House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
juvenal

Mp's To Get 11% Pay Rise

Well the weather is not too good, mandela is dead, and the uk traffic control system has collapsed. There's not going to be a better opportunity, after midnight before the weekend to, release this.

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2013/07/02_fc.jpg

I got this from the Channel 4 website. It shows MP's salaries compared to the average wage in the country. At £66k (the current rate), the UK is 2.2 the average wage, quite low by European standards.

There are other benefits from being an MP, which makes international comparisons even harder, but the article gives some further explanation:

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-do-we-pay-mps-too-much

you gotta feel for them, after all, the rest of the public sector get this rise through pay scales every year.

There are other benefits from being an MP, which makes international comparisons even harder, but the article gives some further explanation:

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-do-we-pay-mps-too-much

They've made a reasonable stab at a comparison but as ever it is hard. Lets take my local MP (in France), he's also mayor of a town with more than 10,000 residents so that's a load of extra wonga, he sits on the regional council (there are layer upon layer of local government in France) and also sits on the board of the regional park and on the audio-visual committee. He's probably clearing 30K /month with all those extras. That's typical for an MP here. Then there are the backhanders from the various boondoggles he hands out to local companies. Plus the 3,000 to 5,000 euro key money to get a council flat, payable in cash in a brown paper envelope if you please. On top of all that he gets a gold plated pension and is hoping to become a minister to get a gold plated ministers pension (he only had to be a minister for a day to get that!). It is a level of troughing that makes UK MPs look parsimonious.

Edited by davidg

Given that MPs are now collectively working against the interests of the majority of the population it's difficult to say what would be a fair salary.

No they don't.

what...pay scales dont exist?...or MPs have them already?

what...pay scales dont exist?...or MPs have them already?

I live in Liverpool were half the city seems to work for the government and talking with my wife and friends the public sector have not even had above inflation pay increases for the past 5 years.

Presumably they are paid PAYE so an 11% payrise means;

Pre tax (new) salary: £74,000

tax £19,422

NI £ 4,695

Net salary: £49,883.

If they get less expenses/pension perks in exchange for a higher salary it might be better because expenses are not subject to NI and tax, they are just claimed. I would rather there be a clear system whereby if they are going to be paid more then it is paid via PAYE and in return they get less expenses and benefits perks and have to pay for these things from income from an after tax salary, rather than claiming as an expense.

They should receive no salary and only genuine out-of-pocket expenses.

You'd only get people who are independently wealthy if you did that.

I'd probably bump it up to the median household income, a free apartment in a purpose-built block in Elephant and Castle, and free standard class public transport anywhere in the UK (for the MP alone).

You'd only get people who are independently wealthy if you did that.

I'd probably bump it up to the median household income, a free apartment in a purpose-built block in Elephant and Castle, and free standard class public transport anywhere in the UK (for the MP alone).

Yes, you could be right.

Although MPs did not receive salaries until the Liberals introduced them in 1911.

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN05075.pdf

They are scum, and I would not give them the steam off my p*ss. They should be culled, and I don't mean the number of seats reduced. I will happily dance on their graves.

The politicians are just the product of out economic system. They are some of the last representatives of the 'middle-class', that dying breed constantly striving to feather it's nest in the face of inflation and currency devaluation.

Don't hate them. That solves nothing.

Just don't support the economic system that created them.

I live in Liverpool were half the city seems to work for the government and talking with my wife and friends the public sector have not even had above inflation pay increases for the past 5 years.

they forget the payscales....I used to and my union trumpeted the measly rise we were getting...my pay went up 50% that year due to the measly rise and the payscale leap.(£20 to £30 per week)(1977ish)

Edited by Bloo Loo

they forget the payscales....I used to and my union trumpeted the measly rise we were getting...my pay went up 50% that year due to the measly rise and the payscale leap.(£20 to £30 per week)(1977ish)

Anecdotal evidence from 36 years ago, great stuff.

I am on the lowest pay scale for my grade due to a promotion 2 and a half years ago. My pay scale has been frozen until 2015 (and probably longer)

I am on the lowest pay scale for my grade due to a promotion 2 and a half years ago. My pay scale has been frozen until 2015 (and probably longer)

I know people that have remained on a particular spine point for over a decade - very competent people. Of course, I know different examples too. It is too easy to generalise to support an opinion.

Going back to MPs, many of whom I have no time for politically, I still respect the job for the workload it entails, and on that count, I don't think the pay is exorbitant.

Edited by LiveinHope

are you saying you arent moving up the scale, or that the payments in the scale are frozen?...pay rises are an increase to the payscale, so the simple act of staying in the job gets you a payrise when you move up the scale.

or arent these payrises..as in, getting more pay today than last year?

confused

I'm totally happy with this, I think they're underpaid for a very hard job.

It's the expenses allowances and employing of family members that I object to.