and prepared, cut and wrapped in a cellophane coating, all you have to do is research what starts off being a fresh and natural, healthy, tasty lettuce, and the processes it goes through to become an easy labour saving, instant, time and effort product for the time or effort poor...an inferior product with a superior price. ;)

Why on earth was a salad in a bag invented?.......everything you can think about it is wrong.

...washed and prepared, cut and wrapped in a cellophane coating, all you have to do is research what starts off being a fresh and natural, healthy, tasty lettuce, and the processes it goes through to become an easy labour saving, instant, time and effort product for the time or effort poor...an inferior product with a superior price. ;)

It has the great benefit of having a short shelf life in the shop, so you can often get a bag of something exotic and pungent for 20p at the end of the day, eat it that evening at dinner time and it's just a little novelty.

Couldn't imagine buying it full price regularly, it's a bit like those packets of pre-sliced carrot and broccoli, or ready-mashed potatos.

As I said upthread it has the one big advantage of providing salad without having to throw a lot away because the portions are too large. I don't remember seeing a quarter lettuce for sale.

Nonsense

It's washed and put in a bag of nitrogen

It has the great benefit of having a short shelf life in the shop, so you can often get a bag of something exotic and pungent for 20p at the end of the day, eat it that evening at dinner time and it's just a little novelty.

Couldn't imagine buying it full price regularly, it's a bit like those packets of pre-sliced carrot and broccoli, or ready-mashed potatos.

Exotic and pungent :D ....rocket et al, grows like a weed if given the right conditions, leaves will grow over winter months if a bit of dedicated time and effort is given to it......pre-sliced anything says much of any nutrients or flavour assigned to it has already been taken from it due to the processing application put on it.

As I said upthread it has the one big advantage of providing salad without having to throw a lot away because the portions are too large. I don't remember seeing a quarter lettuce for sale.

A fresh lettuce can keep for a week if stored correctly at the right temperature, bottom of the fridge, you can pick what you need, wash and come again...much of the pre packed salad leaves have been picked longer than a week by the time they are processed and put on the shop floor for sale.

Nonsense

It's washed and put in a bag of nitrogen

So I have heard....not the kind of air I would like to breathe let alone eat, not very fresh. ;)

A fresh lettuce can keep for a week if stored correctly at the right temperature, bottom of the fridge, you can pick what you need, wash and come again...much of the pre packed salad leaves have been picked longer than a week by the time they are processed and put on the shop floor for sale.

Add in more than one thing (unless you want salads of nothing but lettuce) and it's a lot for one person to get through. Getting too much and trying to use it up results in more wasted than just getting what you want.

So I have heard....not the kind of air I would like to breathe let alone eat, not very fresh. ;)

Air is mostly nitrogen anyway. Not sure what this time thing is all about; it's only fresh if it's recent, whether or not its decomposing yet? I don't see any difference between keeping it in a fridge to stop it from decomposing and putting it in an atmosphere where it doesn't. It's only potentially an issue when chemical methods get used so you end up eating stuff that wasn't there to begin with.

Salad is pretty easy to grow, even in relatively confined spaces. I'm currently still munching through lettuce, rocket, radicchio, endive, mizuna, tatsoi, along with grated turnip, fennel and beetroot. All grown outside, underneath an old scaffolding net. Rather than pulling an entire plant I have the luxury of snagging a few leaves here and there, every few days.

A lot of people don't have the time, the wherewithal or inclination to grow even a little bit of salad but, even so, personally I'd still wash the packeted stuff before eating it...

Graunidad 2008:

Why does anyone buy pre-washed, bagged salad? Well, obviously, because it looks so fresh and lovely and it's so clean and convenient, it must be good for you, never mind that it costs a fortune. And because ignorance is bliss. Now, a professor from Imperial College London has gone and ruined it by warning that food-poisoning cases are likely to increase as people buy more salad this way. Pre-washed doesn't mean safe to eat, he said. It can just mean "looks clean but actually is contaminated with salmonella or E coli". Buy a bag of pre-washed salad and you need to wash it all over again.

More than four years ago, I deconstructed a ready-to-eat washed salad bag for my book Not on the Label. I pointed out that between 1992 and 2000, the period during which the new phenomenon of bagged salads took off, nearly 6% of food-poisoning outbreaks were associated with prepared vegetables and salads. A study in 1996 of retail samples of bagged salad found 13% contained E coli.

I was contacted more recently by someone who worked as a "quality controller" in the industry and had long experience of a large salad-washing factory. It was as bad, if not worse, than I said, he told me. The leaves are washed in huge tanks of water that is only changed once a day and merely topped up in between. The mud and dirt builds up. At periods of peak demand, and with pressure on prices, the system gets close to breaking point. Chlorine added to the water to control pathogens was supposed to be computer-regulated, but sometimes they were having to add extra doses by hand. (cont)

Add in more than one thing (unless you want salads of nothing but lettuce) and it's a lot for one person to get through. Getting too much and trying to use it up results in more wasted than just getting what you want.

Air is mostly nitrogen anyway. Not sure what this time thing is all about; it's only fresh if it's recent, whether or not its decomposing yet? I don't see any difference between keeping it in a fridge to stop it from decomposing and putting it in an atmosphere where it doesn't. It's only potentially an issue when chemical methods get used so you end up eating stuff that wasn't there to begin with.

So if there are not enough in one household to eat one lettuce before it goes off, share with a friend....swap half a lettuce for half a cabbage.....I'll make the coleslaw, or buy veg that can be frozen or made into meals to freeze for a meal later in the month....cook and buy seasonal food in bulk.....you know it makes sense. ;)

I wonder who buys pre-sliced carrots? <_<

So if there are not enough in one household to eat one lettuce before it goes off, share with a friend....swap half a lettuce for half a cabbage.....I'll make the coleslaw, or buy veg that can be frozen or made into meals to freeze for a meal later in the month....cook and buy seasonal food in bulk.....you know it makes sense. ;)

Friend?

Friend?

Neighbour.....or your save money shopping group, can save time and fuel money also sharing shopping duties......people who save together stay together, groups that share are more powerful than solitary units who have to buy many individual items they may not use effectively, far more waste in money, time and resources that way. ;)

Lidl's spinnach lasts 9.75 years in the bag. Incredible stuff

1. Do not buy salad on cold winter days.

2. Your 'burd' is doing that female thing where they convince themselves that they will lose weight simply by buying, rather than eating, salad. Was it pie and chips for tea?

3. Your use of 'burd' is fascinating for your partner. I am not sure whether to call you a mysogynist or to nominate you for CCC Man of the Year.

I remember when I was training hard for a marathon and i was making the most of my £3 session in the gym in the winter time, I was going on the running machine/step machine/rowing machine/weights/static bicycle for a few hours whilst a couple of large ladies were sitting on the bikes chatting for 20 minutes then a short walk on the treadmill, followed by some more chatting sitting on the rowing machine. and they probably threw the towel in after a month because it wasn't working for them...

<br />I wondered who bought salad.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

It'll be repressed mildly homosexual Tory voters :-)