House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Anna_1980

Cost Of Bathroom Fitting (Sorry If Not The Right Forum)

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of getting quote for the bathroom to be refitted.

The job includes rip the current suite and fit a new one (toilet, sink staying where they are, bath gets taps in the middle rather than the end, high pressure shower), stud wall fitted, old tiles removed and the bathroom half tiled half plastered, floor levelled and tiled), new chrome rail same location

bathroom size is 1.8 by 2.2.

Cost - 8300 (with tiles worth £750)

I do not have a breakdown and I just wonder am I taken for a ride or is this the correct price?

(new suite & fitting included)

Edited by Anna_1980

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of getting quote for the bathroom to be refitted.

The job includes rip the current suite and fit a new one (toilet, sink staying where they are, bath gets taps in the middle rather than the end, high pressure shower), stud wall fitted, old tiles removed and the bathroom half tiled half plastered, floor levelled and tiled), new chrome rail same location

bathroom size is 1.8 by 2.2.

Cost - 8300 (with tiles worth £750)

I do not have a breakdown and I just wonder am I taken for a ride or is this the correct price?

(new suite & fitting included)

Dont know where you are but i think you are being ripped off. Depends on value of fittings but i would be looking for a labour charge of about £2.5k in the North West

I would say £3k tops for labour, theres about a weeks work at the very most

Agreed. I would add - find a Polish bloke. I was given a quote for £8k to do two small shower rooms (not including tiles which cost me another £600 or so) by a local guy found off yellow pages.

My wife - ever-creative - got chatting to a Polish girl on the tills at B&W, inevitably her brother in law did bathrooms, numbers were swapped he came and did the lot for under £5k all-in including tiles - this included all the bits which I bought online based on a list he gave me. Labour was about £2400 IIRC.

I had this over and over again, after buying a place recently, whether it's roofers, plumbers, gas fitters, painters - every English guy I spoke to was just taking the piss either price-wise, or over-committing on work and having so many things on the go that everything took three times as long as it was supposed to. (Sometimes both). Niech Żyje Polska!

Total rip off.

1. Be wary. The high quote guys usually have made more than their money when they have delivered the raw materials which they will get at around 40 to 60 % of whatever they will bill you.

So, just delivering the material they have made enough vitamin m to not bother returning to the job!

2. They have plenty of work and don't want to lose another big clueless fish. So they'll take the job, deliver the material and return as is convenient to finish the job. You call them to chase them and if they lose their head, they wont return. Doesn't hurt them as per No.1.

3. Best to use one of the websites to get quotes. Place description as you already have. give you budget and see if there are any takers who will visit and quote.

Well it possibly depends where you live...

I live in Bristol and my bathroom (similar size) cost £4400 all-in (the DAB radio mirror was £400 of the total). Installation cost £2500 which included removal of old suite and tiles. I bought the new floor and wall tiles in a bank holiday sale for £330. All walls were fully tiled. Removal of the old suite and tiling took the first week. The installer sourced the suite, shower and taps, but his communication by email was excellent. FWIW the installer was assisted by a Polish chap. Afterwards the flat was covered in dust, presumably from the tile cutting - not a big deal.

I had previously got a quote from a nearby high street shop, but was shocked at the £5000 installation cost. I also got a quote from B&Q, which was better than that, but still prompted me to phone around.

I was happy with the quality of the work and the cost. Perhaps I just got lucky in my choice of installer. Interestingly I was asked by a neighbour to see the finished bathroom and I think that fairly recently he must have done their bathroom too, as I saw his van parked outside for a couple of weeks.

If you are in Central London then it is cheap. I could not have afforded to do a bathroom refit for that little in town when I was working in the UK, but I had enough of traffic wardens and other hassle so got out.

If it is anywhere else, then at first glance it does seem dear but you would need a rough breakdown of costs to decide. Bear in mind professionals get charged for things like waste disposal and the like which a DIYer doesn't.

Also if you had a salesman round to sell it to you then you can count on a third of the price you pay being his commission. Get another quote for the same work (but do not mention the first quote to the other guy).

Don't use big national bathroom firms either (the likes of Dolphin etc) , as they are the worst. They sell cheap (not to you)bathroom equipment and use any idiot that calls themselves a plumber, tiler, carpenter or bathroom fitter as labour. We put many, many jobs right after these clowns had left, often having to start from scratch again. These customers also had a lot of trouble trying to get their money back, and I don't think many suceeded.

Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback - yes, I did choke on my flat coffee:))

Also today I have received 2 quotes for the same work (to supply my suit and tiles) for around £2 - £2.5k

And yes you were right it was one of the biggish companies and a salesmen...

You're 'adding value' ! It's an 'investment' ! The more it costs the bigger the number you can triple and add to the price when you sell! Crazy to spend less than 50k !

mumsnet